It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Believers Who Feel Abundant Emotions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I was wondering if there were any Atheists here how feel a lot of emotions? I would like to hear some point of views. I don't mind whether emotions are positive or negative I just want to know about them, though I would rather hear the positve ones.

A new set of studies in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology finds that atheists and agnostics report anger toward God either in the past or anger focused on a hypothetical image of what they imagine God must be like. Julie Exline, a psychologist at Case Western Reserve University and the lead author of this recent study, has examined other data on this subject with identical results. Exline explains that her interest was first piqued when an early study of anger toward God revealed a counterintuitive finding: Those who reported no belief in God reported more grudges toward him than believers.

winteryknight.wordpress.com...[editby ]edit on 19-8-2011 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
How can an Atheist be mad at something they don't believe in? They might be mad that they wasted most of their life believing bullsh*t that is the Bible.

Other then that, from what I can tell, most atheists don't care. Each one has their own view, that's just my opinion based off observation.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

Well, the source of the article you cited is a right wing, Christain publication. I guess that accounts for the lack of logic within the article itself.

Atheists don't believe in god. They don't get mad at him because of some percieved image that they may have of him. They don't believe in him. They may have abundant emotion toward someone telling them how they feel though.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
How can an Atheist be mad at something they don't believe in? They might be mad that they wasted most of their life believing bullsh*t that is the Bible.

Other then that, from what I can tell, most atheists don't care. Each one has their own view, that's just my opinion based off observation.

Well you are obviously mad about something because you call the bible bullsh*t, so apparently you cared about it at one point in time and something changed that. Bad experience i guess or did you run afoul of pseudo-christians?

Too many people focus on the bible being a collection of stories wether or not it is true does not matter. What matters is the MESSAGES contained in the book. Sadly most people do not get the messages, instead they get tangled up in wether "this" is real or "that" is real and end up blinded and unable to see the forest through the trees. Jesus had alot of good messages to learn from if people would only bother to read them and heed them.
edit on 20-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I feel like life has no objective meaning. We are just like shrrubery, or some algae, we evolved to our enviroment; but as we have the advantage of conscioussness, we can attribute our own meaning to life, we have the enjoyments that other lifeforms have not evolved to experience, not that they are worse off, they just evolved in different ways, and respond differently to their enviroment.

Sometimes I look at how parasitic we are to the earth, compared to other species. Because of our minds, our intelligence we have overcome obstacles, humans have been known to survive in the coldest of conditions and the hottest. Compared to other animals, we have taken over the Earth, I sometimes think there are too many of us, but on the other hand i think that if there wern't too many, we wouldn't have found great minds (perhaps "anomolies") amongst the masses.

I don't know whether my thoughts are positive or negative; I have nothing to compare us to...... other than animals on this planet (monkeys/dolphins/elephants) Perhaps comparing our species to other species in the universe. Of course, surely there's a large chance that species amongst the universe are way more "intelligent" or "evolved" than us.
edit on 20/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

I think these thoughts are positive, for this post. I want non-believers to tell me how they feel, whether they have a person in their lives they feel passionate about, or if they are faced with different challenges from the world and feel defeated. I feel that same way you do.

I equate positive and negative to life, this is physical. To a spiritual person it is the same. We are the only species able to make a decision to help life. Well, it's crazy how we look in our recent past and we can see that it has been the opposite. The powers have used the world's wealth for themselves. I would not ask for this, but if everyone in the world was like me I'm sure we would have found a way to make natural food and protiens taste just like meat, insteading of all the war expenses that have occurred in the last 100 years. I'm not a vegeterian, I'm just saying we as a whole are capable of making decisions to help us and we have not.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Well you are obviously mad about something because you call the bible bullsh*t, so apparently you cared about it at one point in time and something changed that.

I'm not mad about it, I just call it like I see it.

Bad experience i guess or did you run afoul of pseudo-christians?

Most of my bad experiences came after I deconverted, to be honest. What's your definition of a pseudo-christian?

Too many people focus on the bible being a collection of stories wether or not it is true does not matter. What matters is the MESSAGES contained in the book. Sadly most people do not get the messages, instead they get tangled up in wether "this" is real or "that" is real and end up blinded and unable to see the forest through the trees. Jesus had alot of good messages to learn from if people would only bother to read them and heed them.

They are just that: stories. I don't think they are remotely true even if they are based on real places. I used to quote the good messages preached but I have no idea why one would think: slavery, condemning homosexuality, stoning your kids to death, stoning your wife to death for disobediance, etc are considered positive messages.

Then you have Jesus who preached Love, but he also teached "turn or burn". Which isn't any better than the OT teachings. The good doesn't outweigh the bad that is in the "good book".

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Anybody over the age of eighteen, atheist or otherwise, who'd like to participate in these studies is invited to do so:

psychology.case.edu...

I know ATS'ers like online quizzes (belief-o-matic and whatnot). Here's a quiz where you can help advance science.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyer
reply to post by NeverForget

I think these thoughts are positive, for this post. I want non-believers to tell me how they feel, whether they have a person in their lives they feel passionate about, or if they are faced with different challenges from the world and feel defeated. I feel that same way you do.

I equate positive and negative to life, this is physical. To a spiritual person it is the same. We are the only species able to make a decision to help life. Well, it's crazy how we look in our recent past and we can see that it has been the opposite. The powers have used the world's wealth for themselves. I would not ask for this, but if everyone in the world was like me I'm sure we would have found a way to make natural food and protiens taste just like meat, insteading of all the war expenses that have occurred in the last 100 years. I'm not a vegeterian, I'm just saying we as a whole are capable of making decisions to help us and we have not.

I can say i relate and agree.

We are the only species able to make a decision to help life.

Wonderful point; i think for that reason; that is why you should be "moral". I say this even as an atheist; we have the ability to help, why not help?

Peace.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Quite a few pages on this quiz, perhaps you should start a thread and ask that people participate.

Do we see the demographics/statistics at the end?

Are you collating the statistics yourself?

Peace, very interesting study, to say the least.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join