It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia loses contact with Europe's biggest communications satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It seems as though Russia isn't doing very well at all with launches lately. Just last December they lost 3 GLONASS-M navigation satellites. They all missed their orbits and crashed into the ocean. As well as the satellite they lost in February...all of which weren't insured. These are the people our government expects us to believe are gonna handle our future trips into space...HA!

edit on 19-8-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sorry for the huge links...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

It seems as though Russia isn't doing very well at all with launches lately. Just last December they lost 3 GLONASS-M navigation satellites. They all missed their orbits and crashed into the ocean. As well as the satellite they lost in February...all of which weren't insured. These are the people our government expects us to believe are gonna handle our future trips into space...HA!

Neither has NASA, probes messing up Metric - Imperial conversions, Hypersonic gliders losing contact or crashing into the ocean.

I would say Russia has had a very good track record compared to NASA.

Let's not forget they are the leaders of actually living in space for LONG durations, they sent probes to places years before NASA have.

And all this from a country poorer than America.

edit on 19-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Well instead of going right into your usual America bashing...I wonder what the deal is lately cause yes in both agencies there have been a lot of screw ups lately. Wonder how China's program is doing?

ETA: and well here's the answer Failed launch although the article does go on to say that this is the first of 35 to have a problem and only the second failed launch China's had but they're pretty new on the space scene compared to Russia and the US.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

Well instead of going right into your usual America bashing...I wonder what the deal is lately cause yes in both agencies there have been a lot of screw ups lately. Wonder how China's program is doing?

I am not American bashing

It is simply what I see, yes all agencies have had cut backs, losses, screw ups, but I seem to see them more often in NASA.

Yes they do good things, when they work, absolutely.

I relaly wish we had a Global space agency, that united all the ESA, India, China, Russia, NASA et all.

Perhaps we do, I dont know.

Space exploration is not something that should divide people, it should be doing the OPPOSITE.

Same could be said for all the European bashers, sure Britain has their own space agency, but ESA is where a lot is at, just like AIrbus, Concord et all.

ESA is a huge thing for Europe, dont give it up.

edit on 19-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I bet we'd get much further if that was the case...maybe we'd already be visiting much further places more often and possibly even starting to live on other planets. One could only dream I guess...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's known that Russia can't build rockets for $h!t. The only good things to come out of Russia is the AK-47 and Vodka.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DivineIntervention
It's known that Russia can't build rockets for $h!t. The only good things to come out of Russia is the AK-47 and Vodka.

The last good rocket NASA built was the Saturn V, they lost the blueprints for it.

The ESA also has good rockets.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I would say Russia has had a very good track record compared to NASA. Let's not forget they are the leaders of actually living in space for LONG durations, they sent probes to places years before NASA have.

Last time I checked there was only ONE country who actually landed humans on the moon. The 60's were a series of epic failures for the Russian's. In 1960 there was the Nedelin catastrophe and late in that decade was the the N1 rocket debacle which never successfully completed a test flight. ALL four unmanned launches out of 12 planned tests ended in failure, each before first-stage separation.

Yea, that Russian space program is far superior with their "accomplishments" than the U.S., but seriously, I really wonder how many undocumented deaths occurred in the soviet union during the cold war era. We all know how forthcoming the Russian's were with info when it came to anything that could tarnish mother Russia's image. The U.S. govt. covers up things as well, but not to the level of the cold war USSR. Remember how quick they were to admit to Chernobyl? It took another country to call them out on it, and finally they admitted to it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

They where as quick to admit to Chernoyble as America is quick to admit Japan is spewing radiation over the world.

This is why we need a global space agency, sure they do work together at times, but we need a single identity for space exploration.

As i said previously, space is not a tool to divide people, it is a tool to bring people together.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

You want to hope they build good rockets, it's your countries only way getting people to and from the space station now

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
With all the accomplishments that the U.S. has made in space, they couldn't have done it without the Nazi's. Without Operation Paperclip the U.S. would be FAR behind where it is today, and that is without a doubt. The downside to that is we basically founded & funded the Fourth Reich right here in the good ole USA. ugh!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

You want to hope they build good rockets, it's your countries only way getting people to and from the space station now

Why did NASA decide to use Russian rockets to service the ISS when they could have picked others such as the ESA Ariane 5?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Some claim that aliens will not let Russia advance in rocket technology due to Stalin's aggressive attacks on UFO's in an attempt to reverse engineer the technology. They don't seem to be able to get much off the ground in way of advancing beyond the 60's.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom
With all the accomplishments that the U.S. has made in space, they couldn't have done it without the Nazi's. Without Operation Paperclip the U.S. would be FAR behind where it is today, and that is without a doubt. The downside to that is we basically founded & funded the Fourth Reich right here in the good ole USA. ugh!

Bingo, Saturn V was the big baby of the Nazi V series rockets, also one of NASA's BEST rockets built, but the blueprints ended up in the dog.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hate to break it to all you Yanks and Ruskies...

Chimps and Dogs where in space before both of you

Bite me.

top topics

join