It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi soccer team upset Bush is using them in ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
From CNNSI...

"Sadir had a message for U.S. president George W. Bush, who is using the Iraqi Olympic team in his latest re-election campaign advertisements.

In those spots, the flags of Iraq and Afghanistan appear as a narrator says, "At this Olympics there will be two more free nations -- and two fewer terrorist regimes."

"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Sadir told SI.com through a translator, speaking calmly and directly. "He can find another way to advertise himself."

"My problems are not with the American people," says Iraqi soccer coach Adnan Hamad. "They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything. The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there are shootings on the road?"

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

[edit on 19-8-2004 by sensfan]

[edit on 19-8-2004 by sensfan]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i can understand what he's trying to say, and someday i might agree with him. but the fact is he wouldn't be in the olympics now if it weren't for the iraq war. and it's not like the amreican army's killing is unsolicited, they are after all fighting insurgents. it's like the man who they quoted wants the good, but not the bad. he wants the rewards, without the baggage.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Astroblade, for every 5-10 "insurgents" that are killed, about 2-3 civillians are killed. We have killed more civillians than 9/11 did, which Iraq had no part in. Thats right, Iraq had no part in 9/11, that was mainly Saudi Arabia and Syria. And did Bush&Co ask their permission to use them in a commercial? NO! In America you would get sued for this! If I made a commercial with a image of say, George Carlin without his permission he would be able and legally allowed to sue me for it.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
i can understand what he's trying to say, and someday i might agree with him. but the fact is he wouldn't be in the olympics now if it weren't for the iraq war. and it's not like the amreican army's killing is unsolicited, they are after all fighting insurgents. it's like the man who they quoted wants the good, but not the bad. he wants the rewards, without the baggage.

Umm you do realise that this is not the first time Iraq has had atheats in the Olimpics don't you? As for all the innocents who are killed by American fire.. I am sure that they understand that the American occupation of their country is to fight the insergants when they get shot. No the man simply is stating the he does not dislike Americans.. he simply does not think that the American government should have done what they did and are still doing to his country. Also that Bush should not be using their images to pramote his election.

Wraith

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
While am not a legal expert, I don't believe that the Iraqi soccer team would have any grounds to sue.

The commercial doesn't say they support bush. It says, as far as I can tell, that they wouldn't be at the olympics without US intervention in Iraq.

As sports celebrities, whose images are broadcast pretty wide, they have a pretty high bar for what constitutes libel.

You don't need an athlete's permission to publish their image of them performing on the field.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

While am not a legal expert, I don't believe that the Iraqi soccer team would have any grounds to sue.

The commercial doesn't say they support bush. It says, as far as I can tell, that they wouldn't be at the olympics without US intervention in Iraq.

As sports celebrities, whose images are broadcast pretty wide, they have a pretty high bar for what constitutes libel.

You don't need an athlete's permission to publish their image of them performing on the field.

If there was no gain to be had then you may be right. However if their image is used for financial or political gain I think they would have a right to sue.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sorry but Bush has absolutely no class. I expect nothing less from him. This is the same guy that pulled rescue workers off the pile at the WTC site so he could get on top and campaign like some kind of idiot. That spokesman was absolutely right. I would think Bush would listen to what he said but its unlikely. Bush simply isn't that smart.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've seen the commercial, no Iraqi athletes are pictured in it, just the flag. The people that put it together did a pretty good job, it's a powerful campaign ad.

Yes the Iraqi's have been in the Olympics before, but not since 1988. On top of that Iraq's national teams were under the watch of Uday Hussein who tortured them if they didn't perform well. I think the pressure's off now.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Found this posted on the Fox & Friends Blog written by Brian Kilmeade.

Seems he is rather upset and wants us to stop supporting them.

Finally, please join with me in pulling for the Iraq soccer team to get booted from Olympic play. Those ingrates in the midst of being the surprise success story in the games have started degrading our military our president and the war. In fact, one of these players says if he wasn�t playing soccer he would be an insurgent in Fallujah.

If you want to read it here you go...
Fox & Friends Blog

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
This is the same guy that pulled rescue workers off the pile at the WTC site so he could get on top and campaign like some kind of idiot.

I'm no Bush supporter, but this is just completely wrong. Those people were clamoring for him to speak to them, they needed to hear the President say something, anything to them. He didn't pull workers off the pile. He didn't plan to speak that day, Bush didn't want to speak. He had no speech prepared. Do you really think Bush would ever want to speak in public without something prepared for him? There's a pretty good description of these events in Bob Woodward's book, Bush at War.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Wow, pulling the Iraq team for not liking the guy that is getting their people killed in larger numbers than Saddam. How dare they!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wow, pulling the Iraq team for not liking the guy that is getting their people killed in larger numbers than Saddam. How dare they!

That's just some guy's personal blog. The Iraqi soccer team will play soccer, and be in the Olympics. So what are you worried about?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I completely disagree. These people were digging to recover their friends and coworkers. I am sure they were saying "Hey Bush... climb up on this pile so we can hear you speak." Not hardly. There were plenty of places for him to speak. On the pile was the absolute wrong place. Too me it was a tastless display of Bush campaigning. In a disaster like that every minute is valuable. Who knows if that idiot cost anyone their lives or not. He could have been a real leader and helped out instead of delaying things.

Originally posted by PistolPete

Originally posted by Indy
This is the same guy that pulled rescue workers off the pile at the WTC site so he could get on top and campaign like some kind of idiot.

I'm no Bush supporter, but this is just completely wrong. Those people were clamoring for him to speak to them, they needed to hear the President say something, anything to them. He didn't pull workers off the pile. He didn't plan to speak that day, Bush didn't want to speak. He had no speech prepared. Do you really think Bush would ever want to speak in public without something prepared for him? There's a pretty good description of these events in Bob Woodward's book, Bush at War.

top topics

join