It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perry's Skepticism Over Global Warming Strikes a Nerve

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Two days after drawing fire for blunt comments regarding Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, Perry decried the global warming issue as "politicized" and questioned the science behind it while speaking at an event in New Hampshire.

Now I can admit that Climate Change is up for debate on what causes it but there is no doubting the fact that the average global temperature is rising. What is causing this is another issue to be debated but to claim the data is being manipulated is just false.

Climate Change data is being manipulated especially by the likes of Al Gore but you will be hard pressed to find a scientist who will deny global warming.

Perry is starting to enter Michelle Bachmann territory with some of his comments.

www.miamiherald.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yes, but there are factors they leave out, like how much CO2 escapes our planet.

I believe we are told, as with everything, what they want us to believe. What they don't want us to know, we aren't told.

With everything.

As for me, I think Global warming is caused by radiation being trapped in our upper atmosphere, continually heating our planet.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

No argument there but the fact is that scientist are taking temeratures and comparing them to years past and it is going up. That is just an undeniable fact. You can argue anything else you want about the reasons why.

I don't believe Perry knows there is a difference between global warming and climate change. They are completely different beasts.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
1. The bit you posted on your skepticism of causation matches what you quoted, just under different jargon.

2. When the meteorologist who set up the weather channel states that the data was tweaked (this was specifically in response to the number of "hurricanes" in the year of Katrina, I'm inclined to believe that some data has ben changed or misrepresented. Not enough to annoy me because most of it can be verified in other ways.

3. I'd like to see the day when we cut off the tree's required breathing gas in a fit of paranoia. Oh, wait, we're already attempting to do that.

4. Gore IS a global warming nut.1:40/1:41

5. We're so busy doing crazy stuff like working to reduce CO2 emissions instead of doing research on the danged additive they replaced lead with in gas.

6. We pipe oil. Why are we not piping floodwaters to drier areas of the country?

7. I think it's a shame that it takes a "religious nut" to keep us from being obsessed with stuff that is not something we can fix. We have still not reached the average heat of the middle ages since the mini ice age that surrounds the Irish Potato Famine.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Anyone denying Global Warming is basically ignorant. I am studying Geology, Geophysics with a Minor in Mathematics here in TX so believe me when I say this, it's as real as real can get lol. The major key to global warming is the albedo of earth. In the history of Earth there have been many episodes of Ice Ages and transgressing shorelines, actually numerous. As I stated, the cause is the Albedo factor. That's the ability of the surface of Earth to reflect back the long wavelength radiation we accrue from the Sun. The highest albedo is held by the Ice Caps on Earth and the lowest by water, because it has the greatest heat capacity. So as the Ice caps melt and more water is exposed, Earth absorbs more infrared and long wavelength radiation which in turn heats up the Earth. What people don't realize is that Earth does this on it's own because it wants to be chemically stable, so if there's an ice age (since we're coming off of the last one), the Earth degasses it's interior of the volatiles which raises the temperature of the Earth to stabilize itself. It's an ongoing process, and yes there are external factors that do accelerate it, but according to my knowledge burning of fossil fuels matters, but not to a great extent. The precipitation of carbonaceous minerals in oceans helps store the CO2 but as the water heats up, that too dissolves and releases the carbon dioxide that it contains. It's actually a really amazing and beautiful process if you think of it, studying my major(s) has only showed me how Earth is very much alive and is an organism due to the mechanisms it processes daily, and over long periods of time!

Just my $0.02 if anyones interested lol
edit on 18-8-2011 by sirissacnewtone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I would suggest throwing a writing class into your schedule so you can learn about paragraphs. Good post but very hard to read

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Good thing im not an english major ehh Mr. Grammar Police lol jk

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I've been looking for an explaination that explains global warming with equations and technical details so I can understand and believe for myself, rather than rely on silly pop-explanations. For example, the popular explanations of quantum mechanics is a joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

There is plenty of information out there with graphs and charts to look at. There is only one place I know of claiming that the average global temperature is going down and they are not very trustworthy and being sued for all sorts of stuff.

It is interesting if you research you can see a strong similarity between Co2 rise and temps going up. Look from about 1920 to present and you will see both of those spiking rather sharply but you can decide on the causes for yourself.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I could explain the over all process to you but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that'd take a while. There's so many factors, but if you're wondering whether they're natural catalysts or artificial i can tell you for sure that's most important ones is done by Earth itself, not many artificial/man made concoctions really affect global warming on a large extent.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sirissacnewtone

I'm glad you enjoyed that.

I think the argument for some is whether CO2 causes global warming or warming causes increased CO2.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

It shouldn't be an arguement as it hasn't been proven conclusively that it is the major reason for global warming. It also hasn't been proven what is the biggest cause of Co2 and this is where people like Al-Gore and his bunch start twisting stuff around.

Of course the Co2 molecule is responsible for contributing but to what extent hasn't been shown yet.It's all theory at this point. The only thing certain is that the earth is warming up rather quickly.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

I think both are interchangeable. Global Warming is caused by the increase of the CO2 %age, which in turn also creates more CO2 to be released naturally until the chemical balance is reached. After that the process for Ice age starts again as soon as there's an abundance of CO2, carbonate minerals will be precipitated in the oceans which cools down the earth and causes a direct affect of increase in the ice caps. In the end its all about balance that takes place over thousands and millions of years, which is not that long on a geological time scale.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Absolutely, but when the other planets in this solar system are, too, showing signs of warming, as is ours, and then scientists conveniently leave info out, it makes it hard for us 'in-the-middle' people to take sides because we haven't had the complete 100% truth.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Well we finally agree on something

Probably the first and last time lol

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by 547000

There is plenty of information out there with graphs and charts to look at. There is only one place I know of claiming that the average global temperature is going down and they are not very trustworthy and being sued for all sorts of stuff.

It is interesting if you research you can see a strong similarity between Co2 rise and temps going up. Look from about 1920 to present and you will see both of those spiking rather sharply but you can decide on the causes for yourself.

I would like to understand the technical details so I understand the theory itself. I have a little math and physics background, and a good technical explanation would convince me. As we see the charts snd graphs one could argue that it's a fallacy of false cause. I'm just unable to find one that's specifically about global warming that doesn't assume you have no technical background. And textbooks are expensive.
edit on 18-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Search for "greenhouse effect" and that will give you the mathematical breakdowns of why the earth warms up. It should also lead you to the other causes which there are plenty of. That's too far involved of a question to answer with a simple post and will require some legwork of yours for a complete understanding.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

like Kro said, there's way to many variables to address, I spent 2 years studying the elements to completely understand every function. If you got time then take a geophysics class or just keep reading the scientific journals dealing with global warming online, they'll give you a much better insight if you can keep up with the scientific jargon!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sirissacnewtone

I might check out what geophysics references I can find. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well "warming" depends on your definition of warm.

And then the word "global", you mean America right?

Humans can't effect the Earth, men are too small to harm Earth

That would be like saying; "a tiny bacteria can kill a man"

Preposterous!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join