It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Charge Admission

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Originally posted by Indigo5
That is a FUNDRAISER. The difference is that these Republicans ARE NOT HOLDING TOWN HALLS...Just pay events portrayed as town halls.

edit on 19-8-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Well then where do the funds raised by these admission charges go to? In the Congressman's pocket? Are these events being miscategorized as 'faux town hall meetings' when they are simply fundraisers?

You seem confused.

Let's take Paul Ryan as an example.

Every Congressional recess he has returned to his district to speak and take questions at open, public, town-hall meetings. Everytime, without exception.

This time he returned home to Wisconsin and appeared at a Luncheon at the Rotary where the tickets were limited to 300 people and cost $15 dollars, no walk-ins allowed, guests must be pre-registered in advance and no guarantee that you will be issued a ticket to the event.

No actual Town-Hall, but plenty of face time with a pre-screened audience that paid to see him.

The combination of the price tag and pre-screening, supported by the private nature of the event that allows them to quickly evict anyone that asks an unfriendly question makes for the perfect "Faux Town Hall" photo-op.

In the context of him holding ZERO town halls this recess...something he has never done before...it is without a doubt a cynical manuever to still get press of him answering questions in a Town Hall format while not actually meeting the FREE public at all.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
You have to represent you're voters. If you don't, they'll vote in a different representative when they get the chance. You can't just hide and imagine that you'll maintain a connection with the voters.

I'm sure they know this though. Makes me think the article might be playing up the issue worse than it is.

Nope. The article is just the begining..

Unemployed Constituents Stage Sit-in At Paul Ryan's Office
www.dailykos.com...

Paul Ryan nixes public town halls, but for $15 you can ask him a question
www.dailykos.com...$15-you-can-ask-him-a-question

The Emergence of the $15 Town Hall Meeting
news.firedoglake.com...

Yes...Yes...technically it is a $15 dollar "town hall looking event"...but absent him having ANY actual town Hall Meetings this recess, you get the message.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

With the exception of Boehner all of these events that charged admission were portrayed as "Town Halls" despite being sponsored events AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION all of those mentioned held NO OPEN, FREE, MEET THE PEOPLE TOWN HALLS.

The OP also makes it seem like these Rep's are nt holding any Town Hall events, clearly not true as we can see that Mr. Chabot is holding one 3 days from now.

link

I am sure if I check the schedules of the other named officials I will find similar events.

WTF??? Chabot is not mentioned anywhere in my OP?????

Check the schedules on the folks I listed...Nice try though...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

If we go back during the entire obamacare debate, the democratic congressmen were either rude to the very people who they are suppose to be representing or SEIU showed up and were bullying, if not getting physical against all those who would dare to speak out against the bill.

The point being, that right now, the republicans are starting their election movements, and thus are building up and raising money to back who they would see president and different congressment as well. Election preparations are coming early this year.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You are right, my mistake, I got his name from part of the article on huffpost.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
reply to post by Indigo5

If we go back during the entire obamacare debate, the democratic congressmen were either rude to the very people who they are suppose to be representing or SEIU showed up and were bullying, if not getting physical against all those who would dare to speak out against the bill.

The point being, that right now, the republicans are starting their election movements, and thus are building up and raising money to back who they would see president and different congressment as well. Election preparations are coming early this year.

Nope. Doesn't cut it. Like him or hate him, Pres. Obama who is also running for office by the way, just got done with a slew of FREE OPEN TOWN HALL MEETINGS, some of which conservatives asked him some difficult questions and he answered them and let them speak...FOR FREE...the GOP can manage to meet with their actual constituents.

Cowardice and Corruption.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

You are right, my mistake, I got his name from part of the article on huffpost.

No worries. Make mistakes often myself...cool that you owned it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
As I formerly made a mistake and checked the wrong schedule, let's talk about one Rep that was named.

Rep. Chip Cravaack

Appeared one week ago at Deer River HS in a free town hall event.

.News » Local News Share Email this articlePrint this articleRep. Chip Cravaack Hosts Town Hall MeetingBy KBJR News 1

Rep. Chip Cravaack Hosts Town Hall Meeting
August 9, 2011

Updated Aug 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM CDT

Deer River, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) - U.S. Congressman Chip Cravaack is having a town hall meeting in Deer River Tuesday night in the wake of the debt ceiling debate and a downgrade in the U-S credit rating.e

The District Eight Representative will hold the meeting at Deer River High School starting at 7 p.m.

source

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
[color=#FF0000]Beware of Democrats and Republicans!! They are all PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS. Millionaires and lawyers looking out for themselves and their kin while screwing the average American. Americans can never be free until they rid themselves of CRIMINAL GANGSTERS who have to band together in bands called parties which are no better than MS13, The Latin Kings, or any other number of illegal criminal enterprises that prey on the weak and unwary.

Americans need to elect CITIZEN STATESMEN who are not beholding to criminal gangsters who give them backing and financing.
[color=#FFFFFF]
CITIZEN STATESMEN who are not PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS and who love America more than they love power and money.

CITIZEN STATESMEN who will represent us instead of Lobbyists for corporations who ply them with under the table cash and benefits.

CITIZEN STATESMEN who will represent us instead of RULING OVER US.

[color=#3333FF]Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin. It is a dirty, soiled currency backed by graft and greed that will no longer purchase honest representation for the American voter and taxpayer.

The true patriot is not the man who defends a corrupt government. The true patriot is the man who defends the Constitution from that corrupt government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join