It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
What is a sling?

The sling was likely mankind's first, true projectile weapon. It generally consists of two cords and a pouch. These cords are held in one hand and a projectile is placed in the pouch. The length of the sling provides greater mechanical advantage than one's arms. Projectiles can be slung over 1500 feet (450m) at speeds exceeding 250 miles per hour (400 kph). The sling is unique in that the movement of the weapon is merely an extension of the user’s body. The power and accuracy of the weapon is not by technological means, but rather user skill. The connection between slinger and sling is an intimate one, a relationship rarely found in modern weaponry.

There are many historical sources which describe the sling's extraordinary performance characteristics. Its main competitor, the bow, had both a shorter range and slower rate of fire. Additionally, dozens of historical sources note the remarkable accuracy of a sling in trained hands. Although use of the weapon diminished after the fall of the Roman Empire, the weapon’s supremacy as the premier, personal, long-range weapon was not supplanted until the 15th century. Ultimately, changes in society, technology and military tactics rendered the sling ineffective in large-scale, organized warfare. The sling continues to be used in various smaller conflicts and by enthusiasts to this day.

( www.slinging.org )

I have been training this weapon for quit a time now, and its super fun, i highly recommed it to everyone to try it out once, you will get better by time.

a few more videos about the sling

edit on 18-8-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The problem with the sling is that you must spend alot of time training to become even reasonably good with it. However training a bunch of people to shoot a volley of arrows you can do in a day.

The sling is really a non-effective weapon.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I have actually hunted with a sling. If using a large shot, it can do some significant damage, albeit at close range. I still think trapping is the most effective survival tactic.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Don't discount ANY weapon. The sling that the OP is referring to might be inefficient without practice, but could you not say the same for any weapon? There are a few more "updated" slings, such as those found here.

I like the rubber band/tube for the accuracy, but again as with any weapon, practice is needed.

Any one know of a place where I can get ball bearings on the waaaaaay cheap?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
The problem with the sling is that you must spend alot of time training to become even reasonably good with it. However training a bunch of people to shoot a volley of arrows you can do in a day.

The sling is really a non-effective weapon.

Your right about the first part, but wrong about the second, Slings are effective, there is many historical evidence.

new topics

top topics

join