It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Beckel horrifies co-hosts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Source

A Fox News “The Five” panel member apologized repeatedly Friday for using racially-tinged language on air.

The panel was discussing the possibility of Michael Vick – the NFL player who was once convicted of dog fighting in Virginia and served 19 months in prison -- getting a dog. Beckel then slipped into a Southern twang and explained his view of the type of people who watch dog fighting.

“What?” asked panelist Andrea Tantaros after Beckel described them as being consumers of “RC Cola” and “MoonPies.”

“I’m sorry. I’m talking about a bunch of rednecks down in that place where he was running those things,” Beckel responded as he tried to cue a commercial break. “I used to be a redneck, I can talk about rednecks.”

He was speaking like a human being not a programmed machine. Being politically incorrect is not a crime, at least not yet. Everyone acts like he said he murdered someone when all that was said is the people who are most likely to spend time at dog fighting matches are rednecks, plain and simple. Of course the common ‘redneck’ would be disgusted by such actions but he was only expressing his opinion. Plus when is saying redneck a racially tinged statement?

What I found most interesting however was this part:

Gutfeld suggested Beckel needed to get a new dictionary.

“I don’t need a damn thing … I’m a liberal and I can get away with this stuff,” replied Beckel, who helped run the campaign of Democrat Walter Mondale in 1984.

edit on 8/19/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
He is right, Liberals have gotten away with saying stuff like that for as long as I can remember.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
lol!

bob is a character.

he says nothing on the 5, he has nothing to say!

he is like alan colmes when he was on hannity.

he didn't horrify them, he does it all the time.

they should get some decent shills for the dnc.

he's lucky to have a job.

i do appreciate his work with addicts.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Whats wrong with RC Cola and Moonpies?

I am from and live in the south and have never heard of RC Cola and Moonpies associated with any specific race. Its a southern thing, not a ethnic thing.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

That's hardly a horrifying thing.

he made a stupid joke, it's not like he made some horrific dead baby joke on national TV.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I absolutely despise the word redneck. or how it has been twisted I should say, and I hate when it is used on the forum, I doubt beckel even knows its origins,

en.wikipedia.org...

The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[10]

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political coalitions (Democratic Party) of the poor white farmers in the South.[11] The same group was also often called the "wool hat boys" (for they opposed the rich men, who wore expensive silk hats). A newspaper notice in Mississippi in August 1891 called on rednecks to rally at the polls at the upcoming primary election:[12]

Primary on the 25th.
And the "rednecks" will be there.
And the "Yaller-heels" will be there, also.
And the "hayseeds" and "gray dillers," they'll be there, too.
And the "subordinates" and "subalterns" will be there to rebuke their slanderers and traducers.
And the men who pay ten, twenty, thirty, etc. etc. per cent on borrowed money will be on hand, and they'll remember it, too.

By 1910, the political supporters of the Mississippi Democratic Party politician James K. Vardaman—chiefly poor white farmers—began to describe themselves proudly as "rednecks," even to the point of wearing red neckerchiefs to political rallies and picnics.[13]

By the 1970s, the term had turned into offensive slang and had expanded its meaning to mean bigoted, loutish and opposed to modern ways, and was often used as a term to attack Southern white conservatives and racists.[

I can't stand Beckel or that show.

My father and grandfather where Immigrant blacksmiths that worked the coal mines,

The United Mine Workers of America (UMW) and rival miners' unions appropriated both the term redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia between 1912 and 1936. The origin of redneck to mean "a union man" or "a striker" remains uncertain, but according to linguist David W. Maurer, the former definition of the word probably dates at least to the 1910s, if not earlier. The use of redneck to designate "a union member" was especially popular during the 1920s and 1930s in the coal-producing regions of southern West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and western Pennsylvania, where the word came to be specifically applied to a miner who belonged to a union.

redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia between 1912 and 1936.
edit on 123131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
There has to be a grit pun in here somewhere!

"Politically Correct" is out of control. Get over it people. Sometimes I feel like this world is truning into a bunch of weenies, pardon my ...... (you fill in the word, I dont want to be insulting to anyone).

My wife is in Human Resources at a bank and I swear the stuff she has to tippy toe around is just insane.
Ok pardon me ,let me apologize,to any of the thin skins, (eyeroll) my American ,Freedom of Speech, rant is over.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Calling someone a redneck isn't on the list of political correctness, and no I wont get over it.

wiki.answers.com...

I would like to stick Beckel in a coal mine for 12 hours a day, or out in a hot field,
edit on 123131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well I'm probably a 100% hardcore redneck, and I've been to local dog fights a few times, hell the local sheriff runs them 2nd tuesday of every month out at the county jail in the field next door. The county jail is about 10 miles south of town surrounded by dirt roads and 50 acres.

Every 2nd tuesday the "good ol' boys" we usually call them all head out there, money is bet, beers are drank, and bbq is grilled

Course this is deep southern Georgia territory, and in the "sticks" as we call it, but here if a neighbors dog runs in your yard it's ok to shoot it if you have given the neighbor warning first.

town stuck in the 50's so to speak, but in the deep south people don't get in trouble for crap like Vick did. I won't argue the ethics of it, but I never saw a problem either.

But I guess that's why I'm a redneck

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The man is obviously a liar. A liberal working for the regressive propaganda machine? Yeah right

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
bob said something about that today going on how everyone could be a redkneck

but pick your thread on ats and see who gets away with racism and who doesnt and who gets away with it on tv and who doesnt.

why just today janense garfolo or however you spell it said the gop picked herman cain cause he was black.

i tell ya if i had a do over i should have been a liberal i could get away with anything and i do mean anything.

dont really like beckel all that much and as much stupidity i hear him say nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
the 5 is a fail in my opinion.

it doesn't say anything, they might as well light up and break out the keg.

i never hear anything from the left i can believe or agree with. that's why i switched after 50yrs.

i know what i'm getting on the right or whatever people are saying/promising.

"if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

hey obama and st. pauly backers!
edit on 20-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Redneck doesn't bother me, it's a social-political thing. What annoys me (although not greatly) is calling a Redneck a Cajun's cousin.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
hey now at first i didnt know what to think about the 5 but its been growing on me.

beck is a tough act to follow

edit on 20-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wow, and when did the GOP pick him? We barely got the Straw Poll finished. Well the Progs will have negative things to say any way it goes. They are tearing up Allen West too now. If Allen West ran I'd go for him. Maybe that's for another time though. Or maybe he could go with VP for Ron Paul then slip in after Paul finishes his term.
edit on 20-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

beckel slams paul

poor paul hes too right for the left and hes too left for the right.

paul/napalitano 2012!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
hey now at first i didnt know what to think about the 5 but its been growing on me.

beck is a tough act to follow

edit on 20-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

it's like the super groups from the 80's. no wheresville.

throw the best together and it is better, naw. it's like putting the 5 most popular music styles together and wondering why it sounds like crap.(30 rock)lol!!

this won't last long. beck is hard to replace.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

oh Judge Napolitano, I really like that guy too. A true Constiutionalist. True Honor.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

nah i give the 5
6 months to a 1 year if that long

maybe sooner if beckel keeps up

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I don't have any problem with the RC cola and moon pies remark. I don't think anyone with a reasonable sense of humor would.

When he tried to explain that he was talking about a bunch of rednecks, I thought, "Uh oh. Now he's sticking his foot in his mouth."

Then, when they came back form commercial, he started explaining about rednecks by saying,"...whites are rednecks, blacks are rednecks, chinamen are rednecks...". That's when I facepalmed.

Chinamen?

I'll bet that's going to catch more flack than anything else he said.
edit on 20-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join