It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher suspended from the job for expressing dislike to gays on facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
www.cfnews13.com...

That school district is messed up
They invest millions recently for a school that replaces textbooks with Ipads and many other transitions to electronics
and they are now so short on money for structure upgrades to a 40 year old elementary school that they cancel them and also forbid buses to pick up students within a 2 mile radius of the schools.
Yet they can waste money for an investigation on a nonthreatening comment on social media

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nogard2012

Yep, it's the future..electronics and no tolerance towards bigotry..I like it!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
where is the right to free speech?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I don't know what teachers expect when they say things like this online. It's not like he said it here where he has a fake name. On your facebook where it can easily be found who said what, you can't say things like he did and not expect some sort of backlash.

I agree it's stupid. I agree that it was rather harmless. He didn't say anything overtly hateful. It's just the time we live in.

The place I work at, during orientation, they said if we say anything bad on facebook/twitter and someone can link us to the company, our job could be in trouble. It's all about image.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

Free speech does not mean you don't have to answer for what you say.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

A darn good reason to stay off Facebook!

Anyone who uses their own name on-line needs to be fired for being a complete idiot. Companies routinely troll for information about people on the web.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor

Yep, it's the future..electronics and no tolerance towards bigotry..I like it!

And yet all you liberals are falling over yourselves to be 'tolerant' to muslims, who execute gays.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewguy1987
reply to post by GLaDOS

Free speech does not mean you don't have to answer for what you say.

You must answer to BIG BROTHER. Big Brother is watching you.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nogard2012
www.cfnews13.com...

That school district is messed up
They invest millions recently for a school that replaces textbooks with Ipads and many other transitions to electronics
and they are now so short on money for structure upgrades to a 40 year old elementary school that they cancel them and also forbid buses to pick up students within a 2 mile radius of the schools.
Yet they can waste money for an investigation on a nonthreatening comment on social media

Well now isn't that just fascinating. He didn't have to say a thing about a specific student, students in general or even people of school age at all. He apparently just wouldn't go beyond acceptance and tolerance of the gay issues to enthusiastic embracing of it. Same sex marriage really upset him for New York, so he actually said something. Ooops.. What a silly man to think he could do that and not pay for it. It would seem these days, we just need to bite our tongues and remain silent or risk losing anything in life that can be taken for offending those who watch for political correctness everywhere.

When did Schools or anyone else assume the right to sanction or punish a citizen simply for what they say, totally unrelated to their work and having absolutely no connection to workplace equipment or time? Nice... We didn't have to have the Government swipe our free speech. Every other little entity from here to there are already hard at work doing it for them!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And the moral of the story (whatever the consequences for the teacher) is....:

Be careful what you post online. Be careful who can see it. In short... be careful. And don't forget to use the rubber, I mean proxy.

Anonymous rules - Facebook is an evil!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
C'mon, I wish the school would be stupid enough to actally terminate her: any lawyer with half brain will get her a few mills through the Labor Court by simply continuing her original post:
I'm watching the news, eating dinner, when the story about New York okaying same sex unions came on and I almost threw up. ... because there was a hair in it.
Why didn't she post it?
Because she did threw up!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This makes me angrier than what she said.

So she has a weak stomach, big deal. Expressing a distaste towards gay marriage does not automatically make someone a "danger to gay students". That is ridiculous. She is entitled to her opinion, and facebook is a perfectly suitable medium for expressing opinions, as long as you're comfortable with sharing that opinion with every bloody person you know.

If she begins verbally abusing gay students in the classroom, by all means fire her. This zero tolerance for intolerance bull# makes me want to throw up.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The problem is not what the teacher said or where they said it. What you do off of work property on your own time should be your own business. EXCEPT, when it involves your customer base. Teachers should never have personal relationships with their students, this includes being friends with them on a social media site, unless they had an account specifically to give school related information to students. The teacher should not ever be punished for expressing his views in a personal and social domain. However, teachers should be punished for having social relationships with their students.

