It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 Quake, 50cm tsunami heading towards Miaggi/Fukushima

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
WArning of tsunami hitting, also to beware of aftershocks.

link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

Ok Sunny, I'm praying for you guys! As I was told, 50cm Tsunami isn't a big deal, right?

link   
For the non-metric,
50 cm = 19.7 inches.

I feel for these people. They've been through so much and I'm sure they are tired of the earthshaking too. I hope they are prepared, and those in unstable buildings get out in time.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BGbeauregard
reply to post by summer5

Is this a different quake, or are they calling the same quake a 6.5?

That makes 2...a 6.2 and 6.5

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Any level of tsunami hitting those power plants is not a good thing. Also the earth is already loose, and so there may be some landslides.

50cm is nothing as huge as the very bad one, but also not good news.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
We are all quite alright in Tokyo, just a bit of a shock! It is Miaggi and Fukushima which worry me, esp those nukes. Ill go listen to the tv and see what else I can pick up.

link   

Ok, keep us posted, praying for you guys. Hope everyone is safe.

link   
Tsunami Warning/Advisory

Issued at 14:38 JST 19 Aug 2011

******************Headline******************
Tsunami Advisories have been issued for the following coastal regions of Japan:
MIYAGI PREF.
FUKUSHIMA PREF.
*******************Text********************
Tsunami Advisories have been issued for the following coastal regions of Japan:

*MIYAGI PREF.
FUKUSHIMA PREF.

Tsunamis are expected to arrive imminently in the following coastal regions of Japan
(coastal regions shown above with * marks):
MIYAGI PREF.

***********About Tsunami Forecast************

Tsunami height is expected to be about 0.5 meters. Attention advised.

******* Earthquake Information ********
Occurred at 14:36 JST 19 Aug 2011
Region name FUKUSHIMA-KEN OKI
Latitude 37.6N
Longitude 141.9E
Depth about 20 km
Magnitude 6.8

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I hope all those other nuclear plants along the coast there will be ok. Oh geez.

50cm tsunami - how does that compare to the last one that hit, anyone know?

I am glad it is a good time for people to be awake. it is 2am here, guess we are 12 hours time away.

50 centimeters is 19.7 inches, a little over a foot and a half. The highest waves to hit Japan during the original tsunami in March were about 12 meters (39 feet) at Sendai Airport or 1,200 centimeters.

I wouldn't be concerned with anything being washed away unless I was having a picnic on the beach.

ETA: OOPS. I guess 12 meters wasn't the largest wave, just the largest to strike a heavily populated area. I found this description of a MONSTER wave on Wiki:

A joint research team from Yokohama National University and the University of Tokyo also reported that the tsunami at Ryōri Bay (綾里白浜), Ōfunato was about 30 m high. They found fishing equipment scattered on the high cliff above the bay.[118] At Tarō, Iwate, a University of Tokyo researcher reported an estimated tsunami height of 37.9 m (124 ft) reached the slope of a mountain some 200 m (656 ft) away from the coastline.[119]

Also, at slope of nearby mountain from 400 m (1,312 ft) Aneyoshi fishery port (姉吉漁港) of Omoe peninsula (重茂半島) in Miyako, Iwate, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology found estimated tsunami run up height of 38.9 m (127 ft). This height is deemed the record in Japan historically, as of reporting date, that exceeds 38.2 m (125 ft) from the 1896 Meiji-Sanriku earthquake. ~ SOURCE[120]

A 127 foot Wall of Water

That's staggering just to think about.
edit on 8/19/2011 by OldCorp because: Added link

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm seeing something confusing and possibly a bit dangerous on twitter - looks like the PACIFIC tsunami warning center is saying no risk exists?
I think though, that is for the North American coast and Hawaii. But it is really confusing.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I hope you are right! Seeing as the original quake was a 6.2 (that caused the warning) and the following quake was a 6.2...I hope its only a picnic on the beach we have to worry about.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
50 cm vs 14 m...

This tsunami is merely a ripple compared to what has already been experienced back in March.

A shindo 5 is pretty strong shaking, so structural damage to already weakened buildings is practically guaranteed...

The Tepco Live Cam shows nothing newly (obviously) damaged, and in fact the crane game is still being played out.

And yes, this is a normal aftershock in a sequence that is likely to last for years.

It really is mind-boggling, the difference in energy release between a 6.5 and a 9.1, so much so that most people have a hard time wrapping their head around the disparity.

Not to say this is a good thing, or won't have a negative impact on the situation at Daiichi, just that quakes of this magnitude (and even a bit higher) can be expected for some time to come.

Stay Safe, TIS.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Which is all very glib of you, until you remember there are people still in those areas, and land is already loose from many quakes.

There are also nuclear power plants being held up by nothing but goodwill right now, and they are right on the coastline.

This is why I havent bothered with this ATS.

Im sure if your loved ones were here you might show a bit more decency.

Honestly.

Forget it. I wont bother in future.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Im alright here, always ok, thanks Jaded.

I agree there will be aftershocks for a while, but unless you have been in the middle of it for months, and then there comes along yet ANOTHER one, just when everything feels normal, it is like psychological warfare.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

I'm still only picking up the 6.5 Could you show me info on the other quake? I have one listed at 6.2 a couple of hours earlier in the Fiji region, but that was at a depth of over 400km.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

If it helps any, I'm worried about the same things as you seem to be.
And I worry about those areas that were already seeing some liquefaction.
And Fukushima, with those cracks in the ground....Oh geez.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Already Tepco is saying there is no damage to Fukushima from the quake or tsunami, and Onagawa is also not damaged.

This is under an hour after the quake. Good to see they are as thorough as they usually are. Their checks seems to be a case of looking out the window and saying 'well its still standing'...

Areas which used to be much higher are not going to be under water in a 50cm tsunami apparently, and the recovery workers have had to evacuate to higher ground. According to NHK anyway..
edit on 19-8-2011 by ThousandIslandSunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
the warning has been cancelled
no danger at all

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I am seeing on twitter that the tsumami warning was cancelled, but it is confusing.
I can't figure out if that is for Japan or the US.
B/c I saw that there WAS one in Japan - a warning - and then it came up there was no alert for Hawaii and US Pacific coast and I wonder if people are getting those confused or?????
edit on 19-8-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join