It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cost of Fukushima clean up? 800 trillion yen (about 10 trillion $US)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I bet the Japanese government will do the right thing and spend what is necessary to clean up the mess uh? Or you know, they could spend a few billion instead to cover it up...

Dr. Kodama: Tokyo radiation “continuously high” since raining on March 21

[Dr. Tatsuhiko Kodama, a professor at the Research Centre for Advanced Science and Technology and Director of the University of Tokyo's Radioisotope Centre] believes things are far worse than even the recent detection of extremely high radiation levels at the plant. [...]

Kodama, who is also a doctor of internal medicine, has been working on decontamination of radioactive materials at radiation facilities in hospitals of the University of Tokyo for the past several decades. [...]

Kodama is an expert in internal exposure to radiation, and is concerned that the government has not implemented a strong response geared towards measuring radioactivity in food. [...]

According to Kodama, the major problem caused by internal radiation exposure is the generation of cancer cells as the radiation causes unnatural cellular mutation. [...]

Kodama believes the government needs to begin a large-scale response in order to begin decontaminating affected areas. He cited Japan’s itai itai disease, when cadmium poisoning from mining resulted in the government eventually having to spend 800 billion yen to decontaminate an area of 1,500 hectares.

“How much cost will be needed if the area is 1,000 times larger?”

1000 times X 800 billion yen = 800 trillion yen... /76yen/1$US = 10.52 trillion $US...

But no way in hell the Japanese government will spend what is necessary, even if the true cost is half of that... they will spend only the strict minimum to cover it up, just like they've been doing since it started.

Also... thing is... to start cleaning up, you have to stop the source of the radiation before then... which is a long way off.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wait a second...isn't Japan over and done with? I thought the disaster was over. I don't hear anything about it in the news! S & F for letting me know.
I can't believe how quickly this is being "forgotten". Way worse than Chernobyl...but, let's not discuss it right? Yikes.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Is this sarcasm or??

All that is normal...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

if i were a betting man,
i might have some money on Halliburton, or a subsidiary getting the contract...

and the black hole in that budget will be almost as big as the hole under Fukunshtme

seeya

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Fukushima, the story that keeps on giving . . .
10 trillion, and everything is fine? I wish it were that simple, and all it would take is writing a check to solve this problem. As far as I am concerned, it would be of little use. Simply throwing money at the problem will not take away the radiation that has contaminated the countryside, fresh water, and the food supply.

Lets say they can safely remove all the waste? Where are they going to store it at? Chances are there will be trace levels of deadly radiation left behind. We are talking about tons upon tons of earth, debris, and a heck of a lot contaminated water as well. This is a no win scenario. That reactor sight is still out of control. Worst industrial disaster in human history, and we are far from experiencing any relief from the doom and gloom associated with this. Putting a dollar sign to this does not do anything for me, and any amount is rather trivial. Still an interesting article, about one of the biggest news events in human history going the way of the dodo bird. Thanks for the heads-up!
edit on 18-8-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by superman2012

Is this sarcasm or??

All that is normal...

Yes sorry...extreme sarcasm. I just can't believe that everyone isn't up in arms about it...but oh well, at least the new season of Big Brother is on right? I mean, can you do any better than Rachel's boobs?

new topics

top topics

join