It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 things you probably didn’t know could be hacked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hey everyone,
Came across and wanted to share this website with you guys so you would have a heads up....

Hackers are making headlines these days like never before. From video game systems to voicemail accounts, it seems like almost every type of electronic device or information storage medium can be hacked to either give up information or perform actions it wasn't initially designed to do. We've gathered a handful of the weirdest hacks out there, and the vulnerability of some of your everyday devices might surprise you.

Pacemakers are surprisingly vulnerable
1. Medical implants
High-tech medical devices like pacemakers and insulin pumps can save lives, but hackers can actually utilize their built-in wireless features for less helpful purposes. Researchers have demonstrated that certain pacemakers that use a wireless signal for easy tweaking are vulnerable to anyone with the correct reprogramming hardware. Doctors use these wireless programming devices to make subtle adjustments to the heart helpers without the need for further surgeries. Unfortunately, the signal they use is unencrypted, meaning that anyone who finds a way to obtain such a device could literally manipulate the heart of a patient, causing cardiac arrest, or even death.

Please see full article " 5 things you probably didn’t know could be hacked" here:
.news.yahoo.com...

Now notice Number 5 . This really jumped out at me, 4.9 million for research given to DARPA to back engineer the human brain.:

5.The human brain
Of all the storage mediums you use to keep information that is most important to you, your brain is by far the most complex. Because of the immense amount of data that the human brain can hold, scientists have been attempting to crack our internal hard drives for quite some time. The scary part? They're actually getting close.

By building complex models of other brains in the animal kingdom — such as those of mice, cats, and primates — and then moving on to humans, researchers have begun to translate the trillions of impulses that go on in our heads into readable data. In fact, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is funding a $4.9 million program to reverse-engineer the human brain in an effort to mine its computational abilities.

Some scientists, including Ray Kurzweil of Kurzweil Technologies, see a future where microscopic robots will be injected into a person's blood stream, head straight for the brain, and monitor activity. Of course, with the vulnerabilities of other medical implants already well documented, we'd hate to know the consequences of someone taking control of our brain's bots.

The future of mind hacking is very real folks.

It may come to the point where we need a firewall or something? Think about it.

I believe it is just a matter of time..
How about you?

Thoughts/Comments ?
edit on 19-8-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
just wanna share you this good anime Ghost in the Shell that describes what you mentioned above.

Ghose in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex
edit on 19-8-2011 by requireduser because: change the link so that it is visible

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There will actually be thought police, strange.

Sounds more and more like 1984 everyday.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Just electrocute your body to disable the monitoring devices and revive yourself back again (with help obviously) like Tom Cruise did in Mission Impossible 3.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Great stuff now they will be able to send you to jail for just thinking about posting "lets all start a riot in london" on facebook.
Bang Goes Freedom of Thought

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
It may come to the point where we need a firewall or something? Think about it.

Isn't this commonly known as a tin-foil hat?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

reverse-engineering a human brain sounds like a noble goal for researchers but i can't foresee their getting very far on a 4.9 million $ budget. cash flies out the window very quickly when you are writing paychecks for those kind of people (incredibly intelligent & well educated) and the equipment they would need. such a tiny budget makes me think this project is either not being taken very seriously or is lacking support by the truly powerful at high levels. there is probably a lot of competition for those deep pockets.

we read about scientists growing noses and ears on lab rats, things of this nature. the miracles contained in stem cells. it will be a major step when brains can be kept alive independent of the host body, and half-brains can be stimulated to grow the missing portion with function.

it's just a matter of time and funding.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I am sure that they can't and they just have this control freak syndrome.There would be but one way and I say still impossible and this would be to monitor all activity of one's brain and sync it to the person's thoughts where this person would need to think outloud all the activities that occure and how does it work when two thoughts simultaineously occure as we all do frequently more then we realise. For instance as an experament; try counting sheep and give thought to the next upcoming count and still not have thoughts. LOL Tou'll likely fall asleep and wake up not thinking or remember that instinces happennings;LOL.
edit on 20-8-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

For items such as this, the line item budget amount on official documents is no reflection of how much money is actually being spent on it.