PS. I am absolutely FOR gay marriage, I say this in case anyone believes that this post is biased

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
FB is a personal page, what a person does outside of work on THEIR OWN PERSONAL TIME should have NO bearing on their work.... period!!

This kind of thing makes me sick to the stomach, we are supposed to be free idividuals and NOT adverts for companies or establishments.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

It's not a teacher's role to condemn lifestyles that may or may not comply with their own. This is especially true in high school where it is already difficult if you are a gay teen at a time when hormones and pressure to fit in complicate your life beyond the average heterosexual student.

As a teacher, it is a difficult line to walk, depending on the subject matter in the class room. Early on, I had instances where I back peddled from what I was saying because I realized I was heading down a path into areas of discussion that did not pertain to the subject matter. Though I fully believed what i was saying to be true, I realized that the forum is not necessarily for the open discussion of every topic.

Then again, I think that it is important for teachers, as adults, to set an example to students. I don't think we should coddle them and ignore complex issues. I also think that it's very difficult to know exactly where teaching ends and preaching begins. Nevertheless, derogatory comments such as what this teacher posted is unacceptable in a format such as facebook where his comments are accessible to his students (as the paper mentioned). I'm actually a fan of social media in the classroom. But as an educator, I believe that if a teacher has a social media site including students, it should be exclusively for use with students and not mixed.

A teacher would not go out to bars with students, so why would their social life be intertwined with the students on the internet? They need to be kept separate. If anything, to allow the teacher to also have their own lives.

This man is allowed to have his viewpoint, but when he is in a position of authority and respect, it is 100% inappropriate for such type of comments to be accessible to students and kept outside of the institution and within his peer group. Can you imagine if it were regarding people of a different ethnic background or religious belief system?

Bottom line, he should have known better. While I disagree with his comments, I think "knowing better" in this case has more to do with his allowing students access to his private life.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
This makes me angrier than what she said.

So she has a weak stomach, big deal. Expressing a distaste towards gay marriage does not automatically make someone a "danger to gay students". That is ridiculous. She is entitled to her opinion, and facebook is a perfectly suitable medium for expressing opinions, as long as you're comfortable with sharing that opinion with every bloody person you know.

If she begins verbally abusing gay students in the classroom, by all means fire her. This zero tolerance for intolerance bull# makes me want to throw up.

It's a danger to gay students because students who friended him (it's a male teacher...) on Facebook most likely have a respectful view of this teacher. On top of that, he holds a position of authority and power. His making a statement like that validates nascent viewpoints in those youth who saw his message, who are now receiving information on a topic not really discussed in school from a teacher without any background information to justify this transposed opinion.

In other words, he is respected by those students and they may take it upon themselves that his authority and opinion grants them carte blanche entitlement to role with it and carry it to a more extreme level, dehumanizing any gay (or assumed gay) students at the school.

It's not so much that anyone expects the teacher during school hours to treat his gay students more harshly or unfairly because of that (and he should be punished if that were the case). It's only due to his influence as a figure of respect and authority and the school district is very much justified in their decision.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota

It's not so much that anyone expects the teacher during school hours to treat his gay students more harshly or unfairly because of that (and he should be punished if that were the case). It's only due to his influence as a figure of respect and authority and the school district is very much justified in their decision.

No, it's about expecting the teacher to change his/her life and personal comments throughout the rest of his/her life to "cotton wool" a few students who may or may not be gay.

Pathetic.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Mister_Bit because: Forgot to write my reply lol

edit on 19-8-2011 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Oops! I thought I read "she" in the article somewhere while I was skimming it for the quote.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If the teacher does not like gays, big deal
what business is it of anyone else..

I'm sure they were tired of being hit on
edit on 19-8-2011 by drsin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if a teacher went to a church that was against things like gays, abortion. . . .

This would be in the public also, wouldn't it? I mean, a gay student or a student that might want an abortion someday might see that teacher go into the church.

Hmmmm.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join