It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Existence is depressing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Before I get any "things could be worse" replies, let me stop you, I agree they could be worse. But let us take a brief inventory of the reasons for which I think existence is pretty depressing:

1. Air, food, and water are all poisoned.
2. Humanity increasingly becoming alienated from one another and from the possibilities of spiritual emancipation.
3. Economy, also poisoned. No jobs to be found, unless your business is extracting money from the poor.
4. Evidence that humanity has been lied to about its own history and reason for existence -- and never likely to ever find the truth. Whether by intent, or by sheer lack of information.
5. Vast majority of humanity living in abject poverty -- also not likely to ever change.
6. Legal system that more or less exists to protect those who have most of the power and wealth.
7. Those with the intelligence to acknowledge these problems typically lack the will or support to do anything to change them. Everyone else is either too dumb or ideologically unwilling to see how awful the current state of affairs truly are.
8. The Kardashians.

So yeah, I get it, I'm whining. But what are you going to do about these problems? Are you going to quit your job and do something? Probably not. Even if you did, what are you going to do that is going to make any difference? I'd really like to know.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If I had a job to quit, and could afford it, I would.

I fight back any and every way I can, that is all anyone can do.

And your OP is right, life sucks, and then you die.

Find a way to enjoy your time here or find a way to get out early, it makes no real difference, we'll all be dead together soon if this whole apocalypse thing comes to pass, and if not then we'll all slowly die agonizing, radiated deaths.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniqueUsername23456
So yeah, I get it, I'm whining. But what are you going to do about these problems? Are you going to quit your job and do something? Probably not. Even if you did, what are you going to do that is going to make any difference? I'd really like to know.

Your post just made a difference in my life, so it's not all hopeless.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Find Jesus and experience the joy He gives

2nd...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well yeah, you're right, but...It really COULD be worse. You can go have my chemo treatments and tests and stuff for me. Do the best that you can, try to find some semblence of balance and live your life. Hugs!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is why I'm an alcoholic.

Edit: More so for #8
edit on 19-8-2011 by SlapTheGinkels because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It does suck, and more than anything, the actual waiting is killing me. When you think about it, a third of your life (assuming you live a long life) is spent sleeping. I'd say another sizeable portion is just waiting for events to happen.

Especially when you get people left and right saying "aug 18 something big happening" and "watch out for oct 28/11!". I like to give people a chance, nomatter who they are, but it's dissapointing often.

Another big things is waiting for the bad things to change. I feel like today we are no closer, if not farther, to solving problems like pollution, better energy sources for the future, global famine and ecological destruction, instead there are more cars, more people and more coal plants then ever. But we can dream...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
We can indeed dream. We can also take action and join organizations that are helping to change things. Be a warrior of hope, a part of something good. Wasn't it Samwise who said that there are some things that are worth fighting for?

link   
For what it's worth, here's what I'm doing:

Yes, I did quit the job where I was expected to work like a slave and making barely above minimum wage. I now work part time at a Goodwill resale store.

I've taken advantage of student funding to enroll in classes at a local college pursuing a degree in business administration.

I'm on mailing lists for several political action groups and contact my Representative and/or Senators about concerns these groups bring to my attention.

I'm an ordained minister, but have developed a personal spiritual philosophy. I don't actively minister, but try to teach by example.

I keep myself as well informed as possible about current events.

I can't offer monetary support to Ron Paul, but I do often talk about him and his principles to people.

So.. that's what I'm doing. Not much in the overall view, but it's the best I can offer at this time.

edit on 19-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

link   
Enjoy life while you can , you only get one , believe me , I know, I work at a funeral home ,I see death everyday. I appreciate every single moment of life.....Life is but a puff of smoke in the eyes of God.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Life is awesome, you just have to look a bit deeper and all around. Seriously, APPRECIATE IT, what else are you gonna do? and no, thats not an answer...

This thread is depressing! Get outside, its never that bad

Optimism is the only way you will stay sane

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiritron9000

I love sleeping

You talk about the big things but there are big things all around us, even the smallest detail is a crazy crazy big thing, right there, in your garden, cheeseburger, antelope, crazy awesome business everywhere

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fatmandy

It's not that i'm not happy, in fact I can endure just about anything, almost nothing makes me sad. The fact is, that it doesn't change (not without force, usually in the form of violent protest, which causes it's own problems).

Wish I could pull a John Galt and just go live in some hidden private country, lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UniqueUsername23456

Life is depressing if all you are looking for are the goodies of this world. Find your purpose in life and fulfill that. Everyday do something nice for others, it's free. Make all of your interactions with others pleasant as much as you can, it changes the world around you.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
There is only one way to get yourself back up and feeling like there is hope and that is to give hope to someone else. Help someone in any way you can. Making the world a better place starts with me and you. The circumstances of the world will take care of themselves. We have to take care of each other. Isn't it amazing that when things get really bad, we come together to weather the storms. Remember, sometimes we need the storm. Think about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is why I'm in the melancholic slump to begin with..........
Oh damn, it doesn't get any better.
Either I was already depressed or it isn't getting any better.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UniqueUsername23456

to live is to suffer. have a great weekend, sunshine.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Your insight is perfect for a materialistic point of view.
There ae other ways at looking at life, however.
The Buddha said that life is suffering. (The short explanation is because we all know we will die.)
But Buddha taught enlightenment which remains a mystery to most Westerners.
Or study the works of Frankel. He, a Jew, found peace of mind in a Nazi concentration camp.

Life really isn't about things and events. It is about your approach to it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
All I got is: "oh yeah, life goes on... Long after the thrill of livin' is gone" [Jack & Diane - Mellencamp]

Oh, and revise #8 to include all "celebrities".

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The only thing to do is stay busy. There is never any sense in letting the rapid decay of our once immaculate world corrode the beauty of life. Enjoy it while you can.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join