It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 Quake, 50cm tsunami heading towards Miaggi/Fukushima

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
50 cm tsunami .. are you kidding me
thats a wave... NOT a tsunami

if it reach 6 foots then maybe we can use the term tsunami
but not below that

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Hi All,

No Need to Panic. No Tsunami, Even If it comes, wil be only 0.5 Meters High..

Earthquake overview : A very strong but probably harmless earthquake/aftershock occurred approx. 60 km out of the Japanese Eastern Honshu coast. JMA Japan had a tsunami advisory in place for 37 minutes.

the tsunami advisory has been lifted for this earthquake

Screenshot from the JMA intensity map (courtesy JMA Japan) - the orange color is the 5- intensity zone
07:00 UTC : TEPCO, the owner of the Fukushima Nuclear plant has reported that NO additional damage was inflicted to his facilities.

06:46 UTC : JMA has released the sequence of events as reported by their services :
15:15 JST 19 Aug 2011 Fukushima-ken Oki M6.8 Cancel of Tsunami Warnings/Advisories
14:39 JST 19 Aug 2011 Fukushima-ken Oki M6.8 High Tide Time and Estimated Tsunami Arrival Time at each place
14:39 JST 19 Aug 2011 Fukushima-ken Oki M6.8 Estimated Tsunami arrival time and Height
14:38 JST 19 Aug 2011 Fukushima-ken Oki M6.8 Tsunami Advisories
Based on their report, the tsunami advisory has lasted 37 minutes. One of the JMA concerns was also the high tide which increases the tsunami danger considerably.

06:42 UTC : Those among you who want to see a very detailed tsunami map from this earthquake should click on this link. The map loads slowly, but gives a very good impression of the vularable areas on the the eastern Honshu coast (at least for this earthquake)

06:30 UTC : I Have Felt It reports
Chiba : light shaking indicated (MMI IV)

06:30 UTC : the tsunami advisory has been lifted for this earthquake (tsunami advisory was lifted at 06:15 UTC). The tsunami advisory was called for the following prefectures : Miyagi and Fukushima

06:24 UTC : People who are concerned with the nuclear power plants in the area (as they were again hit bu this earthquake), should be told that the risk for the nuclear plants comes from high wave tsunamis only. A 0.5 meter tsunami is not a real treat for the plants + the shaking should be at least 5+ or 6 JMA to be problematic.

06:23 UTC : 5- intensity has been reported for the following areas : Miyagi Misato-machi Kimatsuka*, Zao-machi Enda*, Ishinomaki-shi Monoucho*

06:21 UTC : GDACS has not released a tsunami report which is a good sign as they are very specialized in tsunami prediction (GDACS is mostly calculating the theoretical values based on the USGS data)

06:14 UTC : NOAA reports that :
…A STRONG EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED BUT A TSUNAMI IS NOT
EXPECTED ALONG THE CALIFORNIA/ OREGON/ WASHINGTON/
BRITISH COLUMBIA OR ALASKA COASTS…

06:12 UTC : Japan JMA seismological agency is reporting a magnitude of 6.8 at a depth of 20 km.

06:10 UTC : The expected tsunami arrival times are :
MIYAGI PREF. (*1)
Ishinomaki-shi Ayukawa 15:00 JST 19 Aug
Sendai-ko 5:30 JST 19 Aug
FUKUSHIMA PREF. 14:50 JST 19 Aug
Iwaki-shi Onahama 15:20 JST 19 Aug
Soma 15:20 JST 19 Aug

06:09 UTC : WAPMERR, the theoretical Earthquake Loss Estimate engine confirms our own opinion that there will be no injured or deaths based on this earthquake.

06:09 UTC :2,832,000 people will have felt a moderate shaking, 6,0067,000 will experience a light shaking and nearly 40 million people a weak shaking.

06:07 UTC : The earthquake will certainly be well felt in Tokyo

06:07 UTC : Although a tsunami advisory is in place, the shaking of this earthquake will be strong but probably not damaging as the epicenter is at 60 km from the coast.

06:04 UTC : The earthquake region (strongest felt is) : FUKUSHIMA-KEN OKI

06:02 UTC : A Tsunami advisory in in place for the IWAKI coast : The max. expected wave height is 0.5 meter

06:01 UTC : Although this is an extremely strong earthquake, the JMA intensity data is revealing (only) a -5 result, which means probably NOT damaging.

edit on 19-8-2011 by AncietSoul because: To say Hi to All

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AncietSoul

So you are saying no need to panic from somewhere in Japan then, ancientSoul?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
reply to post by XplanetX

I'm pretty sure Mercury is aligned as well.

That was on the 16th. Mercury, Venus, Earth and the Sun. It was actually a quiet time too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

edit on 19-8-2011 by lenya007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 19-8-2011 by lenya007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

but not below that

You guys don't understand tsunami waves. It may be only half a meter high but could be 200 meters deep(back) Its not like a normal short wave it is a huge surge of water that can still have the power to engulf some lower parts.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
hard to believe this isnt on the front page...

bump..

any updates from japan?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Tsunami warning was cancelled and everything is quiet again.

So good news

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Those poor people! Any
reports of the aftermath
of the quake?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
guys, I am in a city outside Tokyo and i just saw my friends face melt off.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by STEADFast

Pics or it didn't happen

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

A tsunami warning is not the same as "tsunami heading towards...etc". Take the trouble to be accurate and truthful please.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I have the unfortunate past of having to run from the Three Mile Island incident, and although it was not as bad it is there it did involve that same sense of the unknown. But we were free to move away as far as needed until it was deemed safe. I have been to Japan and only can imagine the sheer fear of being so restricted to how far you can run away.
Most of us here really are concerned for you and are just amazed by the seemingly complete black out that is going on. I personally check the earthquakes daily and have seen that since March there have been constant 3.0 to 6.0 quakes. My nerves would be shot by now if I had to go through that and the daily worries of having the worlds’ largest nuclear disaster in my back yard.
Keep your faith and courage up.

edit on 19-8-2011 by LAMudd because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2011 by LAMudd because: grammer and such

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld

Pics or it didn't happen

Sorry, I can't understand why is this funny for you. Please, show respect.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

but not below that

LOL I know right.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The next time there is a big quake I will not bother coming here.

Trailer trash, well your name suits you. I was being truthful and posted this while trying to understand the tv, all in Japanese, and calm myself down.

Seriously, you can all get lost.

Living in the middle of this for months and months is not exactly fun, and I thought it would be appreciated if I put the info up here. Clearly not.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Pics of friends or you don't have any.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I understand your frustration, but not everyone feels the way those posters do. I can somewhat understand what they are going through, just on a much smaller scale, due to the total destruction caused by the April 27th tornados in the US. Thoughts and prayers go out to you all.
edit on 19-8-2011 by 1curious1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
The next time there is a big quake I will not bother coming here.

Trailer trash, well your name suits you. I was being truthful and posted this while trying to understand the tv, all in Japanese, and calm myself down.

Seriously, you can all get lost.

Living in the middle of this for months and months is not exactly fun, and I thought it would be appreciated if I put the info up here. Clearly not.

HAHAAHAHA. *holds sides* TIS you crack me up. Clearly you are the only person on earth suffering and we are ALL just privileged fat Americans with nothing better to do than judge you in a racist manner. Good grief girl. Wake up! You've had awesome advice and support on this forum - folks even offering their homes to you and your kids!

Feel free to come back and attack us if there is another big quake!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join