It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to stay mobile after it hits the fan.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
If ethanol is about like making corn liquor, you may be in big trouble.

Unless you have 40 lb of granulated sugar for every 100 lb of corn.....

Edit to add:

You can certainly make it entirely from corn; but you'll notice that most recipes that don't use sugar call for 4 bushels (240 lb) of corn meal. That is quite a bit of corn in your kitchen!

Yes, you can certainly make a sort of "corn licker" without cane sugar, but it will be extremely low proof. Read up on the topic, and you'll see that the way the government revenuers caught moonshiners was by tailing them from the wholesalers who sold bulk cane sugar---and not by following them from the corn granary!

A lot of things, like distillation, embody a simple principle; but getting them to function economically is the reason everyone doesn't do it themselves every day.
edit on 19-8-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

If they've shielded the on board computer and ignition systems then it might work. If by pure coincidence that the factory design acts as a shield then they might work. That's a huge might. If the computer "box" does die then the car will not do anything ever again unless it's replaced.

The lone exceptions will be those newer vehicles still using carbs. A lot of industrial vehicles still use them but for the most part carbs are obsolete. I would also be surprised if an electronic ignition survived, making those cars anything but a sure bet. The idea is to have a sure thing.

About your gasket debate. Use high performance gaskets. They will not alter the engine by much other than make it tougher. If you're building a vehicle for survival I recommend you improve durability anywhere you can. Ethanol has been used in race cars since.....about the time they started racing cars.
It's not that difficult to make the conversion or be ready for multiple fuel sources.

Lastly, here's a quick youtube video of a large k10 (GMC version of a c10) with 38 inch tall tires going down a road. Hummers use 38 inch tall tires and if you want a truck capable of travel after the stuff hits the fan I recommend you use them as well. It's about the closest thing I could find to the vehicle I outlined.

That's about three feet of water he's driving through. I'm thinking it would take a long time for a public road to look like that. Notice that he does not have a snorkel on that truck. If he did, he could go through even more. I'm not sure if you understand all of the lingo but the vehicle I outlined for you will be on par with a hummer off-road, be immune to EMP, and capable of hitting 100 mph easily.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Thestargateisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am not sure how likely an emp would be.

A shtf scenario does not require it all.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOven

An EMP doesn't neccessarily have to be man made. A strong enough solar flare would generate one. Also, what's the point in preping if your transportation system doesn't work in an emp case? If you plan right it won't be hard to prepare for it and the vehicle described by the OP would be highly useful even without an EMP. After all, how many people could rig their vehicle up to run on anything other than the stuff at the pump? Having it set up before hand would also be easier to do than trying to set it up after such an event.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I appreciate the effort that was put into this thread, so S&F.
That being said, my personal situation is one in which I do not foresee needing to be tremendously mobile, at least not at first.

However, my opinion is that one should purchase vehicles for which parts can be easily scavenged.

Hummers may look big and indestructible, but most so specialized, part-wise, you'll be SOL very soon.

My opinion of a good vehicle for SHTF is something like a '97-2003(?) Chevy Blazer/ Jimmy/ S-10.
In some instances, and with some finagling, Trailblazer and Envoy parts are interchangeable as well.

A trillion of these were made, and parts are abundant.

There are other examples, just as good a case can be made on the Ford side.

I keep a 2001 Blazer as a second auto, and use it for hunting, fishing, and even winter weather.
I scratch it or roll it into a ditch, and not a tear is shed.
Finding parts for it is always a breeze.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
For getting away fast to an unoccupied area with enough gear to keep me fed, safe and healthy; I'll take my 250 dirt bike over anything. Tough, rugged, fuel efficient and outfitted to carry what I need. The secret to survival will be to stay invisible as possible for as long as possible because the predators will the mean, hungry and plentiful.

bring it.....
edit on 21-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

If I were single, and not in Wisconsin, I'd be right there with you.
Family on a dirt bike in 12 inches of snow might make for great entertainment, but not great odds!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoomer72

