It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freeze Your Fat Off! Zeltiq The New Procedure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Unsuccessful at dieting or can't lose those unwanted pounds? No exercise, diet or surgery! The latest thing is freezing off those fat cells.

It is non-invasive and requires no down time. Gives you a feeling of"mildly cold". Lose up to 20-25 % body fat in certain areas they claim.

Zeltiq

CBS News
Zeltig

No diet, surgery or exercise

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Perplexedandconfused

LMFAO

To anyone who believes this crap I have genuine Martian fossils as well as loch ness monster poo to sell.

Seriously who falls for this crap

Well actually my ex for one, she had some fat burning thing done over 3 months. She did actually lose some weight, unfortunately it was all in her wallet LOLOLOLOLOL

Fat? wanna lose weight? stop eating $#!* and get some friggen exercise!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
it actually does work just not as much as they say. It is designed to sculpt the body, not reduce fat like lipo. From what i have read and seen about it before it is good for loosing stuff like love handles or that tiny bit of belly (and i do mean tiny). Its a pity it doesn't truly take off 25% of your excess fat

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
don't ya think that would hurt the muscles.
I wonder what else it could kill besides fat.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I remember seing a video about this last year apparently they just needed the approval of the FDA.

Here´s a story about this from last year.

Avram was quick to point out, however, that the results are "not comparable to liposuction, and this is not a weight-loss device."

edit on 18-8-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Yeah I think I will stick with dieting, the gym and other regular exercise, seems to work

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Urgh. I don't like fat removing procedures. I can see why they may be necessary if people are chronically overweight and have a genuine medical reason for it (I forget the name of the condition now, but I saw something in a set of twins where the lad and lass ate the same relatively healthy diet but she put on huge amounts of weight and he didn't) but a lot of people are just lazy.

There are loads of procedures now like gastric bands and lipo and that, and a lot of the time it'd be far easier and cheaper (for the healthcare system, at least) just to diet and exercise.
Like that whole family who got gastric surgery on the NHS in the UK... It's a huge waste of time and money that could go towards people who need operations they didn't cause themselves.

I don't have a lot of time for people who complain there isn't enough treatment for overweight people etc. I'm kinda in the camp that if it's your lifestyle then it's your fault and if you spend your time sat on the sofa watching TV while stuffing your face with any junk food you can get your hands on until you get an ultimatum to scare yourself out of it then, yeah, you should pay for the treatment.
It's not hard to eat semi-healthily and do 2 and a half hours of exercise a week, really. I'm not brilliant on the healthy eating thing, I don't think I ever do 5 a day, but I'm still relatively healthy because I exercise and people underestimate what that can do because, like I said, society has gotten lazy. Ready-meals take less time to cook and why walk when you can take the car/bus? That's fine, but when the people start complaining the system doesn't do enough for them (which of course they will if they want to try this procedure and have to pay for it), that's where I take issue.

People need to stop expecting everything to be given to them on a platter. But I'm ranting...

So yeah, good for us if we've found new cosmetic surgery procedures. It's a step forward still, and might save someone's life one day, so good for it. Providing there are no issues in the long term, it's all good. Although I'd be wary of freezing parts of my body, I must say. I can see why it would work in theory, but I might take issue at the targeting mechanisms being fat specific, and not upsetting anything else in there. I'm no expert though, so I'll be happy to see how it goes.

As long as I'm not paying for the procedure itself to happen then I'm good with it.

edit on 18/8/2011 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I got rid of half of my ugly fat the old fashioned way . . . . .

DIVORCE

Unfortunately, it was not covered by my health insurance.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexedandconfused

Perfect! A procedure to melt the fat away...only for it to return in 6 months. Sounds strikingly familiar.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ayana
Urgh. I don't like fat removing procedures. I can see why they may be necessary if people are chronically overweight and have a genuine medical reason for it (I forget the name of the condition now, but I saw something in a set of twins where the lad and lass ate the same relatively healthy diet but she put on huge amounts of weight and he didn't) but a lot of people are just lazy.

You saw that clear evidence of hormonal/glandular differences in twins, and you can still make such a stupid statement? "Wow those fat people are LAZY." I can tell you this -- when I was fat, I worked out constantly and ate a normal diet, and didn't lose any weight. The only time I can approach normal weight is when I am being extremely stingy about food and eating way less than normal. I am genetically pre-disposed to be fat and I have to constantly struggle against it. Anyone who would claim "fat people are lazy" obviously never struggled with it (don't bother lying to save face) and have no business opening their uninformed mouths about the subject.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

Many overweight people also have very slow metabolisms from dieting much of their lives. They cut back on intake to try to lose weight and their metabolism slows even more as the body doesn't know it is not in a situation where it is starving to death. What eventually happens is that they can only eat very little daily without gaining weight.

