page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Workers baked alive in bread factory horror

www.dailymail.co.uk

Two bakery workers died in agony after bosses sent them into a giant oven to carry out repairs on the cheap, a court heard yesterday.

The machine should have been allowed to cool for 12 hours, but was only left for two.

David Mayes and Ian Erickson were unaware of the full danger as they crawled into the oven because fans had cooled its outer reaches to 40c. Its core, however, was still at 100c.

The repair was a delicate procedure in which they had to collect broken parts from along the length of a conveyor belt which carries bread trays slowly through the 75ft-long oven
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
you can read the article in the link...

Seems the actual tragedy happened way back in May...of 1998
But its took this long for the court system to get to a hearing...
That in its self is messed up...

But... The real issue here, and it makes me mad is the fact the company cut corners to save a few dollars...

The company would have lost £1,120 for every hour the oven was shut down

On the day of the tragedy in May 1998, Mr Erickson, of Walsall, admitted he wanted to get the job done quickly so he could go home and watch the FA Cup Final with his two sons.

Mr Mayes, of Rushey Mead, Leicestershire, had told friends the night before: 'I have a challenge in the morning. I am going for it - the money is good.'

So they found these two who were willing to do the job fast...
But the men did not know it was a death trap!
The company allowed these men to crawl into a HOT oven...

My heart goes out to the men and their families.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/19/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That is terrible. The article said there were gauges, so why couldn't they tell that the oven was too hot to enter? Did the managers tell them to go in anyway? If so, why did they, knowing how hot it was. This leads me to think that they didn't know the actual temperature inside the oven.

I was wondering why they didn't crawl back out when they felt it starting to get hot, but the worst part of the story tells why: a conveyor belt, which could not be reversed, carried them further into the oven, making it impossible for them to crawl back out. This sounds like a huge oven as well. The company didn't want to take the side panels off, so they sent these guys in, without allowing the other 10 hours the oven needed for cooling. Unbelievable.

XL5

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
To think they could have used a large fan to cool the oven, still do it safely AND save money. Ignoring imperfect communisim, I wonder what the world would be like if money wasn't the issue.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is one that need all the flags we can give. Most of us are trying to "run an extra mile" in order to keep our jobs now and bosses know that and abuse.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This is a horror story.. Those poor men and there families all just to save a few dollars and it took them since May of 1998 to get to a hearing thats a crime also.. stuff like this just makes me sick ..Thanks for posting this S&F

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

it seems the gauges read the temperature from the outermost parts of the oven, so it seemed cool, but the center was still 100C.

that would be a bad way to go, and i'm pretty pissed its only now being heard in the court. the families of the men should sue the pants off of the company. i mean really? a few thousand an hour is all they would have lost, yet they still did it the risky way?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
*Safety doesn't happen by accident. ~Author Unknown

*Better a thousand times careful than once dead. ~Proverb

*Is better to lose one minute in life... than to lose life in a minute. ~Author Unknown

Check out more here

To bad that company didn't get that link

The ones responsible should face prison time

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I really wish I could say something profound about this, but it's so tragic and pointless that I am having trouble. I hope justice is done, but it seems the world is fresh out of that stuff, so I won't hold my breath. Good find OP!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I must be missing something.

The BBC reports the company & directors were hauled in front of the courts ten years ago for this incident.

John Bridson, 54, of Hale, the managing director of Fresha Limited, the company which owns the bakery, admitted two charges of failing to provide a safe system of work. The production director, Brian Jones, 60, of Hertford, Cheshire, pleaded guilty to a single count of the same offence. The chief engineer, Dennis Masters, 45, of Mountsorrel, admitted one charge of failing to take reasonable care for others at work. Fresha Bakeries were fined a total of £250,000 and ordered to pay costs of £175,000. The firm's owners, Harvestime Ltd, of Walsall, West Midlands, was fined a total of £100,000 and made to pay costs of £75,000. Mr Bridson was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,000. Mr Jones was fined £1,000 and Mr Masters £2,000 because of their financial means.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This scenario and others were all too common when this incident occured.

I can tell you from personal experience that today safe work practices are in place to the extreme. Organizations such as the British Retail Consortium and others, all part of the global food safety initiative, bird dog every aspect of food safety. But it is a double edged blade.

The cost of safety training and supplies is astronomical, 500 bucks for a thirty minute video. These mandates kill small business. But corporations are the target of these safety companies and they can afford it.

Alas all of the training and precaution in the universe cannot save as many lives as can people taking a moment to evaluate the danger and if it is too great, don't do it. You can't provide if you are dead.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Im not sure what the labor laws are over there but in Ontario Canada we have the right to refuse any work by our employer if we feel it endangers us, and the labor board will back us up in case of a reprisal from the employer. i wonder if they would of been fired if they refused to do the work, and I wonder how much education they had on how the machine works and how the repair process goes. this company has alot of explaining to do, and unfortunately it will never bring back those two men to their families.
edit on 19-8-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
wow thats really disgusting.

i wonder how much they spent on 14 years of legal fees, probably many times more than 11200 pounds.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
wow thats really disgusting.

i wonder how much they spent on 14 years of legal fees, probably many times more than 11200 pounds.

They didn't have 14 yrs worth of legal fees.

This Daily Mail story is over ten years old. Quite why it has such prominence on their website is a mystery.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What a tragic story, may they rest in peace...

What ridiculous fines/sentences those people got, hardly justice is it. It seems bizarre that these peoples actions clearly contributed to the death of these workers and they get off with a fine and yet we have a looter getting jailed for stealing a crate of water.

Absolute Lunacy i tells ya!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I learned about this a while back, when I was doing a safety passport course we got told all the gory details on what happened.
The deal was the conveyer belt took them 'into' the heart of the oven to work on it and once the conveyer was started it was a one-way operation. No reverse just stop and go.
In they went. One of the workers died first while the second managed to get out of the oven (by accessing the internal ladder) but died later in hospital from his burns.
Damned awful thing to happen and a tragedy.
edit on 19-8-2011 by WatchRider because: addition

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thats very sad...
Its okay and interesting to watch this stuff in the movies but never cool to hear about it in real life.
Hopefully they will change up their safety procedures.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Does anyone think that these people would have went into that oven knowing they would die? Who would do this, but people who needed money and a job to support their family. I hope the family of the victims gets enough cash to live a life where they never need to work for another individual to put food on the table. This is an example of why corporations need to be regulated and there should be no limit on any type of damage received in a lawsuit. Otherwise the corporation will simply pass off their damages to the consumer and everyone loses.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

the could not crawl back out the belt was taking them through..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join