It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dad Thinks I'm Crazy Evidently

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Okay, so I'm not feeling so great this morning, and likewise I don't feel like going to school because my head is hurting and I have pretty bad anxiety anyways. Me and my dad get into an argument. He's all like you aren't gonna make anything of yourself and you are so smart that you could be anything you wanted to be.Then he brings up me and my interest in Aliens, because I've been watching a lot of TV shows and researching. I'm like yeah, what about it? He had the nerve to ask me that am I afraid that they are gonna abduct me or some $h!t like that and take me away. I'm like, do you think I'm f***ing crazy or something? He says that he wonders sometimes. I told him the reason I've been interested in that stuff is because I just feel something big is on the horizon, and that if you look at the way the world is getting, that we are living in the end times. You know, I've awaken to how the world really is and how easily people are manipulated these days. I'm interested in Aliens too because I want to know where we came from, and that there is something better out there in the universe. Isn't that the whole point in being a human? To find out where you came from? To look for answers as to why you are here? To know if you are alone? This is what society has taken away from most people. People just care about that anymore. They've lost what it means to be human. But right now I'm thinking about what my dad said. It really hurts to think he would say that to me. Just because I've awaken to the way the world really works doesn't mean I'm crazy. As for the Aliens, I hope we find out soon enough just so I can laugh in his f***ing face because he doesn't believe in UFO's and stuff like that. It's only a matter of time. Has anyone else had similar reactions from your family members?
edit on 8/19/2011 by DivineIntervention because: Typo

edit on 8/19/2011 by DivineIntervention because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/19/2011 by DivineIntervention because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DivineIntervention

Is Pops religious?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
tell him nasa says that the aliens are going to come destroy usif we dont institute carbon taxes, and be paranoid about "climate change"

and thats just what nasa said. you could at least show him your views arent as extreme as the "rocket scientists" everyone thinks are so smart.

hehe, for nasa its okay. if anyone else coes up ith stories about aliens they are kooks. stay away from the reptile shapeshifting garbage and you will be fine
edit on 19-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

My whole family is pretty religious. My dad's not really a big Church person. We both agree that Religion and Science can co-exist. I'm a Christian and I believe in God and what the Bible says, but I'm also very open minded to other possibilities. I believe that Religion/Science/Extraterrestrials can co-exist to a point ya know?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

I've tried to explain to him that "Global Warming" is just a scare tactic. The whole Solar System is heating up and going through changes, not just the Earth. I've tried to tell him about it but it just goes in one ear and out the other.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think your dad is right. If you are pissing away your life sitting around and researching #, it would be a real waste. As a young person, you should be working you ass off to make a career for yourself.

Your dad knows this. He sees a person who can make something of themselves if they get started. But they are not started, they are pissing it all away in analysis paralysis.

Don't sit around, get up and do something. So that you are not 50 years old still sitting in your dad's basement researching #.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zestor

I understand where he is coming from, but I didn't want to go to school because my head is killing me. I really don't see the point in trying to succeed when it's not even gonna matter because of the times we are in. The world can't get any better. At the rate it's going, it can only get worse. I just think that spending time with my family is more important than learning from a corrupt school system.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zestor

Hmm

I think your dad is right. If you are pissing away your life sitting around and researching #

I's say IF you are pissing away all your life sitting around researching this, then your dad might be right.

Who the hell are you to tell someone they can't have interests other than making money? Life is about finding a balance.

Anyways.... From my experience with my father, a lot of dads expect their sons to be little robots and do whatever they want them to do, follow their path.

Find your balance. If you are devoting all your time to this doom and gloom nonsense, your dad is right. If it merely interests you and occupies some free time, do as you wish.

Don't get so wrapped up in this that it devours your life, that might be the fear your father has and why he's being hard on you. Specifically in the world we live in now, you can't sit on your hands. You can't sit idle and just "wait for the end times", that's a pathetic excuse for procrastination.

