It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM newest fear-mongering psy-op: "Aliens will attack Earth to stop global warming".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The MSM started the newest hostile-alien-invasion propaganda, publishing articles about an alleged study carried by American researchers, part of the joint Pennsylvania State University/NASA, that produced a range of scenarios in which aliens could attack the earth, entitled "Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity?

It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.

Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control – and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by a Nasa-affiliated scientist and colleagues at Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future(...)

www.guardian.co.uk...

It divides projected close encounters into "neutral," those that cause mankind "unintentional harm" and, more worryingly, those in which aliens do us "intentional harm." Extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) "could attack and kill us, enslave us, or potentially even eat us. ETI could attack us out of selfishness or out of a more altruistic desire to protect the galaxy from us. We might be a threat to the galaxy just as we are a threat to our home planet," it warns(...)

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

A study that reviews a host of sci-fi scenarios for contact with extraterrestrials stirred up such a ruckus today that NASA had to step in and distance itself from the research. The controversy focuses on the idea that E.T. could well decide that we're a threat to interstellar order, and therefore we have to be stopped before we spread(...)

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

I couldn't find this study anywhere, including the website of Penn State and I really doubt that NASA would endorse a research on such subject. Though, I don't think it's a hoax. The way that MSM reported this all day, looks more like a psy-op to sum the amount of Hollywood-MK Ultra blockbusters about hostile alien invasion, this year.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I saw this on CNN earlier. Didnt someone mention using an "Alien Invation" as a false flag to merge a one world goverment? Where the hell did I read that? Seriously though, I just think their out of news today.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griever666
I saw this on CNN earlier. Didnt someone mention using an "Alien Invation" as a false flag to merge a one world goverment? Where the hell did I read that? Seriously though, I just think their out of news today.

Its mentioned all over the place.
Like this video for instance:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

looks more like a psy-op to sum the amount of Hollywood-MK Ultra blockbusters

MK Ultra was a program where people were drugged and manipulated to extreme degrees. I don't remember anything like that happening at the movie theater the last time I went....

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I want to mention in stone that disclosure is not holding hands walking down a rainbow with an alien. These claims are not rambunctious; people will not harbor a belief in anything unless something jumps out, and waves their arm trying to get attention.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
First an astroid/comet - then, the last card.

I have seen impressive UFOs. And I still cannot buy that they are from another intelligent race. They may be alien, or extraterrestrial - but an American pilot is in the cockpit.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

looks more like a psy-op to sum the amount of Hollywood-MK Ultra blockbusters

MK Ultra was a program where people were drugged and manipulated to extreme degrees. I don't remember anything like that happening at the movie theater the last time I went....

Boncho, you've just GOT to see Conspiracy Theory.

Even if you don't care for no Mel Gibson.

Pure genius.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I couldn't find this study anywhere, including the website of Penn State and I really doubt that NASA would endorse a research on such subject. Though, I don't think it's a hoax. The way that MSM reported this all day, looks more like a psy-op to sum the amount of Hollywood-MK Ultra blockbusters about hostile alien invasion, this year.

The article is linked in 2 of your own links, Fox didn't bother. It's here at Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis

This paper presents a broad synthesis of available information regarding the possible outcomes of contact with ETI. Our work is in the form of a scenario analysis: we analyze many possible ETI contact scenarios in terms of whether and how they would harm or benefit humanity. In the process, we draw upon numerous prior discussions of contact with ETI that cover a broad range of possible outcomes, but tend to do so narrowly. Although contact with ETI has been discussed in the scientific literature for over fifty years [1] and in science fiction at least since The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells in 1898, there has been relatively little effort to cumulatively analyze the possible outcomes compared to the synthesis presented here.

The writers have covered just about any idea you can think of and have clearly read the sci-fi as well as maybe a few of the more sober ufology books. The references contain some fantastic papers too. No matter how the media has presented it, there's no hysteria in here and only a couple of passages that seemed silly and unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

MSM newest fear-mongering psy-op: "Aliens will attack Earth to stop global warming".

