It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's killing coral near Key West? Study points to human waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Human feces making their way through wastewater facilities and into the ocean are passing along a bacteria causing white pox disease that's killing Elkhorn coral near Key West, Florida, a new study says. "These bacteria do not come from the ocean; they come from us," said James W. Porter, a University of Georgia ecology professor, adding that mankind has a responsibility to respond and save a massive area around the Florida Keys. Porter and his colleagues say the study for the first time gives evidence of a new way of spreading diseases. Usually, bacteria is transmitted from wildlife to humans, for example, in the case of Avian flu. But here, the researchers' findings, which were published in the peer-reviewed journal PLoS ONE, show that diseases can in some cases be passed on from humans and affect wildlife to the point where it causes a population decline. When they began studying corals, researchers learned the bacteria Serratia marcescens was the cause of white pox. The bacteria is mostly associated with infections usually acquired in hospitals by newborns or immune-compromised adults. It can be responsible for a variety of infections, from meningitis to pneumonia.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

I think one particular quote is most significant here - "Porter and his colleagues say the study for the first time gives evidence of a new way of spreading diseases."

This is so frustrating. I am sadly not surprised, nor I'm sure are most of you. So, the way I look at it, as a culture and species we haven't even figured out yet how to handle our excrement without damaging the ecosystem. How about we figure that out before we decide to re-license our nuclear reactors, genetically alter our food, etc.

It is so hard to see lessons being presented to mankind that are being ignored, ridiculed or denied.

edit on 8/18/2011 by Open2Truth because: punctuation mishap

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The OP seems fair in the cause but I feel there is still more at play.
dispersants
oil
radiation
sad

edit on 8/18/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
hpt=hp_c2[/url]

I think one particular quote is most significant here - "Porter and his colleagues say the study for the first time gives evidence of a new way of spreading diseases."

what a ridiculous thing to say a new way of spreading disease ? are we still in the dark ages have they not heard of polio or Typhoid fever.

new topics

join