It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jeffersons Warning To America... Written In 1802

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have an old book, written in the 60's I think, entitled something along the lines of "Readings for a Liberal Education," or something like that, and it has a lot of Jefferson's personal letters. I have read them all, plus many online, and I am amazed at his understanding of the science of government.

He really was a genius, and some of what he wrote really blows me away. What he said regarding bribery, how people will only vote for A under the assumption that he will vote for B, etc...All of this has remained true to this day, which goes to show you that just because this was centuries ago does not mean that what was created was primitive by any means.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
How come this hasn't been labeled a hoax yet?

I pointed this out on the first page.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling
1) Americans are too stupid to understand what it means today

...stupid - no... programmed to not see the obvious is true of some - maybe many... regardless of which statement (the real one or the faux one) its was common knowledge over 200yrs ago that banks and corporations were out to screw people...

2) Americans are too lazy to do anything about it.

...considering where you live, your comment is hypocritical at best...

Bite me, you know its true.

...and immature...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Although the quote in mention was obviously edited at a later date, probably for aesthetic purposes, the essential message remains - Jefferson warning of the dangers of the banking institutions:

"I sincerely believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a money aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."

The earliest known appearance of this quote is from 1895 (Joshua Douglass, "Bimetallism and Currency", American Magazine of Civics, 7:256). It is apparently a combination of paraphrases or approximate quotations from three separate letters of Jefferson (longer excerpts in sourced section):

"I sincerely believe, with you, that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies..."
-Letter to John Taylor, 1816
"The bank mania...is raising up a moneyed aristocracy in our country which has already set the government at defiance..."
- Letter to Josephus B. Stuart, 1817
"Bank paper must be suppressed, and the circulating medium must be restored to the nation to whom it belongs."
- Letter to John W. Eppes, 1813

Wikiquote

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Definitely evidence of the fact that T.J thought corporations are people and should deserve constitutional
protection AND limited liability.

Go Supreme Court, Go!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

This is still a hoax, taking bits and pieces of letters written by him and turning it into a quote should be considered fraud.

This is a hoax, Thomas Jefferson never said anything like the OP's quote claims.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
This is still a hoax, taking bits and pieces of letters written by him and turning it into a quote should be considered fraud.

You're perhaps overreacting slightly. This is hardly the Surgeon’s Photo (Loch Ness) or the infamous Alien Autopsy footage. This is somebody piecing together three legitimate quotes to create a coherent, aesthetically pleasing, meaning. That being, banks = bad.

This is a hoax, Thomas Jefferson never said anything like the OP's quote claims.

Really?

"I sincerely believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a money aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."

"I sincerely believe, with you, that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies. The bank mania...is raising up a moneyed aristocracy in our country which has already set the government at defiance. Bank paper must be suppressed, and the circulating medium must be restored to the nation to whom it belongs."

They look pretty similar to me.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Really?

Yes. Did you even read the original quote in the OP?

They look pretty similar to me.

All those quotes are from three different letters addressed to three different people, and most likely taken completely out of context. This is still a hoax thread.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Did you even read the original quote in the OP?

I did, and yes, they are very similar, identical almost.

I agree with you about the context though. I would have to analyse what context each sentence was used in before I risked using them towards a particular cause.

Still, even if you take each sentence as it is, it is plausible to come to certain conclusions about Jefferson's philosophy.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Whether he said it or not, along this train of thought...woodrow Wilson did say, after creating The Federal reserve, "I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men".
~ Woodrow Wilson

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whyshouldI trustyou2619

That is also a fake quote.

Wikiquote

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by blocula

This thread is completely pointless, since the quote attributed to Thomas Jefferson in the OP is a well known fake.

The use of the terms inflation and deflation are dead giveaways.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)
NICE TRY rockdisjoint>>>YOUR WRONG
edit on 19-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Nope, I'm not. rydizz just posted an great article proving what I said.

www.snopes.com...
en.wikiquote.org... its right here what he actually said on may 28th 1816 en.wikiquote.org...
people, just keep on pulling that heavy load for the rich and beautiful ones, some day you will reach the carrot they hang in front of you...or die trying

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I have an old book, written in the 60's I think, entitled something along the lines of "Readings for a Liberal Education," or something like that, and it has a lot of Jefferson's personal letters. I have read them all, plus many online, and I am amazed at his understanding of the science of government.

He really was a genius, and some of what he wrote really blows me away. What he said regarding bribery, how people will only vote for A under the assumption that he will vote for B, etc...All of this has remained true to this day, which goes to show you that just because this was centuries ago does not mean that what was created was primitive by any means.
well said ...thanx

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whyshouldI trustyou2619

..."unwittingly"?...
...only in his psychopathic delusions... woodrow knew exactly how bad he was screwing the citizens of the usofa... the only slack he'll get from me is that he was probably a puppet - but - being a willing scum-sucker doesnt make you any better than the scum you're servicing, so thats not much slack afforded to ol woody...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
what would thomas jefferson think and say if he could be shown todays society,like bring him into new york city or the sunset strip on a friday evening in the summer ?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

He'd probably be looking for the next boat ride BACK to England!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ctdannyd
reply to post by blocula

He'd probably be looking for the next boat ride BACK to England!
hahaha...and maybe he'd say "my god! what have we done!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

hmm... no? I registered 4 months before you and have had this avatar since then.

So it seems that YOU are the avatar-thief! hee hee. J/k. This gif is easily found on the web. Can't exactly steal something that is available online.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join