It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Is Not Expanding, NASA Research Confirms - BUT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
According to NASA,Earth is not expanding...and at the same Time,show Proof that it does...how stupid do they think we are?

It's a Small World, After All: Earth Is Not Expanding, NASA Research Confirms

Some Tibits first:

Now a new NASA study, published recently in Geophysical Research Letters, has essentially laid those speculations to rest. Using a cadre of space measurement tools and a new data calculation technique, the team detected no statistically significant expansion of the solid Earth.

To make these measurements, the global science community established the International Terrestrial Reference Frame. This reference frame is used for ground navigation and for tracking spacecraft in Earth orbit. It is also used to monitor many aspects of global climate change, including sea level rise and its sources; imbalances in ice mass at Earth's poles; and the continuing rebound of Earth's surface following the retreat of the massive ice sheets that blanketed much of Earth during the last Ice Age.

But measuring changes in Earth's size hasn't exactly been easy for scientists to quite literally "get their arms around." After all, they can't just wrap a giant tape measure around Earth's belly to get a definitive reading. Fortunately, the field of high-precision space geodesy gives scientists tools they can use to estimate changes in Earth's radius. These include:
•Satellite laser ranging -- a global observation station network that measures, with millimeter-level precision, the time it takes for ultrashort pulses of light to travel from the ground stations to satellites specially equipped with retroreflectors and back again.
•Very-long baseline interferometry -- a radio astronomy technology that combines observations of an object made simultaneously by many telescopes to simulate a telescope as big as the maximum distance between the telescopes.
•Global Positioning System -- the U.S.-built space-based global navigation system that provides users around the world with precise location and time information.
•Doppler Orbitography and Radiopositioning Integrated by Satellite -- a French satellite system used to determine satellite orbits and positioning. Beacons on the ground emit radio signals that are received by satellites. The movement of the satellites causes a frequency shift of the signal that can be observed to determine ground positions and other information.

And now,Ladies and Gentlemen,the Results:

The result? The scientists estimated the average change in Earth's radius to be 0.004 inches (0.1 millimeters) per year, or about the thickness of a human hair, a rate considered statistically insignificant.

Yes,you heard it right. Assuming the expansion rate is steady,the Diameter of our Planet would have increased by 650 Miles in its 5 Billion Years Lifetime.Considering the Earth is now 8000 miles in diameter,this would be a 8% increase in size...again,IF the expansion rate is steady!

Silly NASA

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Using a cadre of space measurement tools and a new data calculation technique, the team detected no statistically significant expansion of the solid Earth.

See, your thread is misleading. NASA didn't state that the earth isn't expanding. They clearly stated that "no statistically significant expansion" was detected.

.1 millimeters per year.

That's about as statistically insignificant as it gets

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Mah,let me have my Fun once in awhile

But seriously,this is just my take on it. Plates too move just a few cm (more or less) per Year...ok,stupid comparison

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Interesting, so the Earth is expanding. Does that mean we are also expanding?

edit on 18-8-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: spelling

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
if you had an extra .1millimeters in your pants your wife wouldnt notice. just sayin

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well technically speaking, We have to be expanding. Undersea and above ground volcanoes are still spewing molten material up to the surface that then hardens. Hell, most of the chain of Hawaiian islands, if not all of them, are only there because of volcanoes.

.1 millimeter is nothing, and there's obviously a margin for error, so who can say .1 is even accurate? It could be more, or less. We could actually be shrinking.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Does that mean we are also expanding

No, it means the planet we are on, due to tectonics and volcanoes, is expanding. Much like how the universe is expanding. The distances between galaxies is growing, but the galaxies and objects themselves are not.

edit on 18-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

This leaves us with the question, what is causing this .004 expansion. Could it be an imbalance in the relationship of our centrifugal force and the gravity which holds us together?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by Shenon

This leaves us with the question, what is causing this .004 expansion. Could it be an imbalance in the relationship of our centrifugal force and the gravity which holds us together?

This is good Question,which can only be answered if we know what our Core is made of. I think its like a Mini-Sun,which constantly creates Matter. Magma/Lava has to come from somwhere,right?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I've heard this theory. I recall also having heard that the core might be stimulated by something from outside like something emitted by the sun. I just hope I live long enough for the science to get us closer to understanding this.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yes, but those things fall back into the planet eventually via subduction faults...and all the Emperor Seamount range is collapsed islands like Hawaii (it will one day fall beneath the waves) and all that eventually gets pulled back in...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Does that mean we are also expanding

No, it means the planet we are on, due to tectonics and volcanoes, is expanding. Much like how the universe is expanding. The distances between galaxies is growing, but the galaxies and objects themselves are not.

