It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash Mob Fear growing for retail chains?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
To give a little background. I am a department manager for one of the biggest grocery store chains in the United States. Every Tuesday we have department head meetings. Where we watch video about whats going on for the next sales week from our district cordinators and some times our zone President. Then we go over the information and a bunch of other "exciting" things. Well this past department head meeting was a little more interesting

We spend 30 extra minutes going over flash mobs and what to do in case of one. Apparently the company is not only alarmed but expect flash mobs being organized at our stores 30-60 people running in at once to steal stuff and run out. They our preparing all of our stores which are over 3000 to be ready for the upcoming mobs. They told us if any of us see 20-30 people show up at our stores at once to lock the doors and "don't even call the police department call 9-11 just to be on the safe side"

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
My theory is as a company we are expecting a lot of hungry people to begin to come together for survival and start running in and stealing food and goods. The company I work for is all about profit and we have gained even more on our competitors during the recession
edit on 18-8-2011 by 1hope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I could certainly see a good reason for alarm on their part. But a giant alarm now to me. just a law abiding citizen.

I do hope they mention locking those doors from the outside after clearing the store of normal customers and employees?
I wouldn`t take kindly to be locked in there with them. I just know how large gatherings like that go and lets say it isn't good.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
I could certainly see a good reason for alarm on their part. But a giant alarm now to me. just a law abiding citizen.

I do hope they mention locking those doors from the outside after clearing the store of normal customers and employees?
I wouldn`t take kindly to be locked in there with them. I just know how large gatherings like that go and lets say it isn't good.

We are supposed to be a "customer first" company. But we are profit first. They told us to immediately lock the doors. At that point they are more worried about losing money due to theft then they are about the employees or customers in the store at that point.

link   
Why did they say don't call police? That doesn't make sense, if they are going to rob you wouldn't you want the police there to protect your property?

link   
Good luck with that whole "locking them in" strategy.

Expect violence. Expect objects to be thrown through windows. Expect fires to be set.

Expect you'll be unlocking the doors pretty quickly.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think he meant dont call the police station directly (most stores will) and instead call the emergency line (911)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Why did they say don't call police? That doesn't make sense, if they are going to rob you wouldn't you want the police there to protect your property?

what they meant by that was don't call the police department immediately call 9-11

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just a word of advice to people who "may" be on ATS that would participate in a flash mob.

I am concerned where this is going with the flash mobs and believe it is going to get more and more violent as it goes on.

Like hundreds of thousands of Americans I carry a concealed weapon and will kill anybody to protect my life or the life of a family member. I will also protect any innocent bystander that gets attacked.

Just remember that in the heat of the moment when one of these mobs are happening that it could escalate into a situation where it could cost you or another their life.

I would not hesitate to defend myself niether would many others.

It's a shame it's coming to this............

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by area6
Good luck with that whole "locking them in" strategy.

Expect violence. Expect objects to be thrown through windows. Expect fires to be set.

Expect you'll be unlocking the doors pretty quickly.

Dont tell me that Im no sheep. I will be going out the emergency exit lol

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hope its not a texas walmart, we just got the guns back in inventory....

Not a good strategy. Kinda gives me a squiggly.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1hope

what they meant by that was don't call the police department immediately call 9-11

Wait what? I really dont understand what you said.. calling 911 and calling the police is the same thing.. Although some towns differ on response times than others..(personal exp from calling 911 cause of 2 car accidents one in the city and 1 in the middle of nowhere.)

But i still dont understand, if you are in a city and you call 911 most police will be there between 3 and 20 minutes.. if you live in the middle of nowhere then you wait varies from hick town to hick town...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 1hope

I think there is every reason to worry.....I have read about many (flash mob robberies) happening on the East Coast and in Canada. I live in the Pacific Northwest...and I really feel it is just a matter of time...before they start here. I hope that you and your fellow workers never experience one.......it is a good thing to have a plan in case you do though.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yep, get ready for a facial recognition scanner pod, coming to a store near you.

2nd time I tried, to come up with a second line.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1hope

Wait what? I really dont understand what you said.. calling 911 and calling the police is the same thing.. Although some towns differ on response times than others..(personal exp from calling 911 cause of 2 car accidents one in the city and 1 in the middle of nowhere.)

But i still dont understand, if you are in a city and you call 911 most police will be there between 3 and 20 minutes.. if you live in the middle of nowhere then you wait varies from hick town to hick town...

911 is supposed to be for emergency calls only. If you call a police station you get a receptionist which are usually gone by 4 pm. Usually when we apprehend someone stealing we call the police department because it is not an emergency. But in the case of a flash mob it would definitely be 9-11 worthy

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
Hope its not a texas walmart, we just got the guns back in inventory....

Not a good strategy. Kinda gives me a squiggly.

I don't want to say what company it is. It's not Walmart though it is a grocery store chain. I live in the midwest also..Ohio to be exact.
edit on 18-8-2011 by 1hope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Yea, I understand. I'm never allowed to say what corporation owns me either. I'm not supposed to have an opinion on gmo or biofuel if ya know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
flash mob attack

and so it has begun

top topics

join