It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China-U.S Basketball Friendship Match erupts in vicious brawl

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

www.smh.com.au

As US Vice-President Joe Biden built trust with China in Beijing's corridors of power, goodwill between the nations unravelled on a nearby basketball court, where players beat each other up and chairs and water bottles were thrown in a wild, all-in brawl.

A "friendship" game between Washington's Georgetown Hoyas and Chinese professional side the Bayi Military Rockets erupted into a fight as the match wound down at Beijing's Olympic Stadium.
The brawl broke out one night after Mr Biden, who is in Beijing on a four-day visit to discuss US-Chinese economic relations, attended a Georget
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Is this a taste of things to come ? Is the " most favoured trading nation " , and the self professed World's policeman , about to come to more serious blows ?
Is sport a mirror of deeper tensions , that will spill into everyone's reality ?
Is THIS the beginning of a move from the sublime , to the ridiculous ? .... or maybe a halfway point ?
Does International sport give us an insight into the coming furore ? Are these sportsmen/women being used to further the puppeteers agenda . ??????
I've seen this before , and the outcomes are never pretty .
Diplomacy turning ugly ? ... a bow shot ?
... and can it be stopped ?

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 19-8-2011 by radarloveguy because: addlink

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
American's causing more problems? Trying to start another war?

I see it when Americans come to europe, they just become loud mouthed arrogant people. They just practically insult other cultures, they refuse to adjust to another culture's way of life, just like some immigrants.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
So who won?

Seriously though... both teams screwed up. Violence on the court is unacceptable, but to let it happen during a game which is supposed to exhibit friendly ties between China and the U.S., now that's a disgrace for both countries. I hope the athletes who participated in the brawl were severely dealt with by their superiors. I don't think it was a reflection of Chinese/U.S. ties, just a bunch of grown men acting like five year olds. Unfortunately this lack of self control, ethics and discipline on a sports field or court is not uncommon. You can watch nearly any game in any sports category and you'll see that cheating, beating and/or retaliation isn't uncommon.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

I see it when Americans come to europe, they just become loud mouthed arrogant people. They just practically insult other cultures, they refuse to adjust to another culture's way of life, just like some immigrants.

Please,... don't start with the "Europe is the best and most polite place on earth" crap. I'm from Europe, I'm in Europe right now, and I've lived in the U.S. for a little over 20 years now. I am able to look at both sides objectively and tell you that you're full of it. Sorry, I'd be more polite except that your comment struck a nerve with me.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Sporting events always generate these type of energies, but it usually doesn't get this bad. "Friendly" matches always result in a winner and loser, and nobody wants to be the loser, especially when you are representing your country.

I recommend they get together and go fishing or something instead.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

No-one on earth is more rude than the Germans and the French!

If anything the yanks can be TOO polite!

I would take a Yank over a boxhead or a frog anyday

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
dont mess with the hoyas

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

I will take a french or german person for company over an american anyday lol

I have worked with Americans French, germans and russians and polish and romanians and more, slovenians, and more, I never trusted an American and never could at work, they have proved that over and over and they would simply walk over you and stab you in the back, I see them even outside work, they act the big buck, sorry but no, experience is experience lol

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
politics aside, the chinese are known for this stuff.
anyone that watched their basketball during the olympics would've seen it.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Wow! That was some fight!

Both teams should be ashamed of themselves for this. We don't need that kind of crap in sport! Well, apart from this

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

China-U.S Basketball Friendship Match erupts in vicious braw

Hmmmmm . . . [he says while taking the first sips of coffee on a fine Friday morning] . . . I wonder how this will affect the world markets . . . the price of gasoline . . . the bubbling blobs of oil seeping up from the Gulf of Mexico floor . . . the starving folks in Africa . . . murdermayhem in Detroit . . . the scads of unpayable debt around the world . . . melting ice caps . . . freezing assets in Syria . . .

. . . oh . . .

It FRIGGIN' WON'T

I wonder who left the gate open and let Biden out of the back yard . . . and when the hell was it that he was last in the news which kinda tells me the level of importantance placed upon this 'goodwill friendship-building' mission in the first place. In fact, any sentence that has the name Joe Biden in it automatically sets me adrift in the Sea of Who Gives A Crap

On that note, due to a complete lack of interest I officially declare Friday CANCELLED.

edit on 19-8-2011 by GoalPoster because: because life is really just a posts-tequila binge hallucination

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I worked with a russian / romanian / african / chinese / spanish etc.. also worked with some dutch people and I saw them outside work, they act the big buck, sorry but no, experience is experience lol

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

I will take a french or german person for company over an american anyday lol

I have worked with Americans French, germans and russians and polish and romanians and more, slovenians, and more, I never trusted an American and never could at work, they have proved that over and over and they would simply walk over you and stab you in the back, I see them even outside work, they act the big buck, sorry but no, experience is experience lol

Everyone has personal experiences where a person of a race or culture disappointed them. Guess what.... I've been disappointed by Mexicans, Americans, Eastern Europeans, Germans, white, black and yellow people, but I don't hold a grudge or paint an entire continent red just because some idiot who just happened to be of some race or culture disappoint me. Everyone has their village idiot. I don't like it when people go around and stereotype entire countries based on some experience, because it doesn't reflect truthfully on millions of other people who happen to come from the same area.

P.S. Where do you come from, so that I can say I don't like people from _________________ because they stereotype?
edit on 19-8-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Georgetown’s tour through China turned ugly Thursday when a game between the Hoyas and the Bayi Rockets, a Chinese professional team, ended in a bench-clearing brawl.

Mex Carey, Georgetown’s sports information director, told ESPN.com that the game was “very physical,” with 57 free throws taken by Bayi to just 15 for Georgetown, and quickly spun out of control.

According to the Washington Post, coach John Thompson III pulled his team off the court with the score tied at 64 midway through the fourth quarter after the teams exchanged punches. One Hoyas player, Henry Sims, was reportedly hit by a chair.

www.mofopolitics.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
hate to see the beloved game of basketball turned into some freak show in China. A source on the BBC was saying something about the refs were no where to be found. I wonder if the NBA players going over seas understand how big of a mistake it could be...?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

I doubt that the actions of some idiots playing a game for people with ADHD will really create issues in the political world. China has been painted into a corner with all of their manufacturing an have killed their environment as a result of it. They need the world more than we need them so dont worry about China.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
would never have happened if they had of sent

Bird (c)
Jordan
Ewing
Hardaway
Hill
and abdul over!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

You've hit the nail on the head Jenna!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy

www.smh.com.au

As US Vice-President Joe Biden built trust with China in Beijing's corridors of power, goodwill between the nations unravelled on a nearby basketball court, where players beat each other up and chairs and water bottles were thrown in a wild, all-in brawl.

I laughed real hard at this.

How's this for goodwill? *Chair to face*

But seriously this is horrible behaviour and I hope they get chewed out really bad for it. Strange to see a fight break out at a basketball game, I thought that was reserved for footy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join