It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Non-Duality? Better Yet, What Is Duality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Is there a such thing as non-duality? If so, what is it? Is there more than one non-dual concept if it exists?

I believe non-duality can only be experienced from the realm of the self if it exists. For example, we have male and female, but you can usually only be one or the other. You can't love and hate at the same time. There is duality, but you can only be non-dual. Yes?

What can we imply from this knowledge? For one, conflict only arises from trying to be something you're not. If the self is non-dual, then it is single. If it is single, then conflict shouldn't exist within it. So conflicts within the self must come from the self trying to be something other than the self.

Well then what is the self? There is always the observer and the observation. The self is usually identified by the self as being the observer. But that is relative to myself. From your perspective, my observer/self is your observation/ 'not-self'. So which am I? Am I the observer or the observation? I am both. If I am both then what is the difference? Is there a difference? Is there an 'I'? Or is this only 'we'?

If there is no difference between the observation and the observed, then they are the same thing. If they are the same thing, then there isn't really a such thing as duality. Duality is objective. Non-duality is subjective. All anyone ever really has is their self. The self and non-duality are subjective. So then isn't non-duality and objectivity an unobtainable illusion?

I wonder if I'm making any sense to anyone. I guess I'll find out in a minute.
edit on 18-8-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Since the nature of reality appears to me to be non-dual, it makes sense that the nature of reality is also relative. If there is no absolute differentiation by dualistic comparison, then nothing can be said to be definite, and you are able to determine what it is for you. Thus relativity is possible in the first place. Non-duality gives birth to relativity which gives birth to duality. You can see how reality is an illusion crafted by relative perspective. There is no big and small, there is only relativity due to a non-dualistic singularity being unable to arrive at an objective conclusion.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The state of having two natures, which is often applied in physics. The classic example is wave-particle duality. The elementary constituents of nature—electrons, quarks, photons, gravitons, and so on—behave in some respects like particles and in others like waves.

Duality is often used in a more precise sense. It indicates that two seemingly different, theoretical descriptions of a physical system are actually mathematically equivalent. Such an occurrence is very useful. Various properties and phenomena are clearer in one or the other of the descriptions, and calculations that are difficult or impossible in one description may be simple in the other. In the case of wave-particle duality, the wave description corresponds to a theory of quantized fields, where the field variables are governed by an uncertainty principle. The particle description corresponds to a Feynman integral over all particle paths in spacetime. The quantized-field and path integral theories sound very different but are mathematically equivalent, making identical predictions.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
And what do we know about a singularity?

The same thing we know about dividing a number by two and then dividing the answer of that by two and repeating the process ad infinitum.

A singularity is infinitely small. Or is it infinitely large? Due to the nature of reality being non-dual, it doesn't really have a size. But if within this singularity there is the universe then the singularity is infinity itself.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Here's how I see it:

Duality is a quality of everything we perceive as physical.

That's because the perception of physicality depends on motion, and you can't have motion without at least two points to move between. So the simplest model for all energetic manifestations is based on two terminals held apart.

We see this in plus and minus charge, in the two magnetic poles, in the theory of matter and anti-matter, etc. Holding at least two points away from each other allows for the illusion we call "reality." If the two poles fell in on each other, the illusion would disappear.

Physical reality is created and perceived by a non-physical entity.

This entity has no set physical analogy. Therefore it can be described as infinite, or "all" or it can be described as a nothingness with the ability to create and perceive. Descriptions of it are unsatisfactory because it is the source of all descriptions.

The universe of this "creator being" can have a beginning a middle and an end. But if this being decides to put creation on "automatic" so it can pretend that physical reality is something separate from it, then that "self-perpetuating" universe must be cyclic, or in other words, vibrate, and this requires duality.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by l_e_cox

Physical reality is created and perceived by a non-physical entity.

This entity has no set physical analogy. Therefore it can be described as infinite, or "all" or it can be described as a nothingness with the ability to create and perceive. Descriptions of it are unsatisfactory because it is the source of all descriptions.

The universe of this "creator being" can have a beginning a middle and an end. But if this being decides to put creation on "automatic" so it can pretend that physical reality is something separate from it, then that "self-perpetuating" universe must be cyclic, or in other words, vibrate, and this requires duality.

Or if the creator being was somehow both infinity and nothing in a weird kind of paradox then by the possibility for relativity, the universe was formed and it appeared dualistic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Peace to you smithjustinb!
Might I say, I love seeing your brainstorming in action! It's fresh and genuine
I understood you perfectly well, and I enjoyed reading. It brings me honest happiness when I see others looking deeply into the nature of existence with sincerity. "conflict only arises from trying to be something you're not." Very nicely said! Also, it is indeed wonderful to see you begin to speak in relative and subjective terms instead of definitive absolutes.