Here's a link to a short article about it.

slowed metabolism

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Just work out, do aerobics and eat clean.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
so what happens after the fat cells die? it isnt eliminated from the body, so i guess you get some temporary swelling in the area, while your body cleans up the mess, and the fat i suppose ends up being deposited right back into brand new fat cells or existing ones just get bigger.

why dont they just let me punch them in the gut instead? it would just as effective and probably less damaging to their body. (ive got a mean hook, ill have you know)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
...thats as crazy as having fat sucked out of your butt cheeks to poof up your face... and if you're one of those and you tell someone to kiss your butt, which butt do you mean?... and how do they get rid of the cellulite in butt fat before they stick it in your face?...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
If it really destroys the cells, that could be great.
It looks to me like..the problem is that it could be an over the counter device.
If that is the case, plastic surgeons won't make that much off of it.
It probably will take forever to be approved in the US. lol

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'm actually diabetic and when I was 9 was put on an adults diet by a nurse who was a complete idiot and was force fed portion sizes far too big for myself through my parents being terrified and wanting to follow the rules to the letter. This meant I went from 3 or 4 stone (I lost a lot before I was diagnosed) to about 8 or 9 stone in a very short space of time. (I can't remember the exact weights but I was unnaturally thin before, and quite possibly obese after - it was a while ago).

I'm not going to say I'm fat now, no, coz I'm not. I'm not going to argue with you, because I know nothing of your situation, but you don't know anything about mine either, so I could quite easily be a middle aged woman who had battled with weight in the past. I'm not, of course, so there's no point in saying I am just to prove a point. Everyone has a right to their opinions, and the world would be boring if we all agreed, so I'm not the person to switch sides coz someone contradicted me. I'm probably quite lucky in that I take after my dad's side of the family rather than my mothers: start off chubby, get thinner as you get older. But I did have to struggle to get that weight off and have only just managed to do so in recent years. And growing up as a fat teenager isn't good for self esteem

But I didn't say all, I said a lot. I'll change that statement if you like to 'some' if you want a correction on my part. I should have been more clear on that so not to upset anyone, but I'm not 'uninformed' and I don't walk around pointing my finger at people who are overweight and shouting "LAZY" at them so I'd really rather not be accused of doing so.

Members of my own family and people I see every day prefer to do stupid 'diets' to lose weight (the one where you attempted to get ketones present in your own urine was possibly the worst one I'd heard and my objection was listened to that time and it didn't go ahead) and will not[ exercise to help themselves, preferring to sit in front of the television and try to wish the fat away while stuffing their face with chocolate and other rubbish, moaning about how unfair it is. And, like someone said, their metabolism will slow down when their bodies go into shock and storage and they won't lose anything anyway. I tried explaining this to a member of my family, but they don't 'have time' to exercise, and would rather drive places they can get to in 20 mins walking, so basically, they're not going to lose the weight they want to lose - are they?

I have the utmost sympathy for people who have tried and succeeded, or even just tried to lose weight and not managed using diet and exercise due to genetics or whatever. Therefore, I'm sorry if you felt offended by my post. I didn't mean to do so, and thought I'd worded it in such a way to avoid it.

But working for a healthcare system in the UK that's already overstretched and seeing people want procedures because they just can't be bothered to lose the weight themselves annoys me. And unfortunately in this country it's getting that way. Especially with kids. We have a lot of obese (not just puppy fat either - properly obese) kids who aren't learning from their parents to shift it. I mean, lets face it, junk food does taste better than veggies to kids (I used to see McDonalds as a treat - now it makes my stomach ache) and computer games are generally more interesting than playing outside. Especially in built up areas. Probably safer too. Less cars to hit you while you try to get your football or gangs to be scared of in the house. I make myself take the dog for a walk at least once a day and it's been instilled in me because I sort of live in the countryside and have animals but not everyone is as lucky and you see kids all the time who won't leave their computers, and then their parents wonder why they're overweight. This is kinda bad in itself as I have two friends from when I was in primary school who were also quite chubby and went on to develop anorexia. Whether or not it was because of that, I'm not sure. It was probably more to do with media influence where the only size is 0 and everything else is ugly. Which I completely disagree with.
Let's put it this way, if we have to use colour wheels to tell us what's good for us and have adverts on the TV to tell people how much exercise to do, there's something dodgy going on. But hopefully it's opening people's eyes and making them think and act on it.

Those are the people I take issue with. Not you. Not people who have genetic issues. Not even people who are overweight and just continue on with their lives happily. I don't really feel strongly enough about perfect weights to care. It's the people who are fat, lazy, and won't get off their backsides to do anything about it but constantly moan about the government on the news and to the papers because they can't have a gastric band fitted on the NHS and how that is completely unfair to them. Anyone who makes an effort, I'm willing to help. Because making the effort is, at the end of the day, better and healthier for your body and your self esteem. Anyone who refuses to do so, then I'm sorry but it's their own fault.
edit on 19/8/2011 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

Thanks for that, Ayana. I'm not taking any sides on this, but I will add my own commentary:

One of the biggest reasons why the treatment of obesity, as a energy balance problem, generally doesn't work (and it doesn't...Obesity experts readily admit this) is because physiological conditions are affecting those psychological conditions (lazy, tired, hungry, etc). Hormones, governed the hypothalamus, are directly causing such mental inhibitions. Trying to address the problem backwards by eating less or working out more forces obese people to try and outsmart the body (physiological) by ignoring those hunger pangs or being mentally strong enough to get off the couch and exercise (psychological).

