It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: Fake Facebook Identity Used By Military Contractors Plotting To Hack Progressive Organizat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Revealed: Fake Facebook Identity Used By Military Contractors Plotting To Hack Progressive Organization

thinkprogress.org

an assortment of private military firms collectively called “Team Themis” had been tapped by Bank of America to conduct a cyber war against reporters sympathetically covering the Wikileaks revelations.

HBGary Federal floated the idea of using “fake insider personas” to infiltrate left-leaning groups critical of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s policies. As HBGary Federal executive Aaron Barr described in several emails, his firm could work with partner companies Palantir and Berico Technologies
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Government is all over the web like never before
I suspect they are all over wayy more than we think
Well.. Obviously they are.

Things aren't the same anymore, who knows who you are chatting with these days

Obama wants to take the anonimity out of the web, does that include covert web initiatives such as this one?
I suppose not eh, these software created online personas would not have that anonimity lost I assume eh?

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

does that include covert web initiatives such as this one?

As in ATS? Doubtful. ATS is great at talking about and dissecting stories someone else breaks, and someone else reports. Very little content, other than opinion, actually BREAKS from ATS. ATS would be a spot to sit and watch and monitor, not necessarily waste resources infiltrating, though I'm sure some of the more active content providers here might make a list.

This is a double edged sword, acknowledging this activity. First, it helps them if it works, they get in, slant the group and sideline them. Secondly, announcing this policy makes it all that more easy to call everyone disagreeing with you a shill sock-puppet. This tactic, as evidenced clearly on almost every ATS thread, is working wonders, possibly better that out right infiltration. We're doing the work for them infighting and becoming paranoid.

It's quite ingenious really

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Banks paying military firms to stop secrets from going out. Sounds like Anonymous needs to step in and do what they do best.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

does that include covert web initiatives such as this one?

As in ATS? Doubtful.

No no not as in ATS

I mean if DHS uses persona management software and creates fake IDs on facebook or google+ are they going to be exempt from this no-anonimity web initiative?

Because of course that's unfair, as in so many other things I know
I was just making a point

Probably major carriers will supply DHS with ghost IPs or something

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by abilitiy
Banks paying military firms to stop secrets from going out. Sounds like Anonymous needs to step in and do what they do best.

ya no thanks

Why would you want a catalyst for this no-anonimity web?

Seriously wake up guys

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

And second, that late in 2010, the same set of firms began work separately for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a Republican-aligned corporate lobbying group, to develop a similar campaign of sabotage against progressive organizations, including the SEIU and ThinkProgress.

Why is Obama mentionned? The Gov I understand.

Few smart men and a lot of money can have leverage on anyone and the U.S. president is not above it. Any technology available can be used against us if we do not take the time to think. And they'll try their best to make sure you won't be able to take that time.

Why do you think they call it the american dream?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by abilitiy

And what exactly would that be? Jump into some story that already hit the news to gain a little notoriety, take down a website for half an hour, claim victory and slink off?
What they do best is create a reason for HBGary to exist in the first place, they work hand in hand together nicely.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
So Bank of America closes the Wikileaks bank account, Assange gets arrested, Bank of America announces 10.000 job cuts, and now Bank of America sends hackers at Wikileaks sympathizers?

And wikileaks still doesn't release the Bank of America files?

This stinks more than the fbi body farm.

new topics

top topics

join