It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Younger Than Previously Thought, Analysis of Lunar Rock Reveals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

ScienceDaily (Aug. 17, 2011) — Analysis of a piece of lunar rock brought back to Earth by the Apollo 16 mission in 1972 has shown that the Moon may be much younger than previously believed.

"We have analysed a piece of lunar rock that was brought back to Earth by the Apollo 16 mission in 1972. Although the samples have been carefully stored at NASA Johnson Space Center since their return to Earth, we had to extensively pre-clean the samples using a new method to remove terrestrial lead contamination. Once we removed the contamination, we found that this sample is almost 100 million years younger than we expected," says researcher James Connelly of the Centre for Star and Planet Formation.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Interesting. 100 million years seems like an extremely long time, but then when thinking about the age of the solar system, it them seems a bit small, atleast in my opinion.

According to the article, researchers previously have had a hard time dating some of these rocks, the one in this article being ferroan anorthosite, also known as FAN, which is the oldest of the Moon's crustal rocks.

The team analysed the isotopes of the elements lead and neodymium to place the age of a sample of a FAN at 4.36 billion years. This figure is significantly younger than earlier estimates of the Moon's age that range to nearly as old as the age of the solar system itself at 4.567 billion years. The new, younger age obtained for the oldest lunar crust is similar to ages obtained for the oldest terrestrial minerals -- zircons from Western Australia -- suggesting that the oldest crust on both Earth and the Moon formed at approximately the same time.

Does this mean the Earth is also 100 million years younger than previously thought to?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

For some reason, this bit of information feels like a puzzle piece of disclosure. Or rather, this information has been held onto, and just finally declassified to the public. May this have any truth to it - the next question would be "why" release this info now.

Information like this is always great, nonetheless - regardless if I have to re-organize my tin foil hats.

edit on 18-8-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Well if Apollo 16 really went to the moon, then I'd be more inclined to believe this crap. They love to keep us arguing with each other though.... Earth is 5000yrs old! No, it's 100 million! Grrrr, I hate you Christians....grrr I hate you scientists!

I still can't get past this part..... in the last 6 months of 1969, NASA built, tested, and launched 2 spacecraft and 2 lunar orbiters to the moon, and both came back no problem without much of any hitch to speak of.... never done before in the history of man, but, we did it TWICE in 4 months.
China owns the US pretty much, and they cant get there till 2020....maybe.

Rrrrrrright.
edit on 18-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I hope the sample tested wasn't from the same batch as this 'moon rock',
donated by apollo astroNots to a dutch museum.
If so, estimates could be way off!

Moooooon Cheeeeese!!!
edit on 18-8-2011 by pshea38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It was a decade of testing, not 6 months. Why don't you start a revolution?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I understand it may also be hollow? i often look up at the moon and think of the death star from star wars.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

It was a decade of testing, not 6 months. Why don't you start a revolution?

There's literally 1000s of people trying to do that right now, but people with closed minds and narrow perspectives can't seem to hear the message being spoken by the loudest of humanity. I can also literally show you and everyone here a real space alien, petrified moon wood-rock, a real UFO, cure for cancer, solution to the economy, etc., and really all it would take is one alphabet agency to go on the TV and say it isn't true, and all of a sudden my effort has been thwarted by official words.

How easy it is to pull strings, I'm sure trillionaires would never dare such things.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Does this mean the Earth is also 100 million years younger than previously thought to?

Nope says so in the last line of the off topic post you posted.

The new, younger age obtained for the oldest lunar crust is similar to ages obtained for the oldest terrestrial minerals -- zircons from Western Australia -- suggesting that the oldest crust on both Earth and the Moon formed at approximately the same time.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I still can't get past this part..... in the last 6 months of 1969, NASA built, tested, and launched 2 spacecraft and 2 lunar orbiters to the moon, and both came back no problem without much of any hitch to speak of.... never done before in the history of man, but, we did it TWICE in 4 months.
China owns the US pretty much, and they cant get there till 2020....maybe.

Rrrrrrright.
edit on 18-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

The spacecraft were built way in advance. Stacking the rocket != building. We used to stack way more shuttles per year than that. NASA's budget is nowhere near where it was in the 60s though.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
donated by apollo astroNots to a dutch museum.

That is a lie. Apollo astronauts never donated any such "rock." It was given by an ambassador who claimed to get it from someone at the state department, not NASA. Two samples were given as goodwill gifts to the Netherlands and they're both accounted for. This is not one of them. The sample given from Apollo 11 is at the National Museum of the History of Science and Medicine in Leiden (as is the other sample, donated from a goodwill rock collected by Apollo 17 years later).
edit on 18-8-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

There's literally 1000s of people trying to do that right now, but people with closed minds and narrow perspectives can't seem to hear the message being spoken by the loudest of humanity.

Really. I wonder why that is.

Could it be because they hear, but do not believe you?

And could that be because the things you’re telling us aren’t actually true?

I mean, look at this lot:

I can also literally show you and everyone here a real space alien, petrified moon wood-rock, a real UFO, cure for cancer, solution to the economy, etc., and really all it would take is one alphabet agency to go on the TV and say it isn't true, and all of a sudden my effort has been thwarted by official words.

You cannot show us a single one of those things.

A bunch of hoax photos and videos and reams of uncorroborated testimony do not a ‘space alien’ make.

There are plenty of real moon rocks, and if you want to own a real smidgen of moondust, even though it is technically illegal, you can. All you have to do is buy a painting by former Apollo moonwalker Alan Bean. Be warned: they are expensive.

Unidentified flying objects exist in profusion but they are only unidentified because the people who saw them couldn’t identify them; not one of them has ever been shown to be an alien craft.

There are plenty of cures for different kinds of cancer but they have nasty side-effects and don’t always work.

The cleverest minds of humanity cannot solve economic problems because (a) they involve too many untrackable (even unknown) variables, (b) they involve human beings, who are stubborn and unpredictable and (c) economics is pseudoscience anyway.

Nobody, especially in America, trusts politicians much, but most people are able to accept reason and evidence when it is presented to them, which is why they believe in reality rather than dreams.

trillionaires would never dare such things.

You can’t show us a trillionaire either.

Maybe it’s time to stop sucking on that spliff, Mister Jedi.

new topics

top topics

join