It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Purely Speculative Theory On Consciousness.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Don't answer that.

But if you became unconscious and you weren't conscious to know it, did you really become unconscious?

So is death real if you're not around to be aware of it?

So what if consciousness wasn't dualistic because we can't be aware of unconsciousness?

Then consciousness would be the only action in the universe that didn't have an equal and opposite reaction. If that were the case, then consciousness would be what allows for movement. By this anomaly that is consciousness, this one thing that is different from the rest of the universe, the rest of the universe would have something to move torward. Something that is not offset by a duality. Something that is infinite. Like light for plants except it is light for intelligence. Things would move torward consciousness because consciousness would be the only avenue that could allow for the movement. Am I making sense here? This is just a thought that popped into my head and I thought I'd share it, I'm probably way off. lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Short answer:
Yes!

There are life forms with no brain.
Like the Starfish

Single cell organisms, and the Starfish.
And other autonomous creatures, like Ants, etc.
Won't know they are dying.

So..
Yes.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

You are making sense to me.

Although...when we "die" we will be like, "dang....man.....am I dead". We will always be "aware" just more aware. Our awareness is limited as humans.
Just....my opinion of course.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

To me, this makes incredible sense. We all live our lives in response to how we perceive people, places, things and actions in it. If our perception happens to be incorrect, we would never know, thus leaving us and life to speculation.

If my mind creates the image that I am alive, than I will continue to stem from that thought. Who is to say we aren't all part of the same collective thing? Are you real? Are you alive? The brain is a powerful thing.

Anywho, very interesting. S&F. I apologize for my mini-rant that makes absolutely no sense...err...it does to me, so that makes it a reality for myself, right? Ok, I'm done.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I love this topic! I drive my friends crazy with talk of this nature. I'm fascinated by our consciousness, that you and I have, but who knows if it is even experienced the same way by individuals. What appears real to me might look and feel and smell and taste completely different, depending on your specific observations.
Consciousness derives from the universe, and very well could be infinite. We know for a fact that the quantum world acts in strange and mysterious ways that are not explained by newtonian physics. Newtons three simple, yet brilliant, laws of physics which rule our natural world do not apply when dealing with the likes of consciousness and the soul. Which leads to questions like;
What is reality?
The old school scientific community who would discount the existence of God because of their cut and dry Laws of Physics have had to begin to completely rewrite "how things work" from the beginning. This time around there are not such easy "bump-you-on-the-head"answers.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Are you sure we can't be aware of unconsciousness? I think It's possible, in the knocked out sense of the word

I suppose it depends on wether consciousness ceases apon death, then again what can you remember from before you were born?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just had an epiphany while reading your post....what if...with consciousness and unconsciousness being so separate or in duality...that when this great change occurs...consciousness and unconsciousness merge! That would be awesome! Imagine the possibilities!

Also, does the universe exist because you are conscious of it or does our consciousness create the universe? As in, the further we can see into space the more our consciousness expands into that space....beyond the confines of our consciousness...does it the universe exist?

Things to ponder!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

You are not your consciousness, but the Awareness of your consciousness! That is your Higher Self!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Life is intelligent energy. The minute you know something, learning stops. Thus you have intelligence but not intelligent energy. The energy is the progression towards infinite intelligence. So the purpose of life is to learn. A universe is born but is of no value without intelligence. The highest potential for the universe is intelligence so the energy within must be an information continuum.

The only thing in the universe that is really eternal is information. Things come and go but the information of them remains in some form or another. Matter behaves the way it does based on its set of intelligent instructions.

So with that as a reference then consciousness can be seen to be the manifestation of intelligence as a ground. Consciousness is like a plane where information can take form and develop in various intelligent energetic forms.

