It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: Aliens must Exist, God Does Not. I think That's a bad argument.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is for Atheist who believe in Aliens.
If you don't believe in Aliens then this does not include you.

Basically the overwhelming argument I see on this forum is that skeptic are Religious nut jobs. If a person does not believe in aliens they be very religious.

Their argument basically is
-Religion is a fairy tale, everything based on magical books.
-

To call one thing a Fairy tale, yet Believe in
Cat People
Gray People with psychic Powers
Reptillians

Basically a civilization traveling through the universe,
stopping above random homes
-abducting people through walls,
-Examining them.
-According to some stories having sex, impregnating them (what some would could consider raping, as one has to think a normal person would not agree to screw a being from another planet),
- Erasing their mind,
-returning the person their bedroom

All this while there are no witnesses, can also be considered a fairy tale. It seems that stories about aliens coming to enlighten us, spread their universal knowledge, and peace should not be considered a fairytale.

Or the fact that some Atheist seems to believe that aliens created humans, which is straight from a UFO/Alien Religion religion.

Atheist yell
"show us god, a angel" etc
Religious folk only believe in blindly follow magical Books.

The Religious folks argument is
Show Us a Alien, Show Us a Alien Spaceship, Show us a Wormhole.

The argument can also be made that Atheists who believe in Aliens-
also blindly follow and believe in
Books and TV Shows.
Testimonies.
etc

So Basically I just wanted post my opinion on that subject. Since some are so Outspoken to skeptics on the subject of aliens. I thought it would be interesting to actually compare the two, since skeptics are routinely classified as religious types, even if they are not.

If you consider one a fairytale you should consider both a fairytale.

Also if you want support for your claims regarding aliens, I think it's a bad idea to isolate a group of people who may be open minded to both.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Explanation because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Explanation

This is for Atheist who believe in Aliens.

Define aliens.

Intelligent human like beings

or

The presence of life, in whatever shape, form, and intelligence level

Once you do that it will be much easier to answer you
--

Cat People Gray People with psychic Powers Reptillians

hmm strange that you would bring those up (I dislike that stuff too). Are you insinuating that all atheists believe in this stuff? Are you insinuating all atheists who believe in alien life (my description above for clarity) believe in these things?
edit on 19-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

-Examining them.
-According to some stories having sex, impregnating them (what some would could consider raping, as one has to think a normal person would not agree to screw a being from another planet),
- Erasing their mind,

Angels have reportedly done these very things themselves.

The argument can also be made that Atheists who believe in Aliens- also blindly follow and believe in Books and TV Shows.

Does this not aptly describe religion, believing in books and tv shows?

The problem is, by "his" very definition, we can never "prove" the existence of god, and that's the entire point to religion, to have FAITH.

Science CAN prove if there is life outside of our little blue sphere, given enough time.

I still don't see why some people feel these two subjects are diametrically opposed, they aren't, they can live in harmony.

IN FACT, if we could somehow prove intelligent beings have visited us in the past, this could merge your religion with our reality of science, as it, can easily explain the things in your bible that we find so outlandish.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
i agree there is a problem with atheists arguing with religious people but its mainly because of branding all religious people and atheists with the same pen, much like what you've done.

many atheists are nut jobs who think a probing is their weekly chore, but im fairly sure most are not as i'm an atheist and know many, many others.
i beleive aliens must exist because it's too unlikely that there isn't a planet out there that can't hold life because our planet has so much in so many different enviroments. as to their visiting earth i'd say i'm a bit skeptical.

religious folk can also be nut jobs, many annoy me by stating that atheists are evil and will burn, but most wars are from religion. it makes me for one feel that religion is evil.

different beleifs shouldn't make us fight, they should make us learn
edit on 19-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: because i can

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i agree there is a problem with atheists arguing with religious people but its mainly because of branding all religious people and atheists with the same pen, much like what you've done.

many atheists are nut jobs who think a probing is their weekly chore, but im fairly sure most are not as i'm an atheist and know many, many others.
i beleive aliens must exist because it's too unlikely that there isn't a planet out there that can't hold life because our planet has so much in so many different enviroments. as to their visiting earth i'd say i'm very skeptical.

religious folk can also be nut jobs, many annoy me by stating that atheists are evil and will burn, but most wars are from religion. it makes me for one feel that religioun is evil.

different beleifs shouldn't make us fight, they should make us learn.
edit on 19-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: because i can

Without religion, there will still be good people doing good things and still be evil people doing evil things. It is only with religion that you find good people doing evil things.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think the other way around, if you ask religious people to show proof for there so called god all you hear is there is a book written, or he is just there.
they also just say god exist and aliens dont..
its the same exact thing but the other way around.
edit on 19-8-2011 by M1ghtyM1ck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What about non-atheists that believe in aliens?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

lol yeah i said the exact thing before. although like this.
it takes nothing for a good man to do good things and a bad man to do bad things but it takes religion for a good man to do bad things.
who originally said this?
edit on 19-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Explanation

Basically the overwhelming argument I see on this forum is that skeptic are Religious nut jobs. If a person does not believe in aliens they be very religious.

There was a similar thread on this recently, and the summation is that most atheists do NOT believe in ETs either. This was a surprise to me as I had somehow been led to believe (as apparently you were too) that there were a lot of atheists on ATS that believed in ETs, but it appears that's not the case. So I do at least give them credit for being consistent in their skepticism.