For the last 70 years, the government has denied interest, science has eagerly ignored it and the media has ridiculed those eyewitnesses who came forward.

But now, ET may attack us because of global warming??

This has to be the most bass-ackwards, politically went nursed, misbegotten media spin job in recent memory.

Next, we'll here that ET is going to begin attacking McDonald's because they don't like Big Macs.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If I'm not very badly mistaken, I think this was debunked by MRuss in this thread.

The following quote is MRuss's words, not mine.

This is a NON STORY. On NASA Watch, the author of this story that was picked up by Drudge and the Guardian, has apologized for wrongly referencing NASA. Keith's 18 Aug 10 pm EDT note: (Sigh) This article is prominently featured on the Drudge Report with the title of "NASA REPORT: Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilizations...". This is not a "NASA report". Nor does the Guardian article accurately describe the paper's content and conclusions. Alas, NASA will probably just allow this latest misperception/mischaracterization to linger (along with all the other urban myths, faulty analyses, etc) with no response - at least none until it is too late to really make any difference. Oh yes, Drudge Report got 32,697,733 visits in the past 24 hours. Shawn Domagal-Goldman note: Some important points of clarification, PaleBlueBlog "But I do admit to making a horrible mistake. It was an honest one, and a naive one... but it was a mistake nonetheless. I should not have listed my affiliation as "NASA Headquarters." I did so because that is my current academic affiliation. But when I did so I did not realize the full implications that has. I'm deeply sorry for that, but it was a mistake born our of carelessness and inexperience and nothing more. I will do what I can to rectify this, including distributing this post to the Guardian, Drudge, and NASA Watch. Please help me spread this post to the other places you may see the article inaccurately attributed to NASA."

I'll admit to being a little worried when I heard it on the news. All kinds of conspiracies were running through my brain. Looks like the info didn't actually originate with NASA though.

I'm almost positive that there was a link in that thread with the place where the info came from, but it seems to have disappeared.

Pretty sure the info can be found at www.nasawatch.com

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I found this summary of the paper:

Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity?
A Scenario Analysis Seth D. Baum, Jacob D. Haqq-Misra, & Shawn D. Domagal-Goldman Acta Astronautica, 2011, 68(11-12): 2114-2129.
This file version: 22 April 2011.
Preprint at: sethbaum.com...

Background: Extraterrestrial Encounter
To date, humanity has not made any form of contact with extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI). But
we cannot rule out the possibility that one or more ETI exist in our galaxy, or that we could
detect, communicate with, or in other ways have contact with them in the future. There have
been many analyses of how contact would proceed, but these tend to focus narrowly on one
possible contact scenario. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the broad range of possible
ETI contact scenarios in terms of whether the contact would benefit or harm humanity. Such
scenario analysis helps train our minds to recognize patterns in actual outcomes, which can be
valuable in the event of an encounter.

Scenarios That Would Benefit Humanity
There are several ways contact could benefit humanity. Merely detecting the existence of ETI
would be beneficial because it would be such a monumental discovery – arguably the most
important discovery in human history. Or, if ETI cooperate with us, then they might be of
assistance to us on many of our intellectual and social challenges. Or, if they are uncooperative
but we defeat them, then we gain a major moral victory and the opportunity to reverse engineer
ETI technology.

Scenarios That Would Be Neutral To Humanity
There are also several ways contact could be neutral to humanity, meaning that we are indifferent
to contact with ETI. If the ETI are invisible to us then they could have no impact on us. The
invisibility could be intentional (they are hiding) or unintentional (they are too far away or are of
a form that cannot interact with us). But they could seem invisible but covertly impact us.
Another neutral scenario is if the benefits of mere detection are offset by undesirable aspects of
the encounter, such as a drain on our resources or a dispute over how to respond.

