It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm having an 80s flashback!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For a week or two now I can't stop listening to 80s music, especially whitesnake lol (once bitten twice shy), omd, aha, the cure (although they aren't bad) the clash (same goes) all the bands I hated back in the 80s and up to now, but I found myself enjoying them while I've been cleaning and what not around the house... I'm addicted....Worst of all and I hate to even say it but michael bolton and eddie money...I hate those guys but they each have one song each i'm playing into the ground... I don't know whats come over me... I just thought i'd share, any of you find yourself listening to music that you hated for a very long time and then find yourself enjoying?? My husband won't stop making fun of me either, so I just find myself turning it up even more and he walks around the house whining about it... i'm going to go back to listening to whitesnake
:shk: Wanders off wondering *what the hell happened to me*

Edit: I'm about a 5 minute bus ride away from giving myself a cowlick...

[Edited on 19-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ahhhh yes... the 80's.

I love it.

I'm currently working on compiling my list of my favorite 100 songs. Most are from the 70's and 80's.

what Eddie Money song are you listening to ?

Some of my fav 80s are :

Cars - Gary Numan
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
Take Me WIth You - Prince
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Every Breath You Take - The Police
Arthur's Theme - Christopher Cross
Eternal Flame - The Bangles
Dreams - Van Halen
Your Wildes Dreams - The Moody Blues
In Too Deep - Genesis
Hold On Loosley - 38 Special

I can give more... wanna hear ?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have had the exact same discusion with my friends. We have come to the conclusion that music today is sooooooo crappppy and rappppy that even poor 80's songs are good in comparision. It is a sad time,musicly, that we now live in.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
mrmonson

That is probably right!! I loathe today's music it really is CRAP...

I really think that 80s music is a hell of alot better then today's crap.. Even though I think the 80s was crap. I enjoy classic rock, but lately the 80s have put me in this mood and I can't get out of it.

Me and my husband were at a party on the weekend and his buddy had sweet cherry pie on in the back round amongst others and brian was ripping on him but he told him, i would rather listen to this # then the # thats out today... it's so damn true...

elevatedone,

The songs i'm listening to from m.b and e.m
m.b- how can we be lover's (I make sure I play that when brian's not here cuz he really really hates him)
e.m- take me home tonight

And the main ones I find myself listening to is take on me, touch you once, everybody wants to rules the world, more then a feeling, once bitten twice shy, rock you like a hurricane, there is always something there to me remind me, here I go again, and then their's fleetwood mac, the clash, the cure, ect...

Really I find this abnormal it's not me... But Mrmonson said it best...

music today is sooooooo crappppy and rappppy that even poor 80's songs are good in comparision. It is a sad time,musicly, that we now live in.

Very sad...

[Edited on 19-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I can give more... wanna hear ?

Sure, I got nothing else going on right now... Name some half good stuff the # you just mentioned was poo, lol, no offense..

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hahaha... 80's Music is the bomb.... Accept it and move forward. Although i have to say, MICHAEL BOLTON SUCKS TURN HIM OFF! If you need good 80's music.... listen to Guns & Roses, Appetite for Destruction Album. Some of the best 80's rock IMHO. O and whitesnake rox the hizzouse.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A Flock of Seagulls

I ran(so far away)

i agree, and have entertained the thoughts, it is because today's music is such crappy trash. i am not sure if they are an eighty's band but the faint are pretty cool.

[Edited on 8/19/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
80s Mancunian minstrels ruled before ruination by faux Goth subculture and the evolution of grunge out of Perth (Oz) to Seattle.

Magazine
Joy Division
A Certain Ratio
The Fall
and many others

but we hate The Happy Mondays.

Oh a token tip of the hat to the importance of Swindon for its contribution of XTC.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
Hahaha... 80's Music is the bomb.... Accept it and move forward. Although i have to say, MICHAEL BOLTON SUCKS TURN HIM OFF! If you need good 80's music.... listen to Guns & Roses, Appetite for Destruction Album. Some of the best 80's rock IMHO. O and whitesnake rox the hizzouse.

Dude, I know...... I hate him too, but when I get in "the mood" I put it on and dream about things I know aren't realistic... lol
I own 3 g'n'r cd's, all of which I love... In this case i'm just talking about the gay keyboard bands that I once loathed and found myself enjoying for the first time.... Although I haven't gotten to the point where i'm enjoying flock of sea gulls, I guess I can't be that bad off then, lol......

Is social distortion an 80s band?? They aren't too shabby either..

Remember the 80s lingo like "narly" and "radical" lol........oh the days...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Love the 80s also I have a good collection of music from the 70s and 80s, that was my best time.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
For a week or two now I can't stop listening to 80s music... [Edited on 19-8-2004 by TrueLies]

Has to be something in the water, because I've been listening to my old music as well.

The soundtrack from To Live and Die in L.A.
Molly Hatchet
Sammy Hagar
Simple Minds
Depeche Mode
and
a real oldie but goodie - Cheap Trick live at Budakhan

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
XTC, yes...Always liked the songs "Dear god" and
"Chalk hills and Children"
"Even I, never know, where I go, when my eyes are closed"

Sammy Hagar, one of my first concerts...He warmed up for Boston...
Boston, remember that FIRST album of thiers..That was actually late 70's
but does it count?

Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms.
Zebra: a heavy metal-ish band...But I like the song "Bears"
Michael Shenker Group, aka MSG...great guitar work.
Molly Hatchet: Gator Country, yeah!
Depeche Mode: My fave was "Violator" nearly the whole album..I still play that one.

