It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you explain these UFOs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hey folks!

I just wanted to share with you a somewhat common occurrence of UFO that I am a witness, once in a while...

Now I won't be abusing your patience with a long, painstaking intro, as some others LOVE to do here
... so first, here's for the description:

A white or fire-coloured light,. flying in a straight line in the night sky, that, at some point vanishes. Not shutting down like a light bulb; just fading out, more or less quickly, exactly like a candle or lamp running out of wick or fuel.

Now I know what a satellite looks like. This flying object is very similar, to the difference that it's at least twice as bright as a satellite, and flies as much times faster. It definitely seems to be in orbital altitude.

My only explanation is that it would be some kind of low-orbit satellite, most probably a weather balloon.

But the fact that some of these occurrences end up fading out for no reason is what strikes me the most, and their speed, that is more like some high-altitude hypersonic jet (that are still secret, an unproven tech) than a satellite, is also intriguing. I've observed them on clear night sky, with no clouds or anything else.

Until I take the habit of going around with a portable telescope on my utility belt, I'll have to be pissed off of not knowing more what that is.

SO, If you have any way to explain these, based on your factual KNOWLEDGE and not assumptions,. that'd be welcome.

Also... if you have witnessed that kind of "UFO", that'd be nice if you share this experience here.
edit on 19/8/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Of course they can.

It's flying monkeys.

They can explain anything.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
Of course they can.

It's flying monkeys.

Ooops... forgot to mention that I wanted SERIOUS answers.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

No pictures, or any type of evidence other than a description? Hmmm.. I think you're settin yourself up for a failed thread
Well I won't be able to help you out either way, I've seen a UFO but it's not an awesome story and I'm not a UFOlogist sooo.. I'm just commenting to tag this thread and see what others say..

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yeah, don't feed the trolls. Some peoples' kids have nothing else better to do.

On topic, there have been meteor showers over the past week or so, and what you could've seen is something along those lines. When a meteor enters the atmosphere, it starts burning up, but once it gets into the lower atmosphere, it can quickly cool off and "fizzle out", if you will, until it impacts the ground.

Or it burns up until there's nothing left, which would also account for the "fizzling out".

edit on 19-8-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo

No pictures, or any type of evidence other than a description? Hmmm.. I think you're settin yourself up for a failed thread
Well I won't be able to help you out either way, I've seen a UFO but it's not an awesome story and I'm not a UFOlogist sooo.. I'm just commenting to tag this thread and see what others say..

Yeah I know the song.... "Pics or didn't happen", written by the band "The Trollers" in 1972

I'm a text-based person. Pics aren't more reliable than a good description. Especially given most nerds out there being able to photoshop.
edit on 19/8/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

Originally posted by Nikola014
Of course they can.

It's flying monkeys.

Ooops... forgot to mention that I wanted SERIOUS answers.

Bad move #2. This just makes it more inviting to offer snarlly comments. But cheers,

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Yeah, don't feed the trolls. Some peoples' kids have nothing else better to do.

On topic, there have been meteor showers over the past week or so, and what you could've seen is something along those lines. When a meteor enters the atmosphere, it starts burning up, but once it gets into the lower atmosphere, it can quickly cool off and "fizzle out", if you will, until it impacts the ground.

Or it burns up until there's nothing left, which would also account for the "fizzling out".

edit on 19-8-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

Umm... not that. I've seen many weird meteors, but that thing was slower and had no trail. Just a point of light. Exactly ike a big moving star... Hence the comparison to satellites.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Post removed because original author already made my observation. My post would have been redundant.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Malkuth because: see post

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There is a major problem that even most UFO investigators face when attempting to explain certain sightings, and that is that they do not have the resources to check the sighting area against civilian and military flight plans, missile launches, satellite passes, and atmospheric conditions. Almost all sightings can be explained under these categories, with the hoax category making up a slight percentage as well.

Even military pilots, on numerous occasions, have mistaken missiles for UFO's, sometimes hundreds of miles away. This is why the Air Force's Project Blue Book was able to dismiss so many cases, because they had the resources to check for all of this military and civilian activity, whether it was classified or not.

Not only that, but atmospheric anomalies make up a large percentage of sightings. Just because someone has never seen light refracted by temperature inversion or some other similar event does not mean it does not happen.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well it makes sense, Malkucth. I have seen these lights not long after sunset, so if these are weather balloons, they could be just reflecting solar light until they get in an angle where the light's no longer reflected....

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
My husband and I were out salmon fishing on the river near where we live one night.. It was really clear out, and the sky was really bright with starts.. so I just usually sit fascinated, and watching for things that might be moving.

Well, I caught a realllly bright star out of the corner of my eye.. it was stationary, or moving slowly, but a second or two after I turned to look at it, it got really bright and then just disappeared. One other guy that was in his boat saw it, but no one else did.. it was strange tho!! Didn't look like a meteor or anything, it's like it glowed, or pulsed real quick or something, then disappeared..

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

good enough.. not saying it didn't happen.. I guess most people are spoiled with all these bunk YouTube vids, and colorful pictures that I.. well SOME have lost our imaginations

edit on 19-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Probably sattelites. Ive see all sorts of satelittes. The regular, the pulsing, the flashing, the fast, two following each other, elongated thether satelittes, super super fast satelittes, blue, yellow, red, white. Sometimes i wonder too, so i also always carry binoculars on me when im on my balcony... Thats how i once something that looked like a super fast tether satelitte.
i need better binoculars...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The ISS is the second brightest object in the night sky (just after the Moon).

www.universetoday.com...

Your description calls satellite or ISS, and probably if you had taken video of it, it would yet seem that. The lights-off effect could be explained by the high-speed of the ISS when crossing?

Well you carry a telescope with you, so I should believe you couldnt mistake the ISS or a satellite for a UFO... so, sorry, not able to theorize now.

edit on 19/8/11 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
A white or fire-coloured light,. flying in a straight line in the night sky, that, at some point vanishes. Not shutting down like a light bulb; just fading out, more or less quickly, exactly like a candle or lamp running out of wick or fuel.

Turn down the sound..... Is this ANYTHING like what your seeing?

you did say it was EXACTLY like a candle running out of wick.... So Im going to say its someone letting of a Chinese Lantern every now and then.
edit on 19/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I think me and my cousin saw the same thing when I had a sleepover at his house. heres my story. We like to go outside and startgase and look for ufo's so we were playing black ops as usual and we decited to head outside about 12:00 am and we saw a ball of light (like that thing over jerusalem) it had no flashing lights likes heli's and airplanes do it was also going waaay to fast to be those I dont think it was a satalite because it was too close it was really cool
. So i don't know what we saw but I know it was not from this world. Thanks for the story

join