It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia runs out of food stamps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I would hope this is an isolated incident, but given everything else going on in the world, I see this is where the rest of the worlds' problems just caught up to us. I heard the foodstamp dude saying he has problems with budget cuts, but couldn't give a straight answer on where the entitlements were and when they'd get them back.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 19-8-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
my family of 5 live on food stamp T.T omg... im scared =[ hopefully ron paul will fix this if he get ellected...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I would strongly suggest learning a needed skill or trade to barter.. Hunting and fishing I bet are about to get REAL popular. If this is the beginning, people who do not know how to live off the land are going to suffer greatly. Learn about plants. An organic salad is no more than a dandilion. There's food and resources everywhere if you know what to recognize. Time to get back to the ways of the ancestors. Native american ancestors, that is.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It's money they run out of, not food stamps. Food stamps aren't issued as paper "stamps" like they used to be, they're put on an EBT card, looks like a debit/credit or bank card. States get funded through the feds so I suppose there could be funding issues. All the government programs probably are having funding issues but I've never seen any state run out of food support funding. I believe that program is through the Department of Agriculture.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

Coming to a town or city near you soon! They can't just keep charging up the credit card to pay for government. But they'll cut people off from eating before they'll cut government or police etc...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
It's money they run out of, not food stamps. Food stamps aren't issued as paper "stamps" like they used to be, they're put on an EBT card, looks like a debit/credit or bank card. States get funded through the feds so I suppose there could be funding issues. All the government programs probably are having funding issues but I've never seen any state run out of food support funding. I believe that program is through the Department of Agriculture.

The state backs the food stamp dollar with real dollars. If there's no money in the treasury, there's no food stamps. It would be the same as giving the food away. Still no straight answers. Just excuses. I did hear that something like this occurs around there every so often from a local. Never heard of anything like it before myself.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

There is a huge difference between
the entire state of Georgia
and dozens of families in Clayton County.

I suspect some intransigence between the state and county officials.

David Grouchy

(edited the word dozen to say dozens)
edit on 19-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Okay, I know people on food stamps in this difficult period. I feel for them. However, the person they interview on the sidewalk there is ridiculous and needs some serious life skills training. Food Stamps are NOT cheap about the benefits with kids, and if she was actually WITHOUT FOOD, it's her own fault for never learning to shop and budget the food she has, properly.

Perhaps others who aren't uncomfortable about it can share just HOW generous food stamps are when multiplying children for benefits, but again, in knowing people who are on them I can assure everyone there is plenty to last if one knows how to properly run a household. A one day outage of food stamps not be a crisis or even inconvenience for ANYONE. Imagine this times x's a fair % of 45 MILLION people if tshtf and the stamps end forever.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
They didn't say "dozen." They said dozens of families. And yet, still no answers as to when it will be resolved. Just excuses. This is, and has been going everywhere else in the world. How long you think we're uninvolved or affected?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It was a technical glitch they say. I'm in GA. Food stamps are going on in most places, it was in that one area.
They aren't out - my neighbor got his on the 15th.

Personally I think it was a test of some sort.

If they did cut food stamps, the grocery stores here would probably close. We've lost half of the ones we had as it was.
Think about it - if you've got 20% or so of people on food stamps, and you were to suddenly lose that....it would hurt the stores bad.

Want to add - one time I went shopping at CVS at 2am. It's on the other side of town but I had a lot of coupons to do and I'm a nightowl & wanted to get the jump on folks for the sale. Anyway, suddenly ALL these people were in the store. I noticed they were getting milk, cereal, chips and dip, cokes. I asked the clerk what was up and he said that food stamps just went on the cards and that since they were the only 24 hour store on that side of town, all the hungry folks came in there to get something to eat.

Blew my mind.
edit on 19-8-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
They didn't say "dozen." They said dozens of families. And yet, still no answers as to when it will be resolved. Just excuses. This is, and has been going everywhere else in the world. How long you think we're uninvolved or affected?

You are correct.
I edited my post to reflect that it said "dozens" not "dozen"

As to this affecting everyone,
again I agree.
The most dangerous person in the world
is someone who is two bits short and can't get something to eat.

David Grouchy
edit on 19-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: format

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was born in GA.
They have huge freakin' billboards that advertise welfare and EBT.
" DO YOU QUALIFY? APPLY NOW"
I was blown away at the ignorance when I first saw these.
Georgia is a beautiful state, and I do love her...but apathetic voters have let morons and ignorant nutjobs run the state for decades.
I left years ago to pursue oppertunity, which left GA long before me.
edit on 19-8-2011 by BadNinja68 because: typos

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Is there any way we can help them?

Donate food or something?

I really want to help them and i think everyone wants too.

edit on 19-8-2011 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2011 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I would try calling the Red Cross local office and ask. They likely are in the middle of it anyway. I always got a kick out of the cows on the chic-a-filet billboards. A star for davidgrouchy on the last post.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
The most dangerous person in the world
is someone who is two bits short and can't get something to eat.
Not quite. The most dangerous peron in the world is someone who believes it is their right to eat, but can't get food. When food stamps are your RIGHT, and they take that away, then you become dangerous to society.

And that is not the same as saying that we shouldn't feed the hungry.

top topics

join