In addition to black budget funding, it is very common to disaggregate projects and fund components separately to avoid public scrutiny. These efforts are often all over the government under dubious titles. I would be very surprised if there was not funded work for this effort burried into the Dept. of Education budget, the Health and Human Services budget, the FDA, CIA, NSA to name a few.

If the government thinks it has a 10% chance of figuring out a way to read minds, you better believe they are spending more than a couple of million on it.

This technology has the potential to absolutely ruin the World Poker Tour!

Kidding aside, this effort should be defunded. It serves no legitimate purpose and the potential for abuse is simply too large and the ramifications of that abuse horrifying

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Hi dolphinfan,
Imo, they have probably suppressed this technology for the past several years and are more capable than what's now being talked about..... That's just me though.

The funding of all of the black projects could very well have paved the way of perfection on this type tech years ago. And thIS funding is probably for another black project, w/this being the front.

It seems to me from past experiences, that most likely "they" want to keep us in the dark as always, their deeds hidden, but to keep us happy, they have to give us something! It seems, we're only given a little tid bit here and there which is not on the up and up..

Imho, there is no telling how far our advancements have come , in what CAN be done already with undetected perfection! Just look at the manchurian candidates. Think about it ..Also look at the new weapons we have, which I think can make people appear as though they have had a heart attack when it could possibly be murder! Talk about stealth. I feel there is more to it than meets the eye. Again, that's just me and my 2cents.

I agree with ya! ..This is bad news and should not be funded but I have this awful feeling that things are already too way out of hand and then some!

Appreciate the replies everyone.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Do you think they can really do that? I am quite afraid that it may really happen. I feel it would not do to let other's know my thoughts.

Maybe I should focus on thinking only good thoughts.
edit on 10-11-2011 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

reverse-engineering a human brain sounds like a noble goal for researchers but i can't foresee their getting very far on a 4.9 million $ budget. cash flies out the window very quickly when you are writing paychecks for those kind of people (incredibly intelligent & well educated) and the equipment they would need. such a tiny budget makes me think this project is either not being taken very seriously or is lacking support by the truly powerful at high levels. there is probably a lot of competition for those deep pockets.

we read about scientists growing noses and ears on lab rats, things of this nature. the miracles contained in stem cells. it will be a major step when brains can be kept alive independent of the host body, and half-brains can be stimulated to grow the missing portion with function.

it's just a matter of time and funding.

Honestly, I can't see any success on reverse engineering the brain using simple digital technology or any form of analog non-linear technology. First the brain is neuro-morphic meaning there are physical changes in many areas from the topology of neuron's, to larger-scale regions as part of general signal informatics. Recently we have found that glial cells, once thought to be unimportant in information processing, or useful for anything, to be major information-energy optimizers and have a lot to do with providing other info-optimization. This whole aspect is still very new to us. Why is this such a surprise? Biology wastes nothing. There is no distinction between hardware and software in the brain. Even now we are just beginning to connect digital controlled artificial limbs, and is usually by using muscle movement to control a limb. As long as it works, advances the field, terrific, and we are making progress here. A lot of this is funded by DARPA, they have a major issue with dealing with once fatal battlefield injuries. This is an example of technology that can be used to help anyone, not just the military.

As far as hacking the brain, tapping into structural process's, like basic autonomic functions and where we have signal disconnect, possible with cord damage or certain traumatic injury, may help those unable to control certain actions including prostectics by "reading" the subtle (low energy) yet complex electromagnetic "cloud, mist, or field" that is an artifact of bio-electrical actions in the brain. This allows direct control of a computer for example using EM signals isolated by region and profile. Because of the way the brain works, including it would seem in some ways at the quantum level, we can design simple control over a computer, to control a mouse or enter "keyboard commands". But much more then that and we don't even understand thought from the pre-emotive phase or what happens before were aware of it to "actionable events and effects". There may be a way to by-pass the immense complexity of bio-informatics let alone the more advanced aspects of "thinking".

