It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My freshman Republican Congressional Representative wrote me back. He says:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

On August 1, 2011, I voted against a $2.4 Trillion increase to our national debt. I continue to believe we missed an opportunity for historic spending reform in Washington and we have once again passed our problems on to another day. Although I commend our leaders for working out a temporary solution against choppy political waters, I could not join in an effort that did not solve the problems that got us in to this spot in the first place. In my opinion, America is still a financially strong nation and in the coming weeks, both parties will have to work together to find some responsible solutions to our current fiscal situation.

I had written to him, and our two senators, instructing him to watch the Dylan Ratigan video.
One of the senators "replied" with a newsletter email, but no personal response. The other has not responded at all.

"My" Congressman (who at least answered!) went on to say:

I believe that there are several factors that are contributing to our country's debt and they are all intertwined causing the financial turmoil we are experiencing. These factors are our federal tax code, the decline of our housing market, and job loss. It is important to look at how these are all interconnectedto see how fixing one aspect could potential solve multiple problems.
"Okay," I thought to myself, "Self, he is aware of what is at issue here. That is a good sign."
Oh, and he

has been selected to serve on the House Appropriations Committee for the 112th Congress as well as the Commerce, Justice, Science Subcommittee, the Financial Services Subcommittee and the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee.
So. Not part of the House Oversight Committee, but the Appropriations Committee. Seems to me he might have at least a tiny bit of influence, then....also as the Financial Services Subcommittee guy (why do they need subcommittees?)

Read on, ATS:

Thecurrent rate of unemployment is having a direct affect on the housing market and the increasing numberof foreclosures.

Duh. Ya think? Well, go ahead....

I feel that one of the reasons why America is struggling with private sector job growth is due to the United States having one of the highest corporate tax rates in the industrialized world.
So, we're taxing them TOO MUCH, is what you're saying? Wait. Let me read that again. .....Yeah, that's what you're saying. Okay. And...

With a current rate of around 34% here in the U.S., many multi-national corporations have moved a majority of the profit-generating divisions of their companies overseas to benefit from lower rates in other countries with more simplified tax codes. The corporations then leave these profits parked in overseas accounts instead of bringing the revenue back to the United States. The benefit of generating profits overseas for these corporations results in lower domestically generated profits here in the U.S. and lower income taxes. This loss of revenue from corporations has severely hurt the U.S. financially. Corporate tax revenue now only makes up about 9% of our overall incomewhereas in the 1950s and 1960s it accounted for around 30% of our annual income.

Aha!
So -- if we reduce the tax rate on them, they'll bring their ginormous profits back home and contribute to the...um...revenue that they are currently EVADING with tax havens overseas.

It is clear that we urgently need to reform the complicated corporate tax system currently in place here in the U.S to become competitive with other industrialized nations.

Would that mean the folks who will be in the new proposed Department of Competitiveness?

Unless changes are made to make our tax code more "friendly" to businesses, they will continue to exploit our system by keeping their profits overseas costing the U.S. billions of dollars in revenue and thousands of private sector jobs. I remain confident that many corporations would return to the U.S. and bring jobs back home if it was financially profitable.

That makes sense. If it were profitable to not exploit our system, they would not have left so many Americans high and dry. So, but, if we are going to be part of the "global economy", why would they go to the expense of bothering to return those jobs here? They already have a groovy deal going....it's expensive to dismantle a corporate organization and go through the process of hiring and training and renting a space and.....And .... would we have to work at the same "wage" as the foreign workers do?

Competitive tax rates might just be the catalyst that our economy needs to increase job growth and ultimately help improve the housing market. When businesses return to the U.S., private sector jobs will become available. When more people are employed, then more people are paying taxes, and when more people are paying taxes then more money is being paid to our government, which will increase revenue and help reduce our deficit. Additionally, when more people are employed then more people will be buying homes and making payments on their mortgages.

Logical. But...how will you do that?

We need to start somewhere and no one seems to be proposing any viable solutions. I feel that corporate tax reform would be a good first step.

No one? No one at all seems to be proposing viable solutions? Okay, well...then ....
I've at least managed to open a dialogue. And he has invited me to stay in touch....so....

What say, ATS?
What would YOU recommend?
edit on 19-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Aug 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed quote tag

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Well that sounds like the typical government response
By the way your post is blank.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
at least he was honest.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Guys, it's not blank now!! It was a keyboard/format error....
please read!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I also wrote my Freshman representative who later went on to vote against the increase in the debt ceiling.
In my letter I clearly stated that I thought corporate tax loopholes should be closed and that we should look at reinstating upper level tax brackets (you know, to like Reagan levels).

His response indicated that he shared my concerns
"about this administration's spending"

Well, now I am also concerned about whether he can read since I indicated no such concern. But that was all he wanted to harp on. Then he told me tax cuts for the rich would create jobs. He neglected to tell me what I already know which is that those jobs would be in a different country.

We are being led by idiots in both parties (3 if you count the Tea People separate).

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Our government is now an idiocracy:

How else to account for a former vice presidential candidate who sees reality-TV stardom as a road to the White House? Or a congressman who tweets photos of his underwear-clad genitals? Or a two-term governor of the most populous state in the country who fathers a child with his housekeeper and, when his wife files for divorce, goes out in public wearing a T-shirt that reads "I Survived Maria 1977-2010" (that refers to the years of their courtship and marriage, and, yes, this is true; it happened last week)? How else to account for a Congress that gets the nation's credit rating lowered thanks to toddler-like stubbornness over an issue that many of its members barely seem to grasp?

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

How else to account for a former vice presidential candidate who sees reality-TV stardom as a road to the White House? Or a congressman who tweets photos of his underwear-clad genitals? Or a two-term governor of the most populous state in the country who fathers a child with his housekeeper and, when his wife files for divorce, goes out in public wearing a T-shirt that reads "I Survived Maria 1977-2010" (that refers to the years of their courtship and marriage, and, yes, this is true; it happened last week)? How else to account for a Congress that gets the nation's credit rating lowered thanks to toddler-like stubbornness over an issue that many of its members barely seem to grasp?

articles.latimes.com...

"But it has electrolytes"...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I wish some wealthy ATSers would run for Congress. The more of our kind in the legislature, the better.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

Originally posted by Maluhia

articles.latimes.com...

"But it has electrolytes"...

"electrolytes are what plants crave" Best movie in a very long time.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339
I also wrote my Freshman representative who later went on to vote against the increase in the debt ceiling.
In my letter I clearly stated that I thought corporate tax loopholes should be closed and that we should look at reinstating upper level tax brackets (you know, to like Reagan levels).

His response indicated that he shared my concerns
"about this administration's spending"

Well, now I am also concerned about whether he can read since I indicated no such concern. But that was all he wanted to harp on. Then he told me tax cuts for the rich would create jobs. He neglected to tell me what I already know which is that those jobs would be in a different country.

We are being led by idiots in both parties (3 if you count the Tea People separate).

Oh I love those kind of letters. That is normally what I get, when I write my congressman or worse, my state Senator, whose letters usually go something like this.
"Thank you for showing your support for increased government spending, (or what ever I wrote to say I was against.) It has been noted that you are in favor of jobs continuing to be outsourced over seas. (by this point I am seriously face palming) Rest assured the government is doing every thing it can to torturer innocent children in the middle east by bombing their homes and leaving them to die in the street. All this is made possible because of letters like yours.
Yeah, I stopped writing after a while.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
I wish some wealthy ATSers would run for Congress. The more of our kind in the legislature, the better.

Skeptic Overlord 2012!!!

new topics

top topics

join