Can some people do it? Yes.

Are some people truly lazy? Yes

But nobody in their right mind, and nobody that has objectively looked at the research or worked with people struggling with obesity, would say that laziness is the problem. And nobody in their right mind would suggest that fat people just lack will power to keep from eating so much. Most fat people don't willingly choose to stay fat.

Anyway, the point is: Fat people are fat because of physiological defects that are driving psychological effects. In other words, and I've said this over and over on here, they eat too much and are too sedentary because they are fat, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ayana
But I didn't say all, I said a lot. I'll change that statement if you like to 'some' if you want a correction on my part. I should have been more clear on that so not to upset anyone, but I'm not 'uninformed' and I don't walk around pointing my finger at people who are overweight and shouting "LAZY" at them so I'd really rather not be accused of doing so.

But that's what you said.

I know a lot of really thin people that eat like pigs and can't gain weight. And then have the nerve to complain about it. I despise them for it.

My situation is -- I can eat pretty much anything I want if I want to hover around a certain obese weight. It seems I could never be a walking tub of lard, like people that can't fit on amusement park rides and such, since I went years not caring and stayed that same weight. My body wants to have a certain amount of extra fat (+80 pounds) and that maxes it out.

If I eat like normal people, I will be a little less, say +65 pounds.

If I eat normally and exercise, it is still about the same. Maybe +60 to +65 pounds.

Only if I strictly diet can I start dropping weight and getting into a "healthy" weight. My sibling is the same way. One side of my family has the really thin people that complain that they can't gain weight. The other side of my family is overweight. It's not hard to figure out that this is all genetic.

Could I be thin? Technically yes ... I'd have to eat the equivalent of 1 to 1.5 meals a day, spread out over the course of the day, and probably become a jogger or swimmer. Since most people don't do that, but sit on their asses eating fast food, and then are simply either fat or thin based on their genetics, no one has the right to tell me I am "lazy" if I am not a daily jogger or swimmer. I was handed these genetics and I have to deal with them. If I fail to be a superhuman in dealing with them, you have no right to !@%$!% judge me.

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
One of the biggest reasons why the treatment of obesity, as a energy balance problem, generally doesn't work (and it doesn't...Obesity experts readily admit this) is because physiological conditions are affecting those psychological conditions (lazy, tired, hungry, etc). Hormones, governed the hypothalamus, are directly causing such mental inhibitions. Trying to address the problem backwards by eating less or working out more forces obese people to try and outsmart the body (physiological) by ignoring those hunger pangs or being mentally strong enough to get off the couch and exercise (psychological).

THANK YOU. It is a genetic predisposition. I'm not trying to use that as an excuse for STAYING fat, or for not trying to live as healthy as possible, but I'm saying that it is a real obstacle and nothing me and others ever chose. Anyone that says that huge obstacle doesn't exist may as well continue to be just as callous and ignorant by saying that mental impairment doesn't exist. Walking up to a mentally challenged person "Why aren't you smart? I'm smart! Just stop watching TV and go study!" Give me a break.

I was thin as a kid. When I was outside running around ALL DAY LONG. That's not really an option for people with academic degrees which require office jobs. Actually, I had a hard outdoor job for a while, and the weight still crept on. Only thing that works for me is strict dieting and being hungry for months on end.

As for "changing your metabolism" ... even for the methods that may work, it seems like a dangerous proposition to mess around with your body like that. I'd be afraid of triggering some kind of condition like cancer or diabetes or who knows what else.

And to actually address the topic (LOL) -- I've heard of it, but it seems too dangerous too. I'd sooner get lipo than risk destroying important tissue through freezing. Things like lipo or freezing may have uses for small targeted areas, but burning fat off is the best way for your health. Dieting helps get rid of fat deposits in your circulatory system, for one thing. If you just take it all off with lipo, you'll be a thinner person but with the same clogged arteries.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Observer99 because: addendum

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well, a genetic predisposition that causes a propensity to gain and retain fat for most people means they are much more susceptible to the detrimental effects of an unhealthy diet. Some people have a genetic predisposition that causes glucose sensitivity, an over-compensatory problem in which too much insulin is released in response to spikes in blood glucose. This problem doesn't mean you'll be fat. And it doesn't mean you can't lose weight. But, if ignored, it can lead to insulin resistance and obesity; a broken metabolism.

But predispositions don't have to be genetic in nature. Here's a perfect example, and it is a real world factor in childhood obesity: If an expecting mother consumes a diet promotes insulin resistance, the fetus will undoubtedly be negatively affected, causing a predisposition to develop hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance. As a result, the child will be much more susceptible to developing obesity than his peers.

Both of these predispositions explain why some people, and kids, can seem to eat whatever they want and, seemingly, not affect their health while others can't look at a soda without without adding a couple pounds. And most of it comes down to hormone production and receptor quantity/sensitivity.

top topics

join