There is a group from "now" that i have a lot of respect for...Foo Fighters..any opinions there?

Thanks guys, now I am humming something different in my head....I had a commercial stuck in there before LOL

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm in a rural conservative southern area right now so they just got to the eighties here. Blinded by Science indeed.

It's been all 70's art rock for the past decade on the "progressive" venues. I eagerly anticipate the coming Grunge revolution of 2010.

But when I want to relive the glory days of 80's Reagen bashing I put on POSH BOY compilations.

Agent Orange, Circle Jerks, The Nuns, Redd Kross... Good times.

Okay, so I don't really "put them on" since I sold all my vinyl and equipment after 9/11 for crack and ammo, but I do replay the 80's in my head...alot. No, the irony of singing Standing in front of Poseur to the mirror is not yet lost on me.

But for the pedestrian 80's interest with more of a traditional hard rock feel, I recommend Bad Brains in high doses.

Hardest rocking rastas ever banned in DC.

Equally accesible are Mojo Nixon and Violent Femmes, but I've never met a head banger yet that didn't thank me in kilos for turning them onto Bad Brains (not that they're exactly "undiscovered" as much as forgotten).

And for a glimpse of what could have been try Mr. Bungle as a hint to the alternate reality of bizarro 90's that got derailed by flannel clad Kurt Cobainiacs and pimped out white boy punks turned raptastic.

I'm feeling so ghetto fabulous right now I could bake cookies for all your asses.

pAcE

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
A flock of seagulls!!!
I thought that song was about that arabic country....

"Iran, Iran so far away, "

I have to agree that music has gone downhill since the 80's. I think that the music styles have just run out of ideas.

Has anyone noticed that 80's punk clothing, is now released in mainstream retro shirts?

Don't forget the 20 year cycle as kids grow up and realise that things were pretty good back then. We'll see more of the 80's coming back.

Originally posted by panchovilla
A Flock of Seagulls

I ran(so far away)

i agree, and have entertained the thoughts, it is because today's music is such crappy trash. i am not sure if they are an eighty's band but the faint are pretty cool.

[Edited on 8/19/2004 by panchovilla]

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Rant,

You are sounding a little like Jack Black, from the movie "HIgh Fidelity"

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Rant,

You are sounding a little like Jack Black, from the movie "HIgh Fidelity"

If only I were that good looking.

I thought of like a ton of bands to add to the 80's "must revive" list last night, but now I'm stumped for more than a few.

Bauhaus (as well as JPL inspired Love & Rockets)... plus the pure crap that you know you love: Simple Minds, MADNESS, the Motels, Motorhead, Eurythmics, Bananarama, ABC ("Be Near Me" not Another Bad Creation), but what the heck Bobbie Brown, Rick James, Spandau Ballet, U2 (yes I said the crap), Tone Loc, Toni Toni Toni, Nitzer Ebb, Scorpions, old REM and Van Halen (not crap but I mean the crappy songs
), B-52's, Fat Boys, Run DMC, Julian Lennon, Pet Shop Boys...and the SINGLES!!! Tainted Love, Feel for You (chaka, chaka, chaka Kahn yall), Total Eclipse of the Heart, Aint Nothing Gonna Breaka My Stide, anything by solo Bowie and/or Mick Jagger (ala Dancing in the Streets), Feed the World (let them know it's Christmas time), the other one about saving people, the one where Lionel Ritchie sings in African, Elvira (giddiup a-um boppa mow mow), and the offical song of a decade...

Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go)

Cause I'm not panning on going solo... Which George Michael did about 5 minutes later.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

especially whitesnake lol (once bitten twice shy),

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" was recorded by Great White, not Whitesnake

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ew I hated wake me up before go go...

I had a few REM / Agent orange / songs myself...

Anybody remember the Dead Kennedy's?? I think they were 80s...

Good stuff... I was more into punk boys, bmx bikes, plaid shirts, ect, even though I was a kid... I always had a hard on for older guys, mohawk's turned me on too for some reason... Altough none of them would go out with me unless they wants to be arrested for statuatory rape...

My husband is still a punk at heart even though he's in his early 40s.
Funny, we had the same taste in music even though I didn't sprout any leg hair back then... *sigh* I wish I could turn back the clock...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372

especially whitesnake lol (once bitten twice shy),

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" was recorded by Great White, not Whitesnake

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by sublime4372]

Are you sure about that? the title on my comp says whitesnake....
Edit: your right, I did a search and all that comes up is great white... your right...
damn you...

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah, it was Great White. They just played it at that club that burned down a while ago and got sued over it. I remember the fire video they played over and over with 'em singing it.

I said a my, my, my...

I wish I could turn back the clock too TL. DK was a great live show. You weren't old enough I suppose but small music venues ruled in the eighties. They exist today (bars) but it's not the same as when 18 year olds could drink, but they still let anyone under 18 in with an armband saying "dont' serve"... plus real national acts toured them then.

I miss it. We had like 5 year olds with Mohawks running around shows. I may try to scan some old pictures I took of mosh pit mayhem back in the day. My high school produced Corrosion of Conformity, SuperChunk, Picasso Trigger...probably more bands than I can recall (but those got signed and toured).

You just can't do that now. Damn corporate everything. My friends that started an Indy label got bought by Disney a while ago.
Disney!!! I think the whole thing got run into the ground by now though.

PS - That's why I cringe at the media invented stereotype that the 80's were "totally gnarly" like a Sean Penn or Nick Cage movie. I identify much more with the movie Suburbia as being accurate.
I mean there were Madonna wannabes no doubt. But they tended to be younger I think.

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by RANT]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join