It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eruption Overdue at Mount Gambier in South Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Research suggests that Western Victoria and South Australia are overdue for a volcanic eruption.

A Recurrence Rate of 2000 Years

Using the latest dating techniques, scientists from the University of Melbourne’s School of Earth Sciences and the Melbourne School of Engineering have calculated the ages of the small volcanoes in the regions and established the recurrence rate for eruptions as 2,000 years.

With the last volcano eruption at Mt Gambier occurring over 5,000 years ago, scientists say the areas are overdue.

While it's impossible to predict when volcano's will erupt it is always good to have an idea of patterns and this one suggests that something could be on the way. Something to take note of and keep an eye on especially if your planning on buying property or doing anything long term in this area.

geology.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I hope not as have friends at the Mount. All this time I was under the impression that the volcano was extinct. Will be keeping an eye on future events but hope the university studies are wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

University's usually get this data fairly accurate.

They could be wrong though you never know.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I didn't see any mention of recent detection of uplift, seismic activity, gas emissions, water table changes, or much of anything other than the time cycle. And if that is the case, that Geology.com is writing an article about overdue eruptions with a lack of any other evidence, they'd scare us a whole lot more talking about Yellowstone or Long Valley. Cause those do have activity.

So have you seen or heard of any of these symptoms at Gambier?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

None whatsoever and this post wasn't meant to imply that at all. It's only there to show the timeline of recent eruptions.

As far as I know this is extinct and no future eruptions are predicted. However extinct volcanos can come back from the dead

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

None whatsoever and this post wasn't meant to imply that at all. It's only there to show the timeline of recent eruptions.

Hmm, well that's funny, because it seems anytime any of us try to post a thread about Volcanoes erupting when there ARE symptoms, (like Yellowstone), we get accused of fearmongering. I won't stoop so low though as to accuse you of such.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

It's 3000 years overdue..

RUN FOR THE HILLS FOLKS...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

That's because i'm not and you guys do without enough evidence which I have corrected you on many times

I do enjoy your posts though. Makes me pull out all my old geology books.

new topics

top topics

join