Originally posted by buddha
I think a small ship would be good.
not a sail boat. some thing big and metal.
put some sail on it. and solar panels.
have a generator that can burn all kinds of fuel.
you are a lot safer on a ship.
drop anchor half miles from land.
and it is very hard for some one to attack you.
Ok you would need a lot of money to start.
but you only need a second hand ship.
there is some on Ebay

Actually thats not an bad idea, that would enable you to move where you want and when you want
and would be easier to detect any hostiles and defend compared to camp in a forest for example...
ofcourse if somebody attacks you with warship it would be a whole other ball game

edit on 8/19/2011 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

In the olden time's that's how our ancestors used to live.
The Dan tribe in ancient Israel were known to live out of their boats and set sail into the sea if bad times descended

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

That may be true BUT the c10s from the 70s and 80s were made for a very long time, sold very well, and were built with very common parts. Any given part may have been used on many diferent vehicles. So one replacement part could be found in anything from, another c10, to an international scout (steering box and a few other parts interchange). Dare I say, parts for an old c10 are easier to find than your suggestion. Also, the fact that the most common engine on earth can be bolted straight in, in a variety of configurations. A 305, 350, and 400 are straight bolt ins with the other older 283, 307, 327, being able to bolt in with the exception of a few brackets. It's a good vehicle for the purpose. They were also built until the late 80s, the main difference being the body parts were updated. Otherwise it's the same truck. Another great advantage to a c10 is that the truck itself is adaptable. If you need a new radiator and can't find one for the c10, there's enough room under the hood to cut and mount any proper sized radiator if you're so inclined. Try doing that under the hood of an s10 (if you've ever seen under the hood of an s10 you're laughing at that idea right now). Need a hose? You can cut and bend a wide variety of radiator hoses or even make your own very easily in an engine compartment that big. Not the case on a newer vehicle, especially an s-10. It's also nice to have room under your hood to mount things like, dual alternators, an a/c compressor that's been redone to power air tools, an on board welder, secret stashes of whatever.

If that's not enough, the older mechanical designs offer a few very nice things that a newer vehicle doesn't have. For one, a manual operated fuel pump located on the engine that's not body specific. Good luck tracking down the in tank style fuel pump for a newer vehicle when the parts stores close down. Not gonna happen. Any carb that matches your intake will bolt on. There are literally millions of old 4 barrels that are being thrown in the trash because there are so many of them! Try finding a replacement carb or injecters for a v-6 after the stuff hits the fan. Again, not happening. Power steering pump goes out? That's fine sbcs share that in common as well, non-body specific and easy to find. I'm sure you're starting to see the idea now so I'm gonna stop naming things.

I'm sure your trucks share some parts, chevy is known for that. They are known for that because the engine that also holds the title of most parts interchanged between different engines is.....the generation one small block chevy engine family. They've tried to stay in line with that thinking but they're not nearly as adaptable as they once were.

You literally can't go to a junkyard without seeing at least one (most likely more) c10s and 350s waiting to be rebuilt or bolted in as is. Half the time a junkyard 350 is still capable of running, although not very fast. Worst case scenario, your engine throws a rod and it's a complete lose. The c10 is probably the easiest vehicle ever made to get going again. Which brings me another point. They're very easy to work on. You can sit on the fender of a c10 and have the entire engine at arms reach and they have a very small amount of junk in the way.

The only real problem with a c10 is going to be fuel consumption. I think if you want a survival vehicle your best bet would be to use the vehicle sparingly and keep a bike around for shorter trips. Use the vehicle itself to aquire fuel as payment for helping others, if you find yourself having a supply issue. If you've got a truck that's working that can weld, fix, recover other vehicles, haul, and transport a passenger, you've got a great trading commodity.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Thestargateisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
forget gas guzzling v8 engines

the only engine you will want and need is a deisel

it is easy these days to make your own fuel

diesels first engine was made to run off straight peanut oil

deisel
horse
bicycle
walking

there are your only choices

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well said, also Diesel fuel is more widespread for trains, boats, trucks etc.
It also store's for longer too

Diesel engines are rated for greater compression pressures, meaning longer life.
They do suffer in the cold (-10+) with 'gelling' of the fuel unless you thin it with kerosene...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Good luck obtaining fuel after the production of such items are shut down.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

good luck? yeah when its easy to make deisel yourself

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You can use oil (frying) i believe to power a deisel vehicle, though it is bad for the long term.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

It's too hard to make in enough quantity.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I recently posted this on another thread then came across this thread so I thought I would post again here.

