It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woot! Oxford English Dictionary adds 400 new words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Woot! Oxford English Dictionary adds 400 new words

The Oxford English Dictionary has just added 400 new words to their official list. The 400 new words now put the dictionary over 240,000 words, as spotted by Mashable.com

Last year Oxford introduced a number of abbreviated words like "LOL", "FYI", "OMG", and even a non-acronymic ♥. This year, Oxford has added the words "Woot", "Sexting", "Cyberbullying", "Retweet", "Follower", and a lot more. The addition only further proves the affects social networking and media have on us.

www.neowin.net...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me. Woot and retweet is in the oxfor dictionary???? What a sad sad world we live in today. What I would do to go back in time during the Shakespearean days. Dramatists and poets. Days where literary artists actually existed.

What do we have today?

edit on 20-8-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

OMG, WTF, just FYI this world is going to SH**.. LMFAO
edit on 20-8-2011 by SevenOhhTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
MGITRTHFPTTFCW?

(My goodness is it really that hard for people to type full complete words?)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

These days it is especially in America the home of burying our heads in burger king, and cell phones..

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
So....just imagine: That's gonna be classical music one day.
For the words?

Can we justify a book burning of those dictionaries? lol

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

If I was a rapper today I would be so embarrassed if future civilizations find the kind of music I wrote today. Remember the Golden Record went sent out to outer space back then?

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

I really hope we don't sent a new one with the new music we have today... Aliens might come and kill us all.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Ugh, I bet theyd send out that newish song "ET" with Katy perry or someone, i forget who though

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Ugh, I bet theyd send out that newish song "ET" with Katy perry or someone, i forget who though

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Oh my gosh, I need the dictionary to even remotely understand what those words mean.
And I'm a teenager, boy the public are just getting dumber and dumber

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
i don't get why everyone is acting like this is the end of the world or downfall of mankind. they're new words in the dictionary. as the world turns, we need new words sometimes, and sometimes they just happen and they stick around. some of it is slang, but you literally have no idea how much slang and word corruptions evolved into your sacred english lagnuage, otherwise you wouldn't complain about this for a second. it's not oxford's job to hand pick and choose the english lexicon as they see fit, they're just doing their job by adding these new words that are trending in our vocuabulary. also i think you really underestimate how profoundly impacting and convenient social networking is to the world.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
MGITRTHFPTTFCW?

(My goodness is it really that hard for people to type full complete words?)

it's for convenience...
also, don't tell me how to type or judge me or anyone by the way they type or talk. as long as you can understand them and they can can accurately express themselves, you should be happy.
edit on 20-8-2011 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

What do we have today?

Yeah!! WOOO!! Lyrics for anyone who was wondering:

walk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it outwalk it out I walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out walk it out

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Woot! I haven't looked that up yet but I hope it means the same as my son does when he sees a great car. He goes WOOT! or sometimes WOOFT! and usually it's slightly high-pitched and girly.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I don't see the issue why people get so upset.. all I have to do is pick up a local dictionary from 100 years ago to see their language (before standard British English was rammed down everyones throats) was very similar to text speak (obviously without the clever use of numerals) It's not as though English is made up of one stream of thought or abides by one set of rules.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
also, don't tell me how to type or judge me or anyone by the way they type or talk. as long as you can understand them and they can can accurately express themselves, you should be happy.
That's the problem, I have a hard time understanding all those groups of letters, it's more a way of separating people in groups (the ones that understand those "words" and the ones that do not) than joining them with a common language.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
They should have added "lulz".

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by shagreen heart
That's the problem, I have a hard time understanding all those groups of letters, it's more a way of separating people in groups (the ones that understand those "words" and the ones that do not) than joining them with a common language.

Don't feel bad, I have a hard time understanding these letters too.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

You gotta be kidding me. Woot and retweet is in the oxfor dictionary???? What a sad sad world we live in today. What I would do to go back in time during the Shakespearean days. Dramatists and poets. Days where literary artists actually existed.

What do we have today?

edit on 20-8-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

Getting old eh?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
As a couple of people have already pointed out, English didn't just appear, fully formed in the first dictionary. It evolved, and still evolves. I bet Shakespeare would have gone "Woot" if he was alive to see the latest changes.

I was delighted when I bought a new copy a few years ago and (as you do) checked all the swear words were present. You know you have a quality dictionary when it has rimming in it.

top topics

join