It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up, Ohio Meteorite Hunters!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Or more precisely, heads down!

METEORITE ALERT: Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office has issued a meteorite alert for residents of small towns east of Cleveland, Ohio. There could be space rocks on the ground waiting to be found. "On August 8 at 1:22 Eastern Daylight Time, all-sky cameras belonging to the Southern Ontario Meteor Network detected a fireball entering the atmosphere 54 miles above Lake Erie (80.944 W, 41.945 N), moving SSE at 25 km/s (55,900 mph). There is high confidence that this meteor produced meteorites." For one thing, the debris appears to have produced echoes from KCLE's doppler radar in Cleveland; note the circled reflections:

www.spaceweather.com...

There could be debris anywhere in the countryside around the Ohio towns of Warren, Kinsman, and Hermitage.

Read more in the article. If I lived out there I might go looking for one!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Wow... Take a look at this

Meteorite values and grades

I wonder what the public response is in that area? When a few openings at McDonalds jobs fairs bring 10's of thousands out, this sounds like a mini-gold rush "while supplies last!"...lol Even at the low end it looks like a couple hundred bucks a pound on the genuine article. It adds up quick when they price and pay by the gram I guess. Nice! I have relatives up there I ought to call.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

ya as long as they don't "flood" the market!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Very cool. I'm living just a few miles southeast of Cleveland. I'll have to keep an eye on the ground in the morning and look for some debris... it would be great if I could find some.

new topics

top topics

join