It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T’s New Text Plan Overcharges You by 10,000,000%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
That's so nice of AT&T... they sure love their customers.

Exclusive: AT&T’s New Text Plan Overcharges You by 10,000,000 Percent. Literally.

AT&T's killing their $10/1,000 text plan. Now, you'll have to choose between $20 for unlimited, or forgo a plan and pay $0.20 per message. AT&T calls this "streamlining." We call it what it is: an outrageous, gigantic scam.

Each text hitches a ride on an infinitesimally small data packet, chugging through traffic that would've been there anyway. For AT&T, it's basically a freebie—160 bytes of data.

For you, it's quite the opposite. For you, text messages cost money. A lot of money. How much money? Well that all depends. Starting next week, the only texting options for new AT&T subscribers will be a $20/month unlimited buffet, or paying per text, which is insane.

AT&T offers a 2 gigabyte per month phone data plan for $25. By breaking this down, we can find out how much they think each text's worth of data costs. And according to this value, when you're using the same amount of data to send a text without a messaging plan, they're charging you 100,000 times more. Yes. Blink a few times and read that again. When AT&T calls data texting, it costs 100,000 times more than when it's in the form of photos, music, email, or anything else. They're ripping you off with the force of a nuclear bomb.

Here's how it breaks down:

AT&T charges $25 for 2 gigabytes of mobile data, which states how much they think their bits and bytes are worth. That comes out to 80 megabytes per dollar. 80 megabytes will get you 500,000 text messages—assuming you're writing the largest possible message, which you're often not (i.e. "Hey" "Nothing" "lol").

Now divide that dollar by the 500,000 potential texts. That comes out to $0.000002 per text—two ten thousandths of a cent. A very, very, very small amount of money.

Now, let's say you send 5,000 texts a month. That's a large, though wholly realistic number. Multiply that by the above worthless cost per text, and you've got—hold onto your wallet!—$0.01. A penny for five thousand texts, according to how much AT&T says its data is worth in a data plan.

But outside of the data plan? Oh boy! Things get very different very fast. And by very different, I mean inordinately overpriced. Those same 5,000 texts, at a rate of $0.20 per message, will cost you $1,000. Not a penny—a grand. Two very different prices for literally the exact same thing.

Nice job there, AT&T... and with them leading the charge, you betcha other companies will do the same.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
And this is for all you suckers who have a cellphone because you cant be without having your faces in some internet thing or text message.. Yes I do not own a cellphone, and I use a mattress as a bank..

Well as long as people pay for it, companies will continue to rape you...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
And this is for all you suckers who have a cellphone because you cant be without having your faces in some internet thing or text message.. Yes I do not own a cellphone, and I use a mattress as a bank..

...and use a bush for a computer?

Anyway, it's always been like this with cell phones...the texting plan is always better than pay per text. I thought everyone knew that.

Cool to see the actual numbers though.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Well as long as people pay for it, companies will continue to rape you...

I have the world in my pocket for a few bucks a month.

I'm not a sucker.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
...and use a bush for a computer?

No I jack my internet via 40 mice running on 40 wheels.. its a wondrous thing those mice.. and I use a tube monitor from the 80's and the rest of my house is the pc... so ya.. I am so old school and I am only 37..

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I have a droid, everything unlimited, plus one hundred minutes to mexico, 55 bucks a month. Phone ins and taxes, 63 even

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

When text messaging was first offered, it was great because there were many options that were fair. I specifically remember the $4 for 200 messages plan. That was promo. After it ended, there was a $5 for 200 plan.

After that, I can't remember the details, but I remember being pissed when I called once and wanted to add texting but the cheapest was for like $10 and way more than I needed (probably this 1,000).

NOW, they're removing the $10? Time to shut off service! They really want to try to squeeze as much money as they can out of the pockets of their desperate customers. Instead of getting pissed of and dealing without this feature, they just get cocky and fork over the money anyway.

To hell with these corporate monopolistic pigs! While they don't have a monopoly, together with the rest of them, they operate a bit like an oligopoly, since most people prefer the big carriers to get the in-network calling. They don't compete with each other as much as they all keep roughly the same high prices!

Switch to pre-paid and end this game of constant upgrades! A phone is great for calls and texts, but it's becoming absurd the fees required to use the fancy ones! And if you're online already (with data package or at home), use free texting. Many messaging clients allow this. Google Voice is one I like, which also allows you to have an internet number to route and block and screen calls. Very nice stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Virgin mobile, 25$ a month for unlimited text/crap web, and 300 minutes.

I've never had a lost call or missed text, just make sure your area is in their coverage.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There is still alternatives to ATT. Best of all. Go to a competitor. Me personally I turned off text messaging on the phone and never looked back. I have a email address. And a basic Tracphone for voice calls. I spend $20 every 3 months for 120 minutes and have a Magicjack on on the computer for $20 a year. Need I say more?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Not that most corporations aren't a pack of thieves, and not that it isn't the case here, but you failed to take into account that a text message, regardless of it being 1 byte or 200 bytes, requires a connection be made from sender to network to receiver. That includes satellites. If I were to price what really costs the money there, it would not be the division of a normal call into 100 million text message sized pieces, but rather the initiation and handshakes of the network connections and the load that has on their network when multiplied by 100 million people.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I read somewhere that AT&T was going to do something like this since they bought T-mobile.
This is such a monopoly!
Corporate Whores.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
Not that most corporations aren't a pack of thieves, and not that it isn't the case here, but you failed to take into account that a text message, regardless of it being 1 byte or 200 bytes, requires a connection be made from sender to network to receiver. That includes satellites. If I were to price what really costs the money there, it would not be the division of a normal call into 100 million text message sized pieces, but rather the initiation and handshakes of the network connections and the load that has on their network when multiplied by 100 million people.

Even with that being said, 20 cents per text is a rip off.
They are basically forcing people to spend $20 extra every bill.

XL5

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Just make an app that puts what you type into a picture and don't text. I don't ever plan on using a cell phone and never have so I don't really even know why any one would text when they can email. I'm sure there must be programs that can turn voice into text and text into Stephen Hawking, why not use that and call it texting?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a friend of mine has t mobile and he uses his cell to connect to the internet and download movies etc well he gets a call from the provider stating that they slowed down his connection speed for overuse why slow it down rather then up he pays his bill any answers thanks in advance

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by Observer99

Even with that being said, 20 cents per text is a rip off.
They are basically forcing people to spend $20 extra every bill.

Yep, it seems like a rip-off. But being disingenuous about the math isn't really helpful to that argument IMO.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Just one question, does AT&T really considers text messages as part of those 2 gigabytes of mobile data for $25?

Most cases I know, mobile data is not the same thing as calls or text messages.

PS: but as I don't even have a cell phone I do not really know about these things.

new topics

top topics

join