It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animation from NASA wrong ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This NASA animation tell us CME come today but I can see that solar flare appear in last 5 days Earth direction ..

iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

If not explosion is only some very weak wind or they put this animation on wrong side, CME appear at 16 Aug. but on opposite side of Sun ..

Watch STEREO A and B from 14-18 August, no Sun explosion no CME Earth direction ..
Ahead COR 2
Behind COR 2

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Hope someone explain my this, because I cant see that incoming CME ..

edit on 19-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
i dont quite see why it should hit or should have hit earth, because the animated diagramm is 2 dimensional. it seems the flare goes towards earth, but could approach in a different "height", so it misses earth by going underneath or above.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

This diagram is not two dimensional. The left one is top down, the middle one is tangential (I believe, could be wrong, I have the hardest time understanding the middle graph), but the far right graph is equitorial and it shows we are directly in the path of this 'wave'.

I dont see any tells in The XRay Flux though, so Im not sure what to make of the whole ordeal. Nothing being reported at spaceweather dot com. *shrugs*

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The ENLIL stuff is a model used to create a forecast. It looks like that one was created on 8/16 (hence why the date is measuring time since 8/16). Forecasts can be wrong. If you look at the latest ENLIL density plot here, which looks like it was last updated as one 18:00 on 8/18, you'll see it doesn't show a CME in the historical or forecasted time periods.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I did find these graphics, which should help people visualize how those plots relate to 3-D space:

new topics

top topics

join