So without consciousness, there would be no energy because energy is intelligent energy. Consciousness is the ground for that energy. This is why waves turn to particles in the double slit experiment. It is because the consciousness provides the ground for informing the waves to become particles.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Interesting. Wave forms...I read an article somewhere that you can think about the world, everything in it..you, me....the lamp...and so on as matter....OR you can think about the same things as wave forms...everything has a distinct wave length or value...

To me, I visualize something like the matrix...except instead of numbers streaming...there are wave lengths. Then the article started talking about solitron waves and how a solitron wave can attract or collect other waves....then it lost me..... Bottom line is...if you think about matter in the form of energy waves sometimes, it gives you a broader perspective. Do I make any sense? I hope so!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Are you sure we can't be aware of unconsciousness? I think It's possible, in the knocked out sense of the word

If you're knocked out, are you aware that you're knocked out?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

There is no progression toward.....the beginning and the end is now.
It is eternally now.
All 'things' appear within consciousness (the space of now, which is you, your presence). In deep sleep you are the no thingness, the void.
You are nothing.
The absolute.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Don't answer that.

But if you became unconscious and you weren't conscious to know it, did you really become unconscious?

So is death real if you're not around to be aware of it?

So what if consciousness wasn't dualistic because we can't be aware of unconsciousness?

Sorry to be so picky, but none of these are theories. They are just questions. A theory generally includes the test results to back up an an assertion (not a question):

Example: A tree falling in the forest makes no sound unless a human hears it, because a sound is a human abstraction. Reference: (some url)

Also (and this doesn't need to be elaborated upon) a "Theory" is far from a "Law", just like a "Hypothesis" is far from a "Theory".

I know I am being kind of formal here. Sorry for that....

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by DAZ21

If you're knocked out, are you aware that you're knocked out?

Yes, you must do. Your consciousness can't cease to exist until you awake again.
You just don't remember what it was doing. Like when you sleep, you dream but you don't remember every dream

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Something being aware of something makes everything conscious to us because we are all one and all connected and all need this connection for consciousness to survive...For example atoms connecting to other atoms cells connecting to other cells, You conscious of me, me conscious of you, both of us conscious of other life and the other life conscious of us, us conscious of the earth, the solar system, the universe. Although there are things we arent aware of that are bigger than we are that are minds cant comprehend that are aware of us that exist in higher dimensions. Its like a 2d life form not being able to look up at a 3d life form and recognize that its being looked upon. Therefore i think that we are like cells and the earth is the body we inhabit and we are subatomic particles in the body that we call the universe...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

Reminds me of this Carl Sagan Video on 2D, 3D and 4D....enjoy. Might be off topic though.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You say that consciousness might not be dualistic and that it is rather a force which pushes everything towards the 'intelligent light' so to speak? That actually seems true.
If so, there is actually nothing stopping consciousness. It will always accelerate forward.

The increase in these new movement of thoughts would then result in more possibilities, each with their own multiple outcomes. This would creates more possibilities for experience, which means more consciousness. More acceleration.
Your theory seems to tie in to the theory that life is actually just an increase in thoughts, eternally racing ahead to experience itself? (One i like to think about.... clearly
)

So in other words,
If i think about buying a car, I realize i need money, and I find a job.
Branch out, climb every branch, multiply.
Haha, that is actually the simplest way to explain what I mean. Sorry if I went a bit off-topic.

As far as conscious/unconscious goes, I think it is just 'degrees of control', rather than just being 'on' or 'off'.
edit on 19-8-2011 by dyllels because: because i still don't make sense

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

thats a perfect explanation and i have seen it before...it makes you think huh?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

Thanks for the comment! Well maybe not all have seen it....but yes, it makes you think. Although it is an older Vid...I still recall it from time to time when in discussions. I don't know it has a simplistic quality and point to it. It is like...Dimensions Class 101!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by blazenresearcher
Also, does the universe exist because you are conscious of it or does our consciousness create the universe? As in, the further we can see into space the more our consciousness expands into that space....beyond the confines of our consciousness...does it the universe exist?

That!...
..is the right question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join