One theory which I like is the brain organizes signals first with an identity-familiarity localized (neurons send signals first to neurons that have a morphic-structural similarity not just the closest neurons). We think activities like learning and even addiction involve the establishment/re-enforcement of this physical topological "landscape" of a cluster of neurons. Information is transferred from one cluster to another perhaps by encoded soliton-fractal. This would be incredibly efficient and result in almost no energy dissipation. Add to that a fractal encodes data-as-form, and has the same basic encoding independent on size, or signal strength. This would allow massive and multiple parallel information transfer across the brain with out direct electrical-chemical contact. And how does this relate to "brain hacking"?

In a positive sense we can design better brain-machine interface technology. On the downside the same "field reading" can tell you about about whats going on in your brain. And it can (in theory) be done remotely and without your noticing. But if it's a consolation, not much but "tapping" of the EM artifacts will also change the available energy in the brain hence that can (also in theory) be detected. But to "reverse-engineer" the brain it would be much simpler to design a "fabrication-prototype" where you create the environment and provide the bio-material, energy and template that tells the active organic raw materials to self-organize and assemble. In nature both energy/information (two sides of one coin) builds natural information system's along the most efficient and effective way. A long way to "reverse engineering" the brain but a good step in creating a basic bio-synthetic signal organizing system. I don't know how to create a plant from scratch, but w/a seed and right soil nature does.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

I think it's important to point out that as so many medical devices can be monitored on the net, insulin pumps and advanced heart monitoring implants or similar devices, the fact a MD can send control signals, change the dose of delivered insulin for example, this is a problem in that this technology can be "hacked". Not only does this type of data transfer and two-way communication need to be encrypted when using the net for anything like this, but you need authentication codes to identify the doctor or facility sending information/instructions to any device like this. As it goes security on the net for the most part, well sucks. Keeping medical data private has been a major problem for some institutions, and thats bad enough. It need not be.

Layered security protocols to access data and additional layered authentication is mandatory for medical devices net-connected. Part of that can and should be a control component (commonly called firewall) that would prevent the sending or acceptance of instructions that have a known lethal outcome. We have similar controls in many pharmacies to compare medications for interaction, as well as approve of a dose that alone can be lethal. This is a no brainer.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Thank you for enlightening us with your post. It is much appreciated. This stuff is (of course) waaAY over my head but I still find it very intriguing.

I have a friend with ALS... This technology could certainly help!

Appreciate ya very much--
You seem sO very educated on the subject! Thanks once again.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Thank you for enlightening us with your post. It is much appreciated. This stuff is (of course) waaAY over my head but I still find it very intriguing.

I have a friend with ALS... This technology could certainly help!

Appreciate ya very much--
You seem sO very educated on the subject! Thanks once again.

That was very kind to say. As for "enlightening" anyone I have to quote an old professor of mine after I gave a very "wordy, but elegant" speech. He said "Bob, that sounded great, but I admire results". I was diagnosed with an odd and "creeping form" of ALS several years ago. I may live for many more years and be reasonably active, at least be able to move however awkwardly, and with some pain. But I CAN move, and intend to as long as possible. But this stuff was interesting to me long before I found out I had this. But hopefully for those with greater physical impairment it will be useful, in time. It just takes so long for ideas to be turned into technology/drugs, etc. The whole area of paralysis seems a logical place to work in although my work in this specifically is indirect. It stems from interest in biological electronics, sensors, and self healing materials.

Perhaps it will do some good. I have no doubt in time, a lot of this work will. In time.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

. Arb, thank you once again ..I can sense your kind spirit in your writing...
Bless your dear heart...I am so sorry you have been given this diagnosis. Hey, if it is any consolation, my friend has been Dx'd with ALS for almost 30 years. For YEARS , she was able to go about her normal ADL's. And as you said this technology takes time. Always keep in mind, there is always hope!