For the record, I am a believer in God and Jesus, but I do not believe in ETs.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Basically a civilization traveling through the universe,
stopping above random homes
-Examining them.
- Erasing their mind,

What is so hard to believe about this?

People thought that thinking the earth went around the sun was crazy.

There were many years of denial. Until, finally the people gave in to the evidence!

We have plenty of evidence of alien visitation! And if aliens are not visiting, there is an even greater probabillity that life exists somewhere in the universe and just hasn't contacted us.

Just because you don't want to see the evidence doesn't mean it isn't there.

edit on 19-8-2011 by thesearchfortruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2011 by thesearchfortruth because: changed their to there

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by M1ghtyM1ck
I think the other way around, if you ask religious people to show proof for there so called god all you hear is there is a book written, or he is just there.

I believe in God outside of the Bible. When I was a small child I found Him in all things around me, I saw structure and intelligent design everywhere in nature. You don't need the Bible to come to belief. The Ontological argument is another example of how one can conclude that God exists completely outside of the use of historical documents.

Originally posted by M1ghtyM1ck
they also just say god exist and aliens dont..
its the same exact thing but the other way around.

Actually most believers do believe in ETs. I'm not saying they don't exist out there somewhere, but I am saying they have not visited us. Astrophysicists have been so bold as to proclaim that there is definitely life out there just because of the sheer number of possible habitats, but they've also proclaimed that they would be so far away that the chances of any type of contact are infinitesimal. That's totally logical and I agree with them.

edit on 19-8-2011 by SavedOne because: typo

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There is enought arguments for both
to beleive they actually exist

Maybe God was a old powerfull alien with great wisdom
we dont know
or the first ascended being that is billions of yrs old

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
im an atheist and i most certaintly believe in alien life. i believe its ignorant to think the human race is the only life in the universe. even as a child in school i didnt believe that 'god' created everything in 6 days. creationism, dont get me started. or that 'god' is everywhere. the bible was wrote by goat herders over 2,000 years ago. the one religious thing i do believe in is that man created 'god'

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Steven Weinberg. Personally, I think it is a rather dumb quote.

He also said "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless."

sounds like a man whom is too smart for his own good

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I agree that if you have two things both with no proof, it seems inconsistent to argue that one exists and the other one doesn't. However, I think most people here are really arguing about the possibility of existence and what they believe.

I think it might be slightly more reasonable to argue that the possibility of aliens is higher than the possibility of their being a "God." After all, we have ourselves as an example of a lifeform that exists in some way on a planet in space, even though we don't have a clue as to how we came about here. This unfortunately brings some people to the illogical conclusion that because of the size of the universe and the high likelihood of a planet presenting the same conditions, that life would somehow magically "spring up" there, too. But at least we are relatively sure we exist, and that's at least something to go from.

"God" on the other hand, is essentially indefinable, and even when somebody tries to define it, they generally make certain unfounded assumptions that makes the whole concept inherently paradoxical. For instance, a lot of people try to define God as an omnipotent, omnipresent entity that created everything. However, if you define it like that, you're basically assuming that this God acted in some way -- moved. If you think about it, though, if something moves, it's because it either needs to or is forced to. And if that's the case here, then you're not talking about a God that has everything and is everywhere, because then there is no need. Does God need your prayers? Hardly. Prayers are useless to this kind of God.

Additionally, if you define God as a creator, then you make an assumption that time is linear and that first there was nothing, and then along came something. But if there's nothing, there's no time, either. Scientific investigation continues to help prove or define time as something that is not linear at all, and more like a property of the universe, rather than a linear dimension. It's more like color. In some places there's more color, in some places less, and in other places the exact contrasting color you're used to. In that case, there is no need for a "creator," because nothing needs to have been created. Everything exists all the time at one point or another, and on top of each other. So this God-thing isn't necessary.

Either way, from a practical point of view, whether something exists or not is a matter of consensus among people. It really doesn't matter whether or not God truly exists if there are enough people around to burn you at the stake for saying it doesn't. If enough people believe there is life on other planets, we'll continue to spend a lot of money trying to find them. But that's the nature of belief. Accepting something as true or existing when you have no proof that it is or does.

edit on 19-8-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I believe 'God' = 'Aliens'.

Yes i believe life on earth Was created by a 'God' = life created by a highly technological extraterrestrial race.

I believe that throughout the many many years 'religions' have been distorted into something way too mystical and magical than it really is, the truth lays behind the various religions in some form or other.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
reply to post by 4nsicphd

lol yeah i said the exact thing before. although like this.
it takes nothing for a good man to do good things and a bad man to do bad things but it takes religion for a good man to do bad things.
who originally said this?
edit on 19-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

It is very close to a quote by Steven Weinburg, a 1979 Nobel prize winning physicist, who with Salam and Glashow combined the electromagnetic and weak forces into the electroweak theory. He said it during an address to the Conference on Cosmic Design, American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1999. My favorite quote from him is:

There are those whose views about religion are not very different from my own, but who nevertheless feel that we should try to damp down the conflict, that we should compromise it. … I respect their views and I understand their motives, and I don't condemn them, but I'm not having it. To me, the conflict between science and religion is more important than these issues of science education or even environmentalism. I think the world needs to wake up from its long nightmare of religious belief; and anything that we scientists can do to weaken the hold of religion should be done, and may in fact be our greatest contribution to civilization.

new topics

top topics

join