It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What cow is best for producing milk?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
you can buy milk in your local shop.

Huh??
did you really just say that?
.I think it may be a SHTF issue

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You can also jump your cow if you are silly enough.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That would be a female cow my friend.
Ever tried milking a bull?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I grew up on a dairy farm and studied dairy herd management at USU. We milked Jerseys, they are by far the best breed for milk (and meat). Compared to a Holstein they are much smaller, smarter, and eat much less. Holsteins will just push you around with a blank look on their faces lol. Jerseys have better feet (you do need to trim their hooves). They have better udders, holsteins produce so much milk it weighs down their udders and stretches out the tendon that holds the udder up in the middle, if it does that her udder will drag on the ground. If you get a calf watch for scours, it is cause by many microbes like salmonilla (not fun to get, trust me) You MUST be watchful of mastitis, if you don't keep a eye out for it you more than likely will have a dead cow on your hands. If she does get mastitis you need to give her antibiotics (we also gave pain killers). You must throw the milk away when you give antibiotics. Also when a jersey calves she needs to get calcium either I.V. or orally, if not she will more then likely die (all other breeds do, but jerseys more so). Jerseys do produce more than a gallon of milk a day, if you want less than that they do come in a miniature. The milk has a much higher fat and protein content than other breeds so you can make lots of butter and such. In order for a cow to produce milk, she has to be bred yearly. Either you can find a bull that isn't too big (if he is big he will hurt her when he mounts), learn to A.I. or find someone that knows how.
Also be aware that jersey bulls are MEAN. I have been treed many times, and smashed into cement walls by those buggers.
Anyways, if you have any more questions feel free to contact me.
edit on 20/8/11 by sk8erchick because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sk8erchick

Great info! thank you!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
ime, holsteins produce the most volume,

gurnseys the most fat percentage,

and jerseys, they are skinnier, browner, and cuter-faced than the above too

new topics

top topics