It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Charge Admission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
So let's say you want to avoid all of those angry constituents, all of those unemployed Americans that might have a harsh word for you when you return home on "recess" to meet with the people...

What can you do to weed out those who are suffering the most from the economic crisis that might have strong opinions about the recent actions of Congress? While still being able to claim that you "met with your constituents"?

CHARGE ADMISSION!

Some Republicans sought to lower the temperature by holding virtual town halls or only appearing at forums where attendees had to pay to attend.

Rep. Chip Cravaack (Minn.) spoke at an event this week for which a business trade group set an admission price of $10.

Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.) went to an event hosted by a local Rotary Club that cost attendees $15.

Reps. Lou Barletta (Penn.) appeared at a $30-per-plate "CEO-to-CEO" event last week, and

Rep. Renee Ellmers (N.C.) appeared at an event that cost $13.

The event Rep. Ben Quayle (Ariz.) showed up to cost $35 a . for a Q&A session and catered lunch.

This tactic may have helped some Republicans avoid protesters, but others weren't so lucky.

House Speaker John Boehner and Minnesota Rep. Erik Paulsen held a $10,000-a-person golf outing. (Lunch but no golf with both congressmen and Rep. Cravaack cost $1,000 a ..)
Nearly 200 protesters showed up outside with signs accusing Republicans of protecting corporations over people, and a plane flew over. with a banner that read, "Where's our piece of the pie? Jobs now."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Now technically these are not "Town Hall" events, but that is the point....these Republicans ARE NOT HOLDING ANY TOWN HALL EVENTS, ONLY PAY TO GET IN EVENTS.

The House Budget Committee chairman isn’t holding any face-to-face open-to-the-public town hall meetings during the recess, but like several of his colleagues he will speak only for residents willing to open their wallets.

Ryan, who took substantial criticism from his southeast Wisconsin constituents in April after he introduced the Republicans’ budget proposal, isn’t the only member of congress whose August recess town hall-style meetings are strictly pay-per-view.

Rep. Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.) is scheduled to appear Aug. 23 at a luncheon gathering of the Arizona Republican Lawyers Association. For $35, attendees can question Quayle and enjoy a catered lunch at the Phoenix office of the Snell & Wilmer law firm.

And Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-Minn.) took heat in Duluth this weekend for holding private events in his district’s population and media center —including a $10-per-. meeting to be hosted next week by the local chapter of the National Federation of Independent Businesses, which on its invitation notes that the organization “supported Chip in his stunning upset over longtime Congressman Jim Oberstar in the 2010 election.” Read the rest of this article

dccc.org...

My personal opinion? MAN UP. If you believe what you did in Congress was the right thing, meet with the people and own your decisions.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

This video sums it up perfectly

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So what your saying is................................

What?

Politicians shouldn't act like politicians? If I really, really, really, really wanted to scream my . off at a Congresscritter (not that he'd listen) I'd pay $35 for the lunch and speech, then scream my . off. Or $13, or whatever. Perhaps not the $10K golf outing, afterall, they wouldn't listen anyways.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

As the video shows above, when the event is sponsored by a business, free speech is not protected. It is Private space and people can be denied admission and kicked out for asking the wrong question.

Blacklisting and censorship - what happened to being accountable to the PEOPLE.

Cowardice and corruption.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Looks like another case of incredibly selection outrage.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

President Obama tried his hand at being schmoozer-in-chief in New York on Thursday, attending a fundraiser in his honor at the home of studio exec Harvey Weinstein.

Weinstein and wife, Georgina Chapman, welcomed celebs including Gwyneth Paltrow and hubby Chris Martin, Vogue Editor Anna Wintour, Alicia Keys, Jimmy Fallon, Pharrell Williams and cosmetics heiress Aerin Lauder.

The fete cost $35,800 per guest, with 50 guests reportedly seated at a total of 10 tables. The West Village townhouse was heavy on glamour, with some humor sprinkled between courses. "This is a pretty good-looking crowd," Obama said, knowing exactly which string to pull in a room full of entertainers.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

This IS Congress we are talking about...

Cowards, Liars, Thieves and Whores.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
So what your saying is................................

What?

Politicians shouldn't act like politicians? If I really, really, really, really wanted to scream my . off at a Congresscritter (not that he'd listen) I'd pay $35 for the lunch and speech, then scream my . off. Or $13, or whatever. Perhaps not the $10K golf outing, afterall, they wouldn't listen anyways.

I am saying that someone that is unemployed and struggling to feed their family can not afford to pay to ask their Congressman a question.

I am also saying that when the event is sponsored by a business, it technically becomes a PRIVATE event where free speech is not required to be tolerated...they will drag your butt out if they don't like your question and blacklist you for all future events.

THAT is the antithesis to DEMOCRACY.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
I am also saying that when the event is sponsored by a business, it technically becomes a PRIVATE event where free speech is not required to be tolerated...they will drag your butt out if they don't like your question and blacklist you for all future events.

As is this event upcoming one week from tonight, only this one is hosted by Democrats, this goes both ways...

A reserved table for eight is $400 and includes listing in the program; a patron's table for 10 is $500 and includes program listing and recognition at the event. A $1,000 corporate sponsorship delivers a table for eight, a full-page display in the program, and event recognition.

source

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
You can shout and scream all you want. Make a scene, etc. It doesn't matter. This isn't the 1800's anymore. You will be ignored unless you pay money. Politics 101. It's not just the Republicans - it's the system.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus
Looks like another case of incredibly selection outrage.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

President Obama tried his hand at being schmoozer-in-chief in New York on Thursday, attending a fundraiser in his honor at the home of studio exec Harvey Weinstein.

