It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I said 'no' to cops searching my car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Got stopped.. you know how it goes.. after "papers please" it was "got anything to hide".. mind if I look around?"

Being retired from "the force", so to speak, I knew I could decline.. but wanted to be original about it, saying "no" is stale, plays into their hand of putting you on the defensive; "what have you got to hide?"

"Mind if I look around?", he said.. so I glanced into my rear seat and replied:

"Thanks officer, but I don't need the police patrolling my back seat.. I'm confident I'm safe"

A bit confused, he sputtered out the standard mantra of "something you don't want me to see?"

"No sir, its not like that, I call Dominos when I want pizza, the police when I want a cop.. .I don't need the police right now". He tried a few more times, "are you saying no?".. my response was the same: "I don't need the police right now".

After barking a few lofty threats of search warrants and drug dogs, he finally gave up.. told me to signal next time, then drove away.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

"I call Dominos when I want pizza, the police when I want a cop.. .I don't need the police right now"

I love that, I am going to steal it

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Domino's...really?

Worst Pizza Ever....just saying...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The cops don't need search warrants to search a car. If you have already been pulled over for an infraction, then they can legally search your car if they think you are hiding something illegal.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

What a great way to decline a search
Star and flagged!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Good tips on the subject at copblock.org. probably some good ones on ats as well, but more difficult to find. Just tell them no without being a douche about it, and get ready to burn half a day.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hippo45
The cops don't need search warrants to search a car. If you have already been pulled over for an infraction, then they can legally search your car if they think you are hiding something illegal.

If that was the case, why do you suppose they have to ask for your permission?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Interesting.

I was pulled over once, and when asked to search my vehicle I declined. He retorted with 'Usually people that decline have something to hide.' I calmly insisted I was not attempting to hide anything, but that it was my right to decline, giving him no reason to search. He said no problem, sit tight, and 15 minutes later a K-9 unit pulled up with a 2nd officer who told me to step out of my car to allow their dog to sniff. I explained to him I declined a search and he then said that was no longer an option, I either accept a search or I can go to jail.

They searched, and found nothing, and I was let go but I felt violated.

Is it just in the wording that allows you to successfully decline?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hippo45

This is so far from the truth it's funny. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked by the police to search my car. But I can tell you how many times they have.... a big fat 0.

Awesome way to decline a search OP.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

I'll bet you look respectable.

Most people would of been immediately tazed.

I like your response though...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hippo45

Thinking isn't enough. They need probable cause.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Yea!!! Stick it to the man. We live in a POLICE STATE, POLICE STATE, POLICE STATE!!!!

Wait a minute...

A police officer asked you for consent to search your vehicle, you said no and he didnt search your vehicle and allowed you to leave?

Maybe we dont live in the police state that everyone screams whenever a thread is generated about the police.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Haha, great story man. more people need to stick up to the cops like you.

btw, we're you holdin?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
so, a cop was tring to do his job, and you where a bit of a jerk?
cool story bro.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hippo45

Police can not legally search your car if they think you are hiding something illegal. They need to have probable cause or must articulate that you were making a "furative movement" which would necessitate a "pat down" of the vehicle for officer safety.

If a police officer has probable cause to search the vehicle during a traffic stop, they do not need a search warrant because the vehicle can simply be driven away creating an exigent circumstance.

If a police officer pulls you over and observes you stuffing something under the seat or some other circumstance and can articulate it, that would constitute a "furative movement." The reason this is allowed is because the thing you could be hiding so quickly could be a gun. As a precaution, the officer must ensure that you do not have a handgun under your seat to conduct a safe traffic stop.

So no, the police can not just search your car if they "think" you are hiding something illegal.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

And those with half a conscious will maybe get the drift of the conversation and mind their manners, which is to not automatically intend on infringing on your normal rights without DUE cause.

FAILING TO SIGNAL, A LIGHT OUT, SPEEDING, OR EVEN RUNNING A STOP SIGH IS NOT DUE CAUSE!

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
so, a cop was tring to do his job, and you where a bit of a jerk?
cool story bro.

wow. someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
Maybe we dont live in the police state that everyone screams whenever a thread is generated about the police.

Or maybe the OP is complete BS

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I've heard that you should ask the officer what he is searching for. They must state what they are searching for. If during the search something is found in your vehicle that is not one of the items stated by the officer that item can not be use against you. Is that true? Next just a thought. Why does a law enforcement officer need to search you vehicle if you are pulled over for a common traffic offense AND your not tested or told you are suspected of drug or alchol impairment? I personally would be suspect of the officers intentions. Police officers are just humans being with all the quirks, prejudices and weaknesses of other people and we all have heard the stories. Who knows you might look like the guy who cheated with his wife, screwed around with his daughter or cut him off in traffic last week. Or I'm my case he may find someone elses dope or half empty pint left in the crack of the seat before I bought the car. (i used to buy and sell alot of $100 specials) I know one thing. An officer won't come out of your vehicle with a million dollar lotto ticket, $20 gold piece or other great reward.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Hippo.

NO that’s incorrect. Police need probable cause to search your car not reasonable suspicion.

Without probable cause a police officer will ask to search your car. IF YOU AGREE then it is called a CONSENT SEARCH..

Simple rule if you are requested to have your car searched JUST SAY NO!

This is called a fishing expedition. A police officer can only search your car if he/she sees something that is illegal such as a marijuana seed, a joint, an open bottle of beer etc etc. And the police officer can only search the area of the car what is called "wing span" meaning areas of the car that you the driver can reach. Locked compartments such as the glove compartments and the trunk are the only area that is off limits to a police officer unless he/she obtains a search warrant..

For more information look up State V Robinette. I can explain this further if needed.

This is one area that I am very well versed. Trust me.

The OP did very very well with his responce.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join