It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New DHS rules cancel deportations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Can we say pandering?

The Homeland Security Department said Thursday it will halt deportation proceedings on a case-by-case basis against illegal immigrants who meet certain criteria such as attending school, having family in the military or are primarily responsible for other family members’ care.

The move, announced in letters to Congress, won immediate praise from Hispanic activists and Democrats who had chided President Obama for months for the pace of deportations and had argued he had authority to exempt broad swaths of illegal immigrants from deportation.

“Today’s announcement shows that this president is willing to put muscle behind his words and to use his power to intervene when the lives of good people are being ruined by bad laws,” said Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez, Illinois Democrat.

Someone is desperate for a distraction and to shore up his numbers but did this move blow his load early?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Not a bad move, but it sure would have been a better move if it carried some type of long-term plan like getting them legalized and paying taxes!!

You can't just toss out a solution and pat yourself on the back, you have to make it work in the long run.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Source

Calling it “the reality of politics,” the California congresswoman said, “If we go after the president, you’re going after us.”

“We don’t put pressure on the president because you all love the president. You are very proud to have a black man, first time in the history of the United States of America.

“When you tell us it’s all right and you unleash us and you tell us you are ready for us to have this conversation, we’re ready to have the conversation.

Perhaps his administration is doing this with illegals so that he can keep a new voting block when Blacks wake up and realize that this President does not give a crap about them until election time rolls around. He could care less about the issues facing blacks and why is that? Because 95% voted for him and 90%+ will vote for him again, they are going nowhere so why worry about them?

Now that the white vote for him has virtually collapsed and blacks are beginning to at least question his motives, he has to turn towards Hispanics to add more people to his voting bloc, who cares if they are legal or not! He must win one more term! Poor legal hard working Americans be damned!

His only requirement is that you are not a drug peddler or a murderer, everything else is okay. They will get you a work permit and send you down to get your party registration. Anyone else notice that this is exactly what the Tammany Hall political machine did with the Irish Catholics who came here illegally? Vote Tammany and we do not care about anything else.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Of all of the many blogs I've read so far regarding Obama cancelling deportations, there seems to be an overwhelming call for his impeachment. The president isn't allowed to 'pick and choose' which laws he will uphold and which ones he will ignore or break.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

This administration is driving me nuts. They failed to get immigration reform passed, so they back door it by using DHS and procedures.

I give it a few days before Congress smacks them back down and says no.

I would like to see the people behind this removed from office for failing to carry out their duties, which is to enforce immigration laws, instead of trying to back door loopholes. It torques me off to no end that they are more concerned with representing interests of foreign nationals over their own citizens.

Im all for impeaching / recalling / removing all members of government from office.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by SirMike

Congress? They're not due back until mid-September. By then, there'll be a sh*t ton more to stew on about.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by SirMike

Congress? They're not due back until mid-September. By then, there'll be a sh*t ton more to stew on about.

....and if Obama knew what leadership was, he would put Congress back in session and get the crap fixed. Im done with the blame game on all sides. Either they need to do their jobs, or the American people need to throw them out of office.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
On Drudge it says the hispanics warned obama about their support in the 2012 election, so this was obama's answer to pander for hispanic votes and to shore up his re-election chances. That's obviously ALL obama cares about - getting re-elected.

source

Immigrant rights activists protested in several cities across the country this week against Obama's policies on deportation, warning they could cost him votes from the Hispanic community when he runs for reelection in 2012.

Thing I don't get is why legal hispanics are in favor of giving all this to people who didn't play by the rules.

At any rate, if not the first here, let me be the first and call this treason on obama's part for failing to uphold and defend against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Let the congressional hearings begin!

edit on 8/19/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

On Drudge it says the hispanics warned obama about their support in the 2012 election

No offense to you (maybe to Drudge though), but these types of statements always crack me up!

So, the "Hispanics" had a conference call? They talked it out and decided their group would send a warning to Obama via some elected official? I would have loved to have been on that call with those 20 million Hispanics talking through that one.

I wonder when the blacks have their next meeting? Or the Irish? Or the Rednecks? I happen to know when the next little Tea Party meeting is, and I plan to be at that one!

It is just so funny to assume some self-appointed spokesperson actually represents any type of consensus from a group as large as "the Hispanics." It is a ridiculous notion. The group is splintered and re-splintered and re-re-splintered.

I have a good friend that is black, Southern, and works for the State Government, but he is going to be an RNC delegate! Nobody can say "Blacks support Obama," or "Blacks vote Democratic" or "Southerners vote Democratic" or "Government Workers support Big Government." All of those sayings are false, as evidenced by just one simple friend of mine!

I hate blanket statements.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This sucks.. i called ICE about 3 weeks ago, regarding illegals the company i work for hired,a nd have made life HELL for me at work. they have gone up in promotion. its for a pharmacutical retail company in the southwest of CT. guy i spoke too, was peurto rican, and seemd kinda layed back..said hed send somone next chance they get. board of labor dosnt want anything to do with illegals. gave me a feeling he totaly neglected my call. illegals get special treatment, treat otehrs liek crap at work, LEGAL citizens, and now get special protection. i am starting to belive, obama is an illegal himself.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Say what you will, but it is hardly difficult to see that obama is far more interested in his re-election and the fun parts of being president than he is in solving the problems facing this country.

Not difficult under those circumstances to link a warning from a significant voting block to an action taken right after that warning. and history tells us that democrat = panderer to myriad special interests, especially during election cycles.

And please tell me that you are not so naive as to think if ALL hispanics were not on the warning call that obama wouldn't be paying attention. Please ...

edit on 8/19/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

No, I'm just concerned that a small sampling of people, whether it be through polls, or through elected officials, is supposed to represent the entire demographic.

I know plenty of Hispanics that are strictly against naturalization. I know plenty of Hispanics that are actually very Conservative in their political leanings.

You are right about Obama and the Democrats. They are professional panderers, and they have no desire to lead the nation, their only desire is to stay popular enough to stay in power. The Republicans are not much better!

new topics

top topics

join