Weinstein and wife, Georgina Chapman, welcomed celebs including Gwyneth Paltrow and hubby Chris Martin, Vogue Editor Anna Wintour, Alicia Keys, Jimmy Fallon, Pharrell Williams and cosmetics heiress Aerin Lauder.

Pay attention. Read the OP.

My issue is not that they have a "fundraiser", but rather that they hold these events IN PLACE OF TOWN HALL MEETINGS.

Seeing as President Obama just did something like 6 town hall meetings this past week - no admission fee required, it is not a relevant comparison by any stretch of logic.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
As compared to the Democrats that use Union, namely SEIU thugs to silence anyone who dare disagrees with them, even to the point of violence?

This is not surprising, as the elections are coming, and they can not directly ask for donations from a population that is without jobs, so they are having to do this the old fashion way, hold pay to meet and speak to events. You pays your money and then get in to talk and ask the congressmen your questions.

At least most of them are hold events that anyone can get in, as it is normally far beyond the range of the middle class, let alone the poor.

Lets see how much the Democrats charge and then see who is trying to meet the public and who is not.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

As is this event upcoming one week from tonight, only this one is hosted by Democrats, this goes both ways...

A reserved table for eight is $400 and includes listing in the program; a patron's table for 10 is $500 and includes program listing and recognition at the event. A $1,000 corporate sponsorship delivers a table for eight, a full-page display in the program, and event recognition.

source

That is a FUNDRAISER. The difference is that these Republicans ARE NOT HOLDING TOWN HALLS...Just pay events portrayed as town halls.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
When you read the OP, at the very bottom of the page it staes the following:

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Republican congressmen charged their constituents admission fees for town hall events. Many Republican congressmen spoke at events held by outside institutions where there was an admissions fee.

This article also incorrectly stated that Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-Minn.) appeared at a $10,000-a-person golf outing with House Speaker John Boehner and fellow Minnesota Rep. Erik Paulsen. Cravaack does not play golf, according to his office, but he did show up to the luncheon after the game.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

As the video shows above, when the event is sponsored by a business, free speech is not protected. It is Private space and people can be denied admission and kicked out for asking the wrong question.

Blacklisting and censorship - what happened to being accountable to the PEOPLE.

No matter who puts up a building, and no matter who says they own it, this is my land, America, has been long before any of this sad country's history even began, and my freedom of speech follows me ANYWHERE I go. Damned if I care what these corrupt laws tell me.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Lets see how much the Democrats charge and then see who is trying to meet the public and who is not.

Find me a single Democratic Congressman who has chosen to not have a town hall during this august recess while at the same time charging admission for Town-Hall-Looking events.

This is nothing more than a way to avoid those who can not afford to pay to ask a question...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
When you read the OP, at the very bottom of the page it staes the following:

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Republican congressmen charged their constituents admission fees for town hall events. Many Republican congressmen spoke at events held by outside institutions where there was an admissions fee.

Which is why I very clearly stated in my OP

"Now technically these are not "Town Hall" events, but that is the point....these Republicans ARE NOT HOLDING ANY TOWN HALL EVENTS, ONLY PAY TO GET IN EVENTS."

With the exception of Boehner all of these evvents that charged admission were portrayed as "Town Halls" despite being sponsored events AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION all of those mentioned held NO OPEN, FREE, MEET THE PEOPLE TOWN HALLS.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

That is a FUNDRAISER. The difference is that these Republicans ARE NOT HOLDING TOWN HALLS...Just pay events portrayed as town halls.

Well then where do the funds raised by these admission charges go to? In the Congressman's pocket? Are these events being miscategorized as 'faux town hall meetings' when they are simply fundraisers?

When an event is hosted by the Rotary Club and they charge $15 a ., does that money go tward raising funds for the Rotary? And is this simply a Rep appearing at an event that he/she was invited by their consituents? I think this story is trying to manufacture something that just isnt there.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thats real nice little scam actually. Our tax dollars are paying these bums salary and on top of it they expect us to pay them to speak to them. There should be laws against this.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

With the exception of Boehner all of these evvents that charged admission were portrayed as "Town Halls" despite being sponsored events AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION all of those mentioned held NO OPEN, FREE, MEET THE PEOPLE TOWN HALLS.

The OP also makes it seem like these Rep's are nt holding any Town Hall events, clearly not true as we can see that Mr. Chabot is holding one 3 days from now.

link

8/22/2011 - 8/22/2011

Town Hall Meeting with Rep. Steve Chabot

112 South Miami Avenue
Cleves, Ohio
www.lesiccamper.com

Rep. Steve Chabot will meet with seniors and other constituents to discuss Medicare and Social Security.

I am sure if I check the schedules of the other named officials I will find similar events.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
You have to represent you're voters. If you don't, they'll vote in a different representative when they get the chance. You can't just hide and imagine that you'll maintain a connection with the voters.

I'm sure they know this though. Makes me think the article might be playing up the issue worse than it is. Private meetings in themselves, aren't the main issue. It's if they loose the recognition of listening and adapting to the people, then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

~
I'm sure there's work arounds though. Like televising the event afterwards, and act like all the 'easy' questions asked were the voice of the people being heard.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join