This is my current relative truth, as they are personal, please disregard whatever doesn't sit right with you:

Duality is illusionary separation. Duality is just as much an illusion as ego. All the illusions are to help us experience and observe on a farce individual, subjective, and relative level.

Non-Duality is wholeness, oneness, completeness, and objectiveness.

What makes me believe that non-duality (oneness) is 'real' while duality (separation) is the illusion? Let me ask you this; can any single thing in existence arise or exist 100% alone and independently from anything else? Anything at all... can anything be without something else? This is articulated wonderfully by Lord Buddha as dependent co-arising; this is because that is. This expands to the Buddhist concept of 'emptiness,' i.e., lacking any individual or separate self. The fact that not one single thing can be, can arise, or can exist 100% independently is proof that there are no separate selves.

In my meditations, I have fleeting moments of awareness and experience of our oneness. Even experiencing the interconnectedness and oneness of existence, it still remains subjective and relative to me. I am still delving deeper to try to transcend it if possible in this 'physical' 3-dimensional existence.

Also, in my heart of hearts I feel that this is the truth of existence.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It is an illusion. There is no duality.
All there is is sensation and sensation is happening now.
There really is no you experiencing sensation, there is just sensation.
Experiencer and experience is what it seems to be but it is not, this is just an appearance.
The universe is all there is. Universe means to me, one song.
You and the universe is the illusion. You are being sung just like everything that you see.

Life is sensation appearing as form.

youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...

edit on 18-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This little video called 'What is non duality' will help you understand a bit more about duality and non duality.
youtu.be...
This one is called 'What non dualism is not'
youtu.be...
edit on 18-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Non-duality is the expression of a timeless state of consciousness and duality is the expression of time consciousness. Where there is no psychological (progressive or regressive) movement from one point to another, there is no duality. So duality is a psychological state where a flow of current passes between two polarities - what is to what might be or what is to what was. Duality is a fear-based reality and non-duality a trust-based reality.

The division of the brain into two hemispheres is a physical manifestation of duality. Human life is dualistic as it flows from the polarity of birth towards the polarity of death.

One concept of non-duality is expressed by Carlos Castaneda when he discusses the sorcerer's act of "stopping the world."

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

non-duality will exist in the inanimate and in life that does not have cognizance of the existence of the term. animals that do not think at the level of human beings will not know of the concept of duality, nor will humans who are born with major impedance. there will also be humans who suffer mishaps later in life and lose specific capabilities. even then, duality will exist among these animal and humans, as far as our concerns apply, from the outside as an observer. they just are not aware of same.

i feel duality is inherent in the thinking human because that life (in most cases) is the product of a male and a female. by genetics we inherit traits that favor either parent. even life types that are asexual, such as worms, may be considered to have duality because the two opposing traits of sexuality are present.

many children are raised in a two parent environment which further lends to build duality in the child, even if it is mostly through the child's observation of its role models.

most children attend public school from a young age. exposure to group builds further on the makeup of the child in so many ways. it is not until later in life, when the child has experienced years of observation, exposure and education, that the child is made aware of the concept of duality. by then this child has become multi-layered and complex.

if we did not have duality as part of our personality makeup we would not know humor. perhaps the lack of duality as it is attached to certain human behavior traits is what accounts for unacceptable behavior patterns. not to over-simplify, psychological traits & patterns of specific sorts lend to patients prognosis/diagnosis. makes me wonder if the absence or presence of duality is accountable for the traits which compose the person who we are.

as for "What is Duality?", to me it is akin to the use in movies and cartoons of the appearance on a character's shoulders of tiny people representing good & bad or devil & angel. two sides of a coin, both nagging at one's conscious, as the will to behave or mis-behave has one in a conundrum. 'Mixed emotions' is very similar IMHO. an internal struggle over whatever is on the mind at the moment.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

i feel duality is inherent in the thinking human because that life (in most cases) is the product of a male and a female. by genetics we inherit traits that favor either parent. even life types that are asexual, such as worms, may be considered to have duality because the two opposing traits of sexuality are present.

We have two hemispheres in our brain that operate dualisticly but we can only think one thought at a time. We have two eyes, but they see the same thing. There is male and female but you can only be one. You have two lungs but one breath. You see? Non-duality is subjective while duality is objective. All you will ever have is your self and your self remains forever subjective. So all you ever really have is non-duality.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I think I get what you are saying. This is how I think of it there are two realities one that is within our mind, this reality is just you one human the narsitic person everyone is, the other reality is when you introduce other people into your reality. Conflict arises out of the two trying to mash together.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Your beliefs shape how you perceive reality. If you are waiting on a savior, you might feel helpless until he arrives. If you believe you are your own savior, you will know responsibility and you will find fulfillment in fulfilling that responsibility.

new topics

top topics

join