It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone seen the flashing star ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Is it flashing in the EAST?

who are we killing this time?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
it just popped in my mind, could it be betelgeuse going supernova? then again, we'd get to know it already plus it'd be only visible during winter as i'm in the northern hemisphere.

edit on 22-8-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have also seen this thing over yorkshire in england. Could not say what it though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i think i found the dude. it may be arcturus, it appears somewhat nortwest in my pov, and moves towards east as time passes by so it's nearly overhead when the clock hits 1.00 - 1.30 a.m.

These stars are among the top five brightest stars in the sky. When they appear low to the horizon and are shining through a thicker layer of haze, they can sometimes appear to splinter into different colors (called the scintillation effect). Thus, these normally white stars could appear red or green.

You can see Arcturus low on the northwest horizon around 10 p.m. Capella appears low in the northeast around the same time, while Sirius, the brightest of all stars, emerges in the southeast around 3 a.m.

says the farmer's almanac.
edit on 23-8-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First of all I was commenting on the movie trailer posted. It clearly is suggesting this theory of this Niburu planet. Secondly, I never said it does exist. I was only implying that everyone suggests they can see a strange star and that its Niburu like the movie trailer. Hence why I posted my previous post. reply to post by Red_xi

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It is the star Sirius
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Twinkle Twinkle little star, some stars actually do that. My guess is Vega. I am in Pa. and it is most likely one of the brightest stars in the west right now. Had my scope out at 4am today but was looking at Jupiter, moon and Orion Nebula in the east.

edit on 8/23/2011 by mugger because: add photo

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Okie doke. So I live in east central Texas, Fort Hood area between Austin and Waco. I tell you all that to give you a location while describing the "twinkling star" I see. I live way out in the country and it's completely dark out here with no city or street lights and I occassionaly go out back to smoke. The back of my house points directly east. I have never seen this star at night when I have gone out to smoke, but when I walk out back in the morning around 5:30am I have a perfect view of it. First time I noticed it, I was just stunned, and I showed my hubby and kids. We were all pretty impressed as it flickered hues of red, blue (green), and white very rapidly. It looks huge in the sky at this time of the morning. Like I said my back porch faces directly east, so this little star is off to the southeast at this time in the morning. It is only a short distance from Orions Belt which is a little further to the left of it or further east if you perfer it that way. I have no idea what it is, but it sure is cool looking. There is a planetarium about 10 miles from me, so maybe I will go inquire one day and see what they tell me.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

To the east in the Orion Belt, seems like Betelgeuse, Mars is just in that area also between the Gemini twins.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Do the three stars of Orion's belt point to it (almost)? If so, you're seeing Sirius. The brightest (and when low in the sky, the twinkliest) star in the sky.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I just did a quick check in Stellarium (someone mentioned Illinois), Sirius would only be visible shortly before sun-rise.

But there is a VERY prominent Jupiter rather deep down on the horizon, in the E.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig
I actually saw a twinkly, large star a couple of years ago. I was told by my grandfather that it was a sattelite.
I can't tell a star and a sattelite apart. They look the same to me.

A satellite is moving in a straight line.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I can see the star in question but its no where near Orions Belt. When my phone has charged up ill use google sky and see what it is.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Good call with Sirius also. Was just looking at the Orion Nebula this morning at 4 to 4:30. Just barely coming up.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The star that people are seeing in the north eastern sky must be Capella. A couple of nights ago, this star along with Jupiter and The Moon were all in a straight line going from north east to east at roughly 1AM.

This star caught my attention so I went to this site : www.skymapper.co.uk...

Capella does seem to be violently flashing different colours which struck me as being odd, but it is close to the horizon. As people have mentioned, stars close to the horizon will flicker more intensely.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This one is easy...

I too, have been watching this star, that twinkles with such deep arrays of scintilating color bands. While most speculate that the colors are derived from lensing from Earth's atmosphere, the real reason this star is so much more than that is because it is more dynamic that most other (boring) twinklers... Known as a Super Nova... Here's one that'll make you look twice!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/556c394e22b2.jpg[/atsimg]

Eye of God Planetary Nebula

This spectacular object, a dying star unraveling into space, is a favorite of amateur and professional astronomers alike. Spitzer has mapped the expansive outer structure of the six-light-year-wide nebula, and probed the inner region around the central dead star to reveal what appears to be a planetary system that survived the star's chaotic death throes.

I have always considered this nebula to be a real eye opener, and every time I am reminded of it it still blows my mind to see the exact replication of the human eye as a planetary super nova that combines the coldness of the beauty of blue eyes with the shocking horror of the hunter-killer efficiency of a Terminator... staring right at you!...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ae08114de7b.jpg[/atsimg]

This image is a composite showing ionized H-alpha (green) and O III (blue) gases from the Hubble Space Telescope, and molecular hydrogen (red) from Spitzer observations at 4.5 and 8.0 microns.

NOW you guys can say "Case Closed"...

edit on 23-8-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Except that with an apparent magnitude of +13.5, the Helix Nebula is not visible to the naked eye.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Except that with an apparent magnitude of +13.5, the Helix Nebula is not visible to the naked eye.

I wasn't actually saying it was the Helix nebula, I was using the example of the Helix nebula to explain why the star in question is so dynamic compared to all the others...

existing stars twinkle... exploding stars do exactly what the OP explains them as doing... scintilating! from deep royal blue, flash to bright red, fade to golden yellow, then back over to turquoise.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I've never seen a supernova but so does Sirius.

So does Arcturus.

So does any bright star. Twinkling and scintillation are the same thing.

edit on 8/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I do believe so Phage. I will look again in the morning when I walk out before taking the kids to the bus and I will let you know if that is exactly how I describe it's location. It is quite beautiful
I don't think it's ominous or anything, just really pretty

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join