It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something struck me as odd...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
First off, hi everyone! I have been peruzing the forums for a long time now, but never really had a reason to join a discussion or start a topic. I really like researching aliens/ufos and have even seen a couple weird things myself. (nothing earth shattering, just strange lights or objects in the sky that just didn't seem to belong)

So... back to the reason I joined. I was watching Ancient Aliens this evening and it was an episode where they showed the egg eating snake mound in Ohio. It struck me as odd that native americans would have chosen this particular snake, I'm from this general area and the only snakes I have seen are your basic garter. So I decided to google egg eating snakes and the only ones I found were from either Africa or India. Shouldn't it be kind of a big red flag that a group of native americans in the mid west are depicting a snake that doesn't even exist on the continent, or have I missed a species in north america?

Anyway, thanks for any insite and I look forward to hopefully joining in some discussions here at ATS!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Someone must of brought it to this continent and that's why it was mentioned and welcome to ATS my friend

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hi and welcome

hope you enjoy your stay here at ATS

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Thank you, glad to be here! That is sort of what I was wondering as well. Possibly as a pet or something. The only issue I found is that on a few pages about egg eating snakes, I found that they are notoriously hard to care for and some sellers even give a syringe to force feed the poor snake because they refuse to eat in captivity.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, a long time ago humans walked along the land bridge and were probably fascinated by the snake, and probably worshiped it. As they made there trek over here they more than likely told stories about it and generations later decided to depict it.

That's my theory.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hello and Welcome to ATS
20 posts will come quickly and you can start a Thread
Again welcome to the Jungle we call ATS

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hi and thanks! I think this jungle is just where i belong. ;p It would be nice to be able to discuss some of these topics without people rolling eyes or looking at me like I'm crazy! ;p

That's a good point Rich, I guess I didn't even think of that. That would have been the last place they would have been before moving up through Asia and over the bridge.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Hello,

Welcome to the jungle known as ATS

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
There's several snakes in America that will eat eggs, they're just not called egg eaters because that's not all they eat. It's common to kill snakes that won't stay out the chikcken coop.

www.snakes-uncovered.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Ha! Thanks! I guess I just wasn't searching with the right phrase. The garter snake itself even eats eggs. Well there goes that theory. ;p

Still looking forward to other alien related topics though!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aetherNine

Salutations and welcome.

After a quick google search I am guessing you are referencing The Great Serpent Mound of Ohio.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51cb2e50f01f.jpg[/atsimg]

The Great Serpent Mound is a 1,330-foot (410 m)-long, three-foot-high prehistoric effigy mound located on a plateau of the Serpent Mound crater along Ohio Brush Creek in Adams County, Ohio. Maintained within a park by the Ohio Historical Society, it has been designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior. The Serpent Mound of Ohio was first reported from surveys by Ephraim Squire and Edwin Davis in their historic volume Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley, published in 1848 by the newly founded Smithsonian Museum.

There is also a Alligator Effigy Mound in Ohio

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cae82126c997.jpg[/atsimg]

The Alligator Effigy Mound is a nationally recognized historic site in Granville, Ohio, United States. A prehistoric earthwork, the mound was likely built between AD 800 and 1200 by the Fort Ancient culture. An archaeological investigation of the mound conducted by Brad Lepper and Frolking in 1999 recovered a piece of charcoal from the base of the mound. The charcoal was radiometrically dated to 1,000 years BP (about 950 CE). The mound was not used as burial mound but likely as a ceremonial site. Alligator Mound is one of two known effigy mounds located in the state of Ohio, the other one being Serpent Mound in Adams County, Ohio

as well as another Great Serpent Mound of Florida.

Two serpent mounds – nine hundred miles apart

Most readers can probably remember some Native American archaeological site called the “Great Serpent Mound” of Ohio. Most likely, people, who grew up in Ohio, fondly remember it as a destination on a school-sponsored “Ohio History” trip. Have you even heard of the Great Serpent Mound of Florida? Probably you have not!

Great stuff although I don't think that I would get too freaked out believing the egg eating snake had to have come from Africa or Asia.

First off, it would seem that the jury is still out amongst the archaeologists as to whether the snake is eating an egg in the first place...

The serpent head has an open mouth extending around the east end of a 120-foot-long hollow oval feature. Scholars posit that the oval feature symbolizes an egg, the sun, the body of a frog, or merely the remnant of a platform.

Some believe it may be a depiction of a rattlesnake which would rule out the egg/oval theory as rattlesnakes cannot process eggs...

The rattlesnake is significant as a symbol in the Mississippian culture, which would help explain the image of the mound. But there is no sign or indication of a rattle.

Serpent Mound

Regardless, Giorgio Tsoukalos' wacky idea's aside, many species of snakes are known to eat eggs besides the African Dasypeltis and Indian Egg-eater some of which are coincidently indigenous to Ohio.

Surprisingly, Ohio seems to host a large variety of snakes...

Venomous/Nonvenomous Snakes
Brown snake, midland
Copperhead, northern
Fox snake, eastern
Garter snake, Butler's
Garter snake, eastern
Garter snake, eastern plains
Green snake, eastern & western smooth
Green snake, rough
Hog-nosed snake, eastern
Kingsnake, black
Kirtland's snake
Massasauga, eastern
Milk snake, eastern
Queen snake
Racers, black and blue
Rat snake, black
Rattlesnake, timber
Red-bellied snake, northern
Ribbon snake, eastern
Ring-necked snake, northern
Smooth earth snake, eastern
Water snake, copperbelly
Water snake, Lake Erie
Water snake, northern
Worm snake, eastern & midwest

Ohio's Reptiles

Of these, the Eastern fox snake, all four species of Garter snakes, Eastern Hog-nosed Snake, Kingsnake,Eastern Milksnake,Northern Black Racer andBlack Ratsnake have all been observed eating bird eggs.

I hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Hello and welcome from another newbie/serial lurker

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ha, yup I'm pretty good at stalking in the shadows. ;p And thanks drunkenparrot, that's what I get for believing that show, usually I take everything they say with a grain of salt, but the combiniation of it kinda looking like that and the speaker calling it that, I took it as fact. I didn't realize there were others though, thats pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
There are snakes in that area that eat eggs. Have you ever heard of chicken snakes? Or rat snakes? Those are just two examples of egg-eating snakes. Living in Tx, where we have every venomous snake in NA, I have seen a lot of snakes, and having chickens, I have seen a lot of snakes attempting to eat the eggs. They're all over NA.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
hiya and welcome to ATS

Another option that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that animals do go extinct for one reason or another and not all will leave evidence behind so its always possible in cases like this that the animal concerned is simply no longer living.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Maybe it wasn't meant to represent an egg-eating snake at all. Sperm cell, anyone???

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Snake worship isn't anything unusual. Even though in the Bible the snake is vilified in Genesis by the time of Moses a bronze snake was made and lifted up on a pole to cure snake bites. Eventually the Hebrews started worshiping it and it was destroyed because it became an idol.

There is also the Nagas in Hinduism and Buddhism. Vishnu is protected by Shesha on the cosmic ocean and a naga protected the Buddha while in meditation.

All ancient cultures had some form of snake reverence or worship.
edit on 21-8-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join