Scenarios That Would Harm Humanity
There are many ways contact could harm humanity. This is because ETI are likely much stronger
than humanity, which is in turn because humanity is a young civilization relative to astronomical
time scales. ETI could harm us intentionally in several ways. ETI could attack and kill us,
enslave us, or potentially even eat us. ETI could attack us out of selfishness or out of a more
altruistic desire to protect the galaxy from us. We might be a threat to the galaxy just as we are a
threat to our home planet. ETI could also harm us unintentionally. ETI might give us a biological
or computer disease that our defenses cannot handle. Or, ETI might mechanically crush us while
attempting some unrelated maneuver. Or, ETI might accidentally unleash some major destructive
force into the galaxy such as a runaway artificial intelligence or an effect of a poorly-executed
physics experiment. This major force might destroy the ETI too. Finally, ETI could demoralize
humanity, if we learn that we are not special or not even particularly strong within the galaxy.

summary
full paper

edit on 19-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

edit on 19-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Look, the Feds are writing zombie contingency plans. We're in a world where those in power are beyond even fabricating plausible lies--they're going straight for pipe dreams. In that type of level of credibility with the American public, at large, they can bring out the aliens for a meet&greet and most people would insist it's a lying government again, bringing hollywood trickery.

The government has had 200 years of learing to wag the dog, I'm sure they can apply it to the same situation when no one believes their official reports.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I agree with you that they're playing up that one aspect. I read the paper--or rather quick-scanned it--and there are a number of scenarios put forward. I think they just picked this scenario because they believe that it advances the global-warming scam. And because it has a sensationalist ring to it.

If the idea is that aliens destroy us altruistically to save others--why wouldn't they just solve the global warming problem themselves? And while they're at it, end our wars, stabilize our economies, and threaten our governments into submission to the people? Seems like it would be a simple enough project for beings that advanced....

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Have we had the asteroid yet? Seems like we can't have a false flag ET invasion until that's happened first if Von Braun's reported words are anything to go by.

Maybe they switched the order?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No, astroid/comet is first.

Comet Elenin?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
reply to post by redoubt

Look, the Feds are writing zombie contingency plans. We're in a world where those in power are beyond even fabricating plausible lies--they're going straight for pipe dreams. In that type of level of credibility with the American public, at large, they can bring out the aliens for a meet&greet and most people would insist it's a lying government again, bringing hollywood trickery.

The government has had 200 years of learing to wag the dog, I'm sure they can apply it to the same situation when no one believes their official reports.

Damn. I thought that was what I said...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Right, so 3 people writing a paper now equates to a whole media psy op? GET REAL.

Aliens have held a long interest for humanity, especially now that Kepler has and continues to discover habitable worlds outside our solar system.

Also, when 3 scientists publish a paper about aliens, that involved another hot issue, global warming, do you expect the media not to report on it? Is that the new rule or something? That the media is forbidden from reporting on anything involving aliens, otherwise they are part of some psy ops project?

The media reports things that are of an interest to viewers. It's not some black ops project

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
reply to post by redoubt

Those so called zombie plans were tongue in cheek joke plans about real disaster preparedness. I know I shouldn't be, but I am shocked that someone even on ATS took those plans literally.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I can just imagine the articles...

Newsflash: Aliens might explode the earth because of terrorists"
Newsflash: Aliens might kill us all because of liberal and/or republican politics
Newsflash: Aliens might kill us all if we dont have one world government
Newsflash: Aliens might punch you in the face because you are fat
Newsflash: Aliens might smite us all because of... athiests!
edit on 20-8-2011 by Vorlon128 because: grammar

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Sounds to me like a new religion in the making.

Think about this for a moment...
As the Gods appeared in the sky, earthquakes started to rumble across the planet. Light exploded from one of their chariots, and the temperature of the world fell. Trees suddenly reached to the sky, and new forms of life began to spawn...
edit on 8/20/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join