It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas judge accepts plea deal, frees Memphis 3

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I put this out here because I never heard of the Memphis 3. I really do not know what to think of this story. I figured it goes best in the social issues forum. What do you think?

JONESBORO, Ark. (AP) — Three men convicted of killing three 8-year-old Cub Scouts and dumping their bodies in an Arkansas ditch changed their pleas Friday, resolving a yearslong effort to win their freedom.

Under a plea bargain, Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley were being freed immediately. The boys' families were notified about the pact ahead of time but were not asked to approve it.

The defendants, known by their supporters as the West Memphis 3, agreed to a legal maneuver that lets them maintain their innocence while acknowledging prosecutors have enough evidence against them. They were credited with time served, and Echols is being freed from Arkansas' death row. They were placed on 10 years' probation and if they re-offend they could be sent back to prison for 21 years, Prosecutor Scott Ellington said.

"I believe that it would be practically impossible after 18 years to put on a proper trial in this case," Ellington said.

"I believe this case is closed and there are no other individuals involved," he said.

Baldwin and Echols each pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder. Misskelley pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree murder. Through a legal maneuver known as an Alford plea, the three men were allowed to maintain their claims of innocence

See the link for the full story.
news.yahoo.com/arkansas-judge-accepts-plea-deal-frees-memphis-3-16 5719493.html

I know it was on Yahoo front page. But not everybody has or uses Yahoo. This is for the few members that sarcastically state so.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
well, looks like it's time to plant evidence, and get that human garbage back in the dumpster where they belong. Keep an eye on this, and mark my words, they will be revoked on probation, and put back in prison, even if it means planting evidence, but hopefully someone will just go do some proper wetwork on these individuals; I'm sure there won't be much of an investigation to three dead slimeballs.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I knew I hated Pearl Jam and the Dixie Chicks for a reason. This just confirms it.

These guys should have been executed and not been supported by this liberal douchbags.
edit on 19-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I lived in this area for twenty years, and I never heard of them either.

But to set the record straight, West Memphis and Memphis are two completely different things. Memphis is known for Elvis, W.C. Handy, Beale Street, it's wild strip clubs, and taking the title of "Most Violent City In America" three years running from the long time champion; Detroit,

West Memphis is across the river in Arkansas and is known for truck stops, lot lizards (some of the raunchiest in the whole US), and the dog racing track.

Okay, except for Elvis I guess there really isn't all that much difference.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

They had no real evidence to convict these guys in the.first place. Most.of the evidence in the case was.contaminated and alot of evidence tied to other individuals was thrown out for no apparent reason. Also there were other suspects in the case that were never followed up on including a man who went into a washroom at a local restaurant alledgedly covered in blood, who h was not far from the crime scene.
Lets not forget the fact that the confessions were proven to be forced and all three confessions didn't remotely match each other.
whether the three were guilty or not this case was one of the most extremely botched cases in the history of the state. Everyone has the right to a fair trial, theirs was anything but fair. Their actions after.release will be the defining factor of their supposed innocence. Or perhaps 17 years behind bars permanently ruined the lives of three innocent people. Only time will tell. Let's see what they do with their second chance.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
About time! Now if there's new evidence they can reopen the case and hopefully bring those responsible to trial.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SlapTheGinkels

Most of the evidence from the case was contaminated or thrown out.
the cops were tossing cigarette buts all over the crime scene and walking all over the.evidence. the creek was drained improperly allowing evidence to be washed away. Others who should have been targeted as suspects weren't even looked in to. There was dna evidence of other individuals which was tossed out.
They will never re open it and we will never know the truth.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

They're guilty. They plead guilty.
wm3truth.com...

edit on 19-8-2011 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I can't believe that some people would still claim they're guilty. These 3 men were arrested as boys because they were the social misfits of their town. They wore black clothes and listened to heavy metal, oh no, they're so evil. It's these hick towns prejudice that convicted these mean and caused them to lose their childhood. I've been following their story closely since about 10 years ago and have supported them and kept up to date on all info related. While I think the plea bargain was BS, cuz that was just Ak way of protecting itself from future lawsuits, I am ecstatic that these 3 men are free today.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
its not like their going to have good lives now after sitting in a cell for 23 hours a day for all of them years i think they need to be brought back into society gradually and if they are guilty of killing them three boys karma will have a fun time with them we used to smash people who were in jail for hurting kids proof or not dont touch little kids or women

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
12 year old boy gets jailed for 30 years, these *snip* get released after slaughtering three, 8 year old cub scouts. Cops tazering, beating, and getting away with murdering people, Indiana "legalizing forced entry without a warrant",
I'm afraid that Liberty has bent over a barrel and lifted her skirt. There is no justice.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Let's not descend into the whole 'personal attacks' whirlpool of deleted posts.

Stick to the topic and away from commenting on each other.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Instead of hating. Do some research. Cops did a terrible job on this one. Good to see them freed.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk
reply to post by aching_knuckles

They're guilty. They plead guilty.
wm3truth.com...

edit on 19-8-2011 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

From CNN (it must be true): they maintained their innocence but acknowledged that prosecutors have evidence to convict them.
www.cnn.com...
"the boys' bodies were mutilated and left in a ditch, hogtied with their own shoelaces. Prosecutors argued that the men who were convicted, teenagers at the time, were driven by satanic ritual and that Echols had been the ringleader."

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Or maybe the agreed to that stipulation so they could just go home. Maybe that was the only way to go free.
It lets the DA keep face but let them finally go free. You have to read between the lines.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You don't plead guilty when you're not guilty.

<<   2 >>

join