I have mine, 84 Jeep CJ Scrambler with 35" Yokohama GeoLanders, 8,000lb warn hydraulic winch ran off of power steering pump, Isuzu 4JB1-TC, 2.8L turbo charged mechanical diesel engine with NP 435 4 speed granny low tranny.

I don't have to worry about an EMP interrupting my computer on this and if I can't get diesel, I can run it off of used cooking oil just by letting it get to operating temp and warming up the oil in the oil tank, switch tanks and keep going. It's just a pain to strain all the food sediment out of the cooking oil but I made a sock/screen strainer that works great.

Oh and I get 35 mpg with it, it's pretty much my daily driver since gas prices went through the roof.

Now if I could just get Sons of Guns to build me a turret for the rollbar I'd be set!

I have also considered a horse, pretty low maitenance there plus if it got real bad you would have a ton of meat for protein!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Are you sure that nothing in the wiring is going to cause a problem? Sounds like a highly modified vehicle. Any loose ends that you might not be thinking about?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Are you sure that nothing in the wiring is going to cause a problem? Sounds like a highly modified vehicle. Any loose ends that you might not be thinking about?

While you can never be absolutely sure of every possibility I think I've pretty much covered everything. The only weak point I see in the case of an EMP is the battery for cranking but I can literally push start it in 8-10 feet with it in granny low and the transfer case in low range. Being that it's a mechanical diesel with no computer anywhere on the truck there's nothing to prevent it from running and I also removed the fuel shut off solenoid and replaced it with a hand operated cable.

I just put what I knew from working as a diesel mechanic over the years to use when modifying the Jeep to make the diesel work like I wanted. It's pretty modified as it started out as my rock crawler Jeep when I lived in west Texas, then when the 304 V8 blew I had the Isuzu diesel sitting around from a genset and decided to modify it and install it for the fuel economy. Eventually it morphed into my fall out vehicle. It even has a complete snorkle system on it and I've had it out in mud holes here in central Fl with water up to the windshield with it still going.

If I can ever figure out how to post pics on here I'll add some, but so far I can't even get my Avatar to show.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
As previously pointed out...a horse is ideal...and in a pinch, you can eat him/her. For a lot of gear, two horses.

Horses have a proven track record... grazing is readily available... any meds, shoes, wormers, and accessories are readily available across the country in all the places you would want to hide or hang out...rural small towns and farms.

They can go across wooded brush, uncut hillsides, across shallow streams and with the right training..across wide rivers. Up and over and into rocky ravines and mountain tops.

They are relatively silent...pretty durable... and really are only limited by availability of water and grass.

The key is to stay off of the road ways and main thoroughfares...

I plan to stay on my farm and hunkerdown...but if we have to abandon the farm... we will do so on horseback...and travel the powerline right of ways across country and the abandoned RR right of ways. Just get yourself some good topo maps and even some copies of turn of the century to wwII maps and there will be the RR lines and power lines...all cutting across the remotest areas...clear and hardened for your journey.... the trickiest part will be crossing the roads and hugging the tree lines by day..

Do you really want to be playing out the Rambo/MadMax scenario with some ramped up road monster stuck in traffic and looking ahead at the humvees with 50 cal MGs mounted and pointed at you from the next exit ramp?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You have a very good point and once I get to our pre-determined place I will be switching to horseback. We have 6k acres of family property in rural south-central Ga in a county with a population just over 8k. It's a place where a person could live their entire life just off the land and my main concern is making it there.

I currently live in north central Fl and could literally make the trip to Ga with about half of the trip being on forest roads or very desolate 2 lane highways.The worst thing anyone could do is try to make their way on any mojor thoroughfare or stay in a high population area.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join