Facebook ‘like’ button declared illegal

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Facebook’s ubiquitous ‘like’ button found on countless websites accessible in Germany was declared in violation of the country’s strict privacy laws by a state data protection official on Friday.

“Facebook can trace every click on a website, how long I’m on it, what I’m interested in,” he said. According to Weichert, all the information was sent to the US company even if someone was not a Facebook member.

Source

First of all, let me say, "way to go Germany!" Secondly, this comes not long after Germany's Interior Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich called for the implementation of an internet "alarm-button" (akin to Facebook's "like" button) as a means of reporting extremist content in websites.

That story here.
And the thread I posted on that story here.

A bit of a contradiction amongst the Germans here? Protection from an American company tracking your web activity, but if your web activity includes visiting "extremist" web sites...forget about it, you will be reported and tracked.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well the easy answer to that is to not freakin click the Like button.

If you're that concerned about your privacy then you should be using firefox with script blockers and in private browsing mode using proxies if you're that paranoid.

I think it's a bit silly that people are complaining about something that they opted into.

The answer is glaringly obvious.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Facebook like button.. internets little 666

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
That little like button is nothing new.
Sites track what you click on already.
Im sure ATS does the same analytical analysis to see what people are interested in.

In my opinion, its ridiculous and a waste of time to ban just one company when there are ten others dong the same thing !

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Unfortunately most people are not aware of proxy servers and script blockers. Me, for example, I know nothing of those things. I just don't use Facebook and I ignore Like buttons. But the allure of Facebook is difficult for many to resist, not being in that social circle cuts one off from a lot of the water-cooler talk.

The data mining of Facebook makes me ill. It's like someone coming into my house and taking inventory of my groceries. I don't "like" it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

You don't have to click it, just a page load is enough for them to know who is viewing what page and for how long.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Well for one you don't have to put any truth on your Facebook page and also as stated you don't have to click like ever...although you'll be tracked no matter where you go on the web. I realize Facebook to be a huge waste of time unless you use it for it's true use...A networking tool! I sell gems and make jewelry I also play music so it really helps keep in touch with the stuff I do professionally and I end up finding the best prices on gems see lots more work than I would without it and am up to date on the newest tunes from the people I like. Just as with anything else I guess it all depends on how you use it...and well you don't even have to use it
. Kinda silly to make laws about it...just like outlawing a plant

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
The data mining of Facebook makes me ill. It's like someone coming into my house and taking inventory of my groceries.

Not even close.
A better analogy is you opting in to going into somebody elses house, telling them what your grocery list is, telling them what your favorite things are, telling them what your name, age and home is, telling them where you went to school, showing them pictures of you drunk at a party, showing them pictures of you on holiday, telling them about your favorite music...
...and then getting upset if they remember, and tell someone else.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Telling someone something in person and showing them things on purpose is quite different from sitting alone in my house browsing websites. I would hope that what I do in private on my own computer is kept that way.

Besides, aside from that one kook who says "corporations are people", voluntarily sharing information with a person is one thing. Having information logged and stored in a database is quite another. They don't forget.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It doesnt matter if you click or not, you are still tracked.

You are also tracked by google everywhere you go.

Even this site has 4 trackers.
Use request policy or no ghostery on firefox to stop the tracking.

I thought this was going to be an example of the USs backwards patent law like the with Amazon 1 click button.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chaakin

Again. Firefox with a script blocker.
Can't trace you if the script doesn't run.
You can also block their servers through your hosts file.
Have the server resolve to your localhost.

There are ways to not run afoul of their tracking.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Dislike.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

If you're that concerned about your privacy then you should be using firefox with script blockers and in private browsing mode using proxies if you're that paranoid.

I think it's a bit silly that people are complaining about something that they opted into.

I agree with you.

If you don't like it, stop using it. That is what I did as soon as I learned just how nefarious that corporation truly is, and guess what? Life went on.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I use a Firefox plugin that shows all the corporations and companies that track me called "ghostery".
When you enter ATS you are being monitored by a ****load of ad companies, the most I have seen on a website.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I remember back in the day when people had to call your home phne, and youd better be there if it was important...
Facebook has no real social meaning, not as much as people want to give it. Besides, only the dumb enough people put real data on facebook, and so they deserve what they get, sorta...

new topics
top topics

join