If you use aNY artificial sweeteners, please get off of them. Sometimes folk have had misdiagnosis of ALS, MS etc. and it's those dang sweeteners! So, I pray you have a wrong dx . Am sure with you being on ATS and all, that you have heard of this already...but if not please look into this. They all are supposed to be bad for you.

On topic: I can understand your fascination with this subject! You are right about that security /protocal too. Dr's bETTER be protecting their patients!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
One thing most people on the Internet don't know is that your Internet provider can be hacked.

I had this happen where I live. they got into the local cable Internet service and were causing problems that made it look like peoples computers had been infected with a virus.

But when checked no virus was found on the computers. and a number of people went through changing there anti virus programs just because they thought the programs were missing the virus.

The local Internet provider still denies they were hacked.

This cable provider serves a city just outside a major US Navy research base.
And was confirmed by a local IT computer guy who traced the hacking to China.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thanks for the reply Anned. Yeah, some folks may not be aware of that. Not all ISP's are that secure. One must stay on top of their game.

And yeah, getting the denials is typical as noone would want to risk losing their customers. They are invincible !lol

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

. Arb, thank you once again ..I can sense your kind spirit in your writing...
Bless your dear heart...I am so sorry you have been given this diagnosis. Hey, if it is any consolation, my friend has been Dx'd with ALS for almost 30 years. For YEARS , she was able to go about her normal ADL's. And as you said this technology takes time. Always keep in mind, there is always hope!

If you use aNY artificial sweeteners, please get off of them. Sometimes folk have had misdiagnosis of ALS, MS etc. and it's those dang sweeteners! So, I pray you have a wrong dx . Am sure with you being on ATS and all, that you have heard of this already...but if not please look into this. They all are supposed to be bad for you.

On topic: I can understand your fascination with this subject! You are right about that security /protocal too. Dr's bETTER be protecting their patients!

Thanks for your comments. Your 100% right on the artificial sweeteners, all though the old saccharin was pretty benign (unless you were a rat who got 100,000x the dosage by body weight that would correlate to a person. Hell, at that dose almost ANYTHING is going to kill you!) But as a general rule the newer artificial sweeteners are a problem. I haven't had a weight problem since I was 12, hence never use them, and my diet is actually somewhat high in non-animal fats, and I have long avoided trans fats. I did that before it was trendy having seen what t-fats do in a test tube, like blood glue. Nasty. I also have a cholesterol level most would kill for, and have also noted in the literature that a diet somewhat higher in fats reduces some episodes of seizure's. As I have a previous history of same post car accident, it made sense to try. I don't recommend anyone treat themselves for seizure's just by the foods they eat, but they can discuss it with their MD. I have no doubt Aspartame has some neurological effect on some, when I have taken it, by accident and not reading the food label, it acts like a sleeping pill! Not a good sign, and it points to having some effect on the brain. Nothing yet in the literature on that but I know how it affects "me".

As for the time I have with the diagnosis, I do seem to have a "slow variant" and that alone was confusing trying to diagnose. "Yeah, looks like ALS here, but not here"... That kind of thing thats why I call it a "creeping version", slow and an odd variant. But the ALS, or as I labeled it ALS/vB (als variant bob) is more a challenge. Not an "enemy" A disease has no ego, or vendetta. It just is, and you deal with it best you can.
edit on 11/11/11 by arbiture because: add-on comment, also correct spelling fart...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
People can take their cordless telephone handset and throw it in the car. Drive away and just keep trying to use it until you get a dial tone. You just picked up somebody else's line and they don't even know it.

Somebody's been doing this across America and dialing 9-1-1. Cops going to peoples houses asking them why they called 9-1-1....and they are clueless on what the heck is happening.

Imagine if hackers figured out how to get into your computer and use your wireless to pick up your cordless telephone...it's all 2.4ghz.....they might be able to do that as well.

Any computers wireless can be used as radar to even detect if you entered the room where your computer is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join