I don't think you are understanding this properly friend. The Earth doesn't grow from volcanic eruptions. I don't think you put too much though into that actually.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i not saying i beleive the expanding earth theory but i recall reading that tonnes of space dust falls to earth all the time, so it must be expanding a miniscule amount. could be wrong tho

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

edit on 18-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

This statement is an oxymoron.

Look at what NASA said, they say "within current measurement uncertainties". And they make someone called Mr. Xiao Ping Wu put his name behind it. A chinese, with a chinese name, put his name behind an extremely volatile statement of political nature. Pretty much a scapegoat, and again the chinese don't know what to do except to bow and smile ... can't blame them, but NASA is being mean. On a personal basis.

I'll let you know, why your statment above is an oxymoron. The Universe is EXACTLY the same size it was originally. If it wasn't, you'd have to tell me where it is growing to? The fourth dimension? don't be silly. We are viewing a 3 dimensional space, not measuring unknown dimensions. The universe cannot grow, unless the objects themselves are changing ... period. This is not an argueable point. The statement that the Universe is growing without a causal effect is not an acceptable statement.

Subduction in great extent as defined in Plate tectonics is not a possibility. Because it's a perpetual machine ... and anyone, with even half a wit, should know that that is an impossibility. Let me explain.

For any energy, inside the earth to "break" through the crust, it needs a force to do so. This force, is equivalent, but no greater ... then exactly what is needed, to escape the earths crust. No more, than exactly that. For this material, to re-enter the earth, you need an equivalent force, to push it down.

What NASA is basically saying here, is ... "it's not a perpetual machine, there is just a teeny-weeny-little-energy-being-lost". It doesn't matter how much energy is being lost, you need a force greater than the one that escaped the earth, to push it back in. And here is the real kick in the butt ... not only does it have to push it back in, it has to push into an area with greater density than the upper layer has. It's like, good luck pushing oil into water ... kind of thing. It floated up on it's own ... you need to push it down. Since there is no external energy at work here, according to all scientists who categorically deny Expansion. The same force, that goes up ... most push it down again. Since the force going up, is no greater than EXACTLY what is needed to go up. You need AT LEAST the same to push it down again ... in other words, a perpetual machine.

This doesn't mean there is NO subduction, it only means that subduction as defined by Plate Tectonics is not a possibility.

The mechanics of expansion are pretty simple, and have very little to do with volcanoes, except how the magam acts when it comes out.

For all of you, who want to do this at home. I'd suggest you take a good bit of yeast, some wheat and warm water, along with sugar. Make a bread dough, have it pretty wet ... then let it swell ... what you will see, is exactly the same thing as magma. The magma, is magnetised plasma that is filled with microscopic holes when it comes out, that to some extent will collapse to make the lava contract a little. But when the magma is coming out, it is just like a bread dough ... swollen with gasillion of microscopic gas bubbles within it. Anyone close to a lava site, can verify this ...

The interaction with the Sun, is simply what makes the plasma inside the earth, magnetic. There is no need, for additional matter to collect in the earth and never was. The liqified and metallic plasma inside the earth, is doing it's utter best to swell into it's gaseous state, and don't need any help from any outer influence.

Now, when it comes to gravity. Gravity as you experience it is changing constantly. When a volcanic activity is in place, that particular place is changing rapitly in gravity. If there is magma flowing below, the gravity will increas. When the magma leaves that subterranian chambers, the gravity decreases. In other words, the magnetised plasma inside the earth is what constitutes for most of the gravity on the earth, because of it's immense dense nature. And when this plasma swells and gets closer to the surface, the gravitation you experience will increase. And given the immense earth changes, during its lifetime ... changes in gravity is a fact.

It all happens without any addition of matter from outer space ... although there probably is also addition of matter from outer space, because otherwise, we wouldn't have an outer crust.

For all the stupid things, NASA has done ... I think this is one of the biggest. Maybe they SHOULD outsource the space program to China. At least they have the good inclination of adhering to Politically Correct behaviour ... unlike me. :-)

I call it BS, as I see it.

edit on 18-8-2011 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
One thing that always kept me wondering ...
how is known earth history possible if earth is not expanding

Well to me it seems it is growing big time.
Please enlighten me

top topics

join