Keep searching, but find your balance friend, it will make life much easier.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

unortunately i know about that too. ice cores blah blah, Co2, shutting down our clean coal mills because japans unclean coal fumes float over. al gore, having 50% less ice 50 years ago than we do today.

some people wont care. they wont even care to look untill everyone around them says its true

thing is. you cant tell a "good, moral" person how evil certain people can be. they have no experience in it. they cant comprehend it. give it time, or just dont tell him anything really.

and there are things people research that is a waste. aliens can be one. but usually when someone researches aliens they find lotsa cool stuff like "antiprotons trapped in the EMF." and that the inside of the sun is extremely cold relative to its corona. i mean, someone is gonna have to explain why the inside of the sun is black some day.

hell, i think writing a book about 2012 is pissing creativity away, but it doesnt stop people from "making a career" of it. in the end its still up to you. do what will make you feel fulfilled, not him

edit- btw, i wonder how many of the people on ufo files, ufo hunters, ancient aliens etc were told they were pissing their lives away. but then they got paid by history channel, science, discovery just the same (to do what they love)

yup, wasted talent if he only wants you making money. after all you should be a banker, surgeon, wall street trader
edit on 19-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by zestor

Hmm

I think your dad is right. If you are pissing away your life sitting around and researching #

I's say IF you are pissing away all your life sitting around researching this, then your dad might be right.

Who the hell are you to tell someone they can't have interests other than making money? Life is about finding a balance.

Anyways.... From my experience with my father, a lot of dads expect their sons to be little robots and do whatever they want them to do, follow their path.

Find your balance. If you are devoting all your time to this doom and gloom nonsense, your dad is right.

If it merely interests you and occupies some free time, do as you wish

Don't get so wrapped up in this that it devours your life, that might be the fear your father has and why he's being hard on you. Specifically in the world we live in now, you can't sit on your hands. You can't sit idle and just "wait for the end times", that's a pathetic excuse for procrastination.

Keep searching, but find your balance friend, it will make life much easier.

It's just a hobby for me. I only do it when I have free time. He acts as if I am converting to Islam or something.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

In short, I will say, Grow Up.

Evidently, your father is ahead of you in the thinking game. It seems to me that he has been listening for thas several decades about what is reported about UFOs and abductions and has some wonderings and unanswered questions in his mind about the whole topic even if his general belief is one of disbelief. And so he questions you about your feelings and knowledge. We can hope that your repiles to him were as excellent as your views stated in the OP.

You should be happy that he even thinks of such things...and has concerns about you even if alien talk is crazy to him. Assume, if you must, that he believes nothing of aliens and may even wrap that in some rreligious coating of demons, etc. That is him and that is not you or your views. Keep in mind that your friends and maybe future spouse also may not share your view and knowledge. Too bad for them, but it is common. (My late wife of 22 years never believed a word of what I had to say about my experiences or thoughts on the topic.) But don't let the atitude of others work iinsidiously to demean your own views. Expressing your own views on a topic such as UFOs can be double threatening to a parent or spouse, beause if they don't believe, then you ARE crazy--Certainly, they won't blame themselves for the shortfall of knowledge in the subject. The focus will be on you!

Tip: Learn never to get far into discussing religiion, politics or UFO (which actually can involve all of everything) until you know the general reception you will get from the other person. As a rule, they don't want unsolicited knowledge--especially from their children.

In this specific instance you write about, don't internalize it into something not intended. Your father is concerned about your well being, shared his views on it and, probably, offered some corrective views opinions. That is being a good parent (maybe a bad parent if the delivery was done insultingly and abusively). --And leave the tin-foil helmet under the bed for awhile.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineIntervention
reply to post by zestor

I understand where he is coming from, but I didn't want to go to school because my head is killing me.

Makes total sense, headaches make it very hard to learn anything.

I really don't see the point in trying to succeed when it's not even gonna matter because of the times we are in. The world can't get any better. At the rate it's going, it can only get worse. I just think that spending time with my family is more important than learning from a corrupt school system.

Math. Math. Math.
If everything does all fall apart, math will help with construction, carpentry, and other skills that might be needed if TSHTF.

If all goes well, and the Earth continues on as it is now, or better than now, math will still take you a long way. It's the basis for almost everything in some way.....

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I heard my father say some of the same things to my brother when we were still at home. He doesn't think you're crazy. He's just...annoyed. Fathers are annoyed at teenagers. It's their job. lol.

You don't have to advertise to everyone what your interests are. Talk about them here, and with others who are interested. With your Dad? Not so much.

new topics

top topics

join