It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am legitimately concerned about how it may affect some if nothing happens.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Good thread, i have been pondering this question myself also.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

The thing is, i would never have dreamt of this much mainstream recognition about this 2012 thing some 4 years ago when i first started to get interested in "conspiracy stuff". The way all conspiracy related things have hyped up in 2011 alone is astonishing.

And if and when nothing happens on 2012, its like the rug has been pulled away from under our feet. I have trouble picturing what it will be like. Even more i have trouble picturing what it would be like if any of the big conspiracies come true.
edit on 21-8-2011 by varikonniemi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kicking2bears

This is absolutely true (at least in my opinion.) But my fear is that there will be a small number of people who experience a truly devastating degree of disillusionment. It could be likened to the psychological impact of the loss of religious faith. For some, it's a liberating transformation. For others, it's just a neutral experience that isn't elevating or deflating. But for at least a few, it can be devastating, particularly if they feel they have no alternative.

I feel you are correct in that the key lies in finding reasons to have hope, though. I would like to think people can help one another in that regard should they experience that kind of disillusionment or depression. That's ultimately exactly what I'm getting at, I guess.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

You are treating it like a disease. In the case nothing happens people won't freak out. Religious disillusionement is already everywhere, 2012 failure wouldn't change it.
People in real life don't think to 2012 that much.
In the case something actually happens, the skeptics would be more in trouble in coming to terms with their own skeptical opinions that may be shown to be wrong.
The only thing we can do is living everyday and one day will be that day and we will see if something actually happens.
But no disease will be born out of it.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

well lets see here,on the broad spectrum Ats has a small audience. An even smaller group think something could happen. Smaller still is the group that believe something will happen. From there an even smaller group that believe that something will happen and making life changing decisions because of beliefs. There are a few from that group who have already taken action. Some of those are rich elite people that can afford to buy condo silo's. Those may actually benefit either from use or from future sale of them.
Question is if something goes down will you be prepared?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

With respect, you're referring to pseudo-skepticism, not skepticism. A skeptic cannot say, "nothing will happen." That isn't a skeptical statement, and as a skeptic, I've never made such a statement. A skeptic can only say, "I have neither proof that something will happen, nor proof that nothing will happen." That's a skeptical statement, and a statement I have made.

I have never characterized belief as a disease, nor would I treat it as a disease. Belief can be a very positive, constructive thing generally speaking, in my personal opinion and in my personal experience. I have my own beliefs (although I deliberately distinguish them from things I know or consider factual, and do not assert them to be true beyond the realm of belief.) But there are those who have publicly stated that literally all their hopes for the future rest with these predictions, and that they would be devastated if nothing comes to pass. (Their words, not mine.) Hence my concern expressed in this topic.

reply to post by mikeybiznaz

I agree. As I said, my concern is only for an exceedingly small percentage of people. But for those few, I am deeply concerned based on some statements I've seen on ATS and elsewhere. I'm just being honest.

As to your question, as a skeptical person, I will accept events as they unfold, whether that means something happens or it doesn't happen. My financial and material situation precludes the kinds of preparations you may be alluding to, but I do live in an earthquake prone area and so I maintain a certain level of preparedness at least (water, food, tents, clothing, first aid, batteries, flashlights, and a very small amount of emergency funds.)
edit on 8/22/2011 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join