Recently it feels like creationsts and young earth believers have taken over ATS, they routinely
pop up in all sorts of threads laying down their beliefs. Everything from dinosaurs co-existing
with humans to saying that the universe is 6000 years old, the big bang is a lie and that
evolution is a myth... They say all these things with no shred of convincing evidence at all
and yet they are never challenged in their ideas. Are there no rational thinking people left
here to counteract this tide of ignorance?
Well I have decided to challenge it and pose
them some difficult questions concerning their ideas.
1. What makes your story of creationism fundamentally different from all the others that exist now, have existed before, and will exist in the
2. How did Noah find all of the animals and get them back to the ark? Did he bring them back one pair at a time, or did they all follow him in a line
as he visited other continents to collect more animals?
3. What did the carnivores eat on the ark?
4. How did koalas get to Australia after the ark washed up on that mountain?
5. Why did your god make life that has to destroy other life, often cruelly, in order to survive?
6. If cruelty and suffering result from a 'fallen world' caused by some original sin of humans, why did your god also punish the animals for it by
creating disease, pain and suffering for them too?
7. Is it just to punish all humans, including those who weren't born yet, for the sins of one? Would you punish your own younger children for the
wrongs of the oldest which occurred before the others were born?
8. If humans are special creations, why do we share the traits of violence, lust, rage, tribal warfare, homosexuality, etc. with animals?
9. Why do you believe your god made only one breeding pair (Adam and Eve), instead of many? With only one breeding pair, fathers are forced to have
sex with daughters, brothers with sisters, and sons with mothers, in order to propagate the species. Is this a divine endorsement for incest?
10. If all civilisations resulted from Adam and Eve, and oral traditions about the god that created them were passed down from generation to
generation, why are there so many other creation stories in the world? Why didn't all civilisations keep their 'true' religion?
11. Why did your god only appear to one group of people? If it can do anything and be everywhere at once, why couldn't it appear to the other people
of the world as well?
12. Why do you get your scientific education from people like Kent Hovind, Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron? These people have no university-level
education in science, and in some cases, no university education at all. Wouldn't it be smarter to trust those who are educated, and actively
researching, in the field?
13. Why has the world, including government funding, science journals, reputable newspapers, education standards, etc., moved on without you, leaving
your barbaric bronze-age theories in their dust? Why have we made so much progress in our understanding after abandoning religious methodology for a
14. Why is there at least some evidence for our scientific theories, but none at all for your creationism?
15. Why is the fossil record arranged in such a way as to suggest evolution?
16. Why are the continents shaped like they were once together, and have similar geology on what would be the common edges?
17. Why are the continents moving apart at a rate that would put them together millions of years ago?
18. If humans are special creations, why do we share the same biology, metabolic pathways, etc. with chimpanzees? Shouldn't we have been made
completely differently to emphasize the point?
19. To avoid the cruelty caused by life killing other life to survive, couldn't we all have been photosynthetic organisms, using sunlight and
inanimate molecules to make our energy? If you're going to say there's not enough energy in photosynthesis, why couldn't your god design a more
effective photosynthetic system?
20. Why does the evidence from so many scientific disciplines, astronomy, geology, biology, physics, chemistry, all converge to suggest the Big Bang
and Evolution, while at the same time pointing away from your theory?
21. Why do the mathematical models behind scientific understanding of the Universe work so well, while creationists have no mathematical models at
22. Does your creation model or your holy book account for things like quantum mechanics? Why doesn't it seem to contain much useful knowledge at
23. If your god didn't explain quantum nature for these people because they wouldn't understand, then isn't it time your god shows itself and gives
us an update now that we have more understanding? Why doesn't it divinely guide some people to write an update to your current holy book? Or is it
allowing us to do that through science? Is the reason we don't need an update that science is doing such a good job of answering the questions?
24. Why does the human chromosome #2 appear to have been created by the fusion of two different chimpanzee chromosomes, complete with structures which
would not be necessary if it was created as a single, unified chromosome?
25. What is the Cosmic Background Radiation? The CBR is an integral part of the Big Bang model, and is in fact demanded by it. How does your
creationism account for it, ie. where does it fit in your model?
26. Why are the galaxies moving apart? Were they once much closer together?
27. Why can we see objects in space that are billions of light years away?
28. What process did your god use to create life? Can you describe how it works?
29. Can you use your creation model to make any helpful predictions that might lead us to further discoveries or understanding?
30. What is one prediction that your model can make which could support your creationism to the exclusion of accepted scientific models, and what
evidence can you find for it?