It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Top 500 Richest Americans Hold More Wealth Than The Bottom 150 Million Do

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by EmVeeFF
Fist off, this was the foundation of Karl Marx's Ideology

While I understand that redistribution of wealth is considered a form of Communism, lets just go ahead and get over the idea that we live in a true Capitalism right now.

What we actually live in is a form of Feudalism where the elite control everything, and the rest of us peasants live to serve them. True Capitalism in the US died pre-1900’s when your powerful elites started setting up shop in this country. These guys have so much money that they crush anyone who tries to live out the Capitalist dream and make it into their elitist circles. Very few make it into those circles in today’s world as the elite will use any means possible to ensure that anything that generates a large amount of money comes into their control.

These same elite burden the countries social services system by being cheap and unfair with their employees forcing them seek out government assistance to survive in a world where these same corporations constantly surge forward with the cost of services outside the reach of many Americans. All the while they take even more from these workers by using our tax system, and trickle down economics, to their advantage with the ever shrinking middle class footing the tax bill for their expanding profits while the majority of them pay little to nothing into that system.

While everyone is picking on the President over the unemployment rate, who is it that is in fact not hiring people? Is it the president, or is it these greedy corporations who have cut back staff, and increased unemployment in a bid to drive down the costs of the remaining labor through threat of losing their jobs if they do not agree to work harder for less money and benefits? All the while taking tax breaks on the back side so they can “trickle” it back into the economy?

Who is it that cut employees during the recession?
Who is it that eliminated health insurance, or make their employees now pay for it?
Who is it that increased the cost of insurances using Obamcare as an excuse?
Who is it that is sending our work overseas?
Who is it that keeps increasing the cost of their services?
Who is it that eliminated pensions for stock market based 401K’S?
Who is it that manipulated those markets, and crashed many of those 401K’s for profit?
Who is it that refuses to give salary increases?
Who got bailout tax money from us tax payers?
Who is it who by and large does not pay its fair share of taxes?
…And who is it that is taking additional tax breaks because they are supposed to be trickling it into growing our economy?

You want to know where the real economic bubble came from? It came from them having all the money on one side of the bucket, eventually it spilled over into our now recession. All caused by the elitists, with us footing the bill for their greed generated mess.

The attitude of the elitists is to let the middle class bear the burden for the unemployed (caused by them), the disabled, and the retired. If those people starve the elitists could really care less, as long as they don’t do it in front of their country club.
After all, its us serfs jobs to…

Buy their services.
Work for them at slave wages.
Pay for our fellow disabled/elderly surfs way.
Give them additional money whenever they want through our taxes.
Eat, breath, drink whatever toxic crap they throw into our environment.
Not interfere with their lifestyles, or try and enter their elite class.
Die.

No one is saying to unfairly redistribute wealth, but its time to start holding these greedy criminals to the same ethical standards that the rest of us are held to, to make them play fair with their employees, make them stop taking from the pot that we are paying into while they contribute little to nothing, stop them from interfering with other less powerful entrepreneurs, and force them to start contributing back into the country that made them wealthy to begin with.

They had the chance to play fair, and didn’t, now its time to force them too…
The first step IMHO is the removal of all lobbying and campaign contributions that give both the rich and their corporations unfair influence over our political leaders. Without that step we will never see politicians vote the conscience of their constituents, only what their corporate masters tell them to vote.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

this ^^^ is one of the most well spoken comments that i have ever read! ...thanx

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Timing

Dear Timing,

Thank you for your response, it was very encouraging. I think we can easily come to full agreement. The rich (or any one else) should not be able to "rig the game" in any illegal manner. It also seems to me that the "game" is in Washington. The intercourse (lovely word, that) between politicians and "riggers" has to be severely controlled. I'm with you all the way.

Thanks again,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
At one time, Bill Gates and a few of the other 500 were part of the 150 million. You too can be part of the top 500, just invent something that the world desperately needs and patent it.

Bill Gates was a rarity in this world. He had the right knowledge, the right people, and the right tools, at the right time, in a field that most did not understand. You can list the “Bill Gates” that have come along in the last 50 years on a single sheet of paper, and most of them have been in the technology realm (discounting those with certain talents, such as singers, athletes, actors, etc., and even then, often those folks have to know the “right people” to get where they are). If Bill Gates came along now, a larger corporation would have bought him out on the cheap or simply by-passed his patents.

Today, if you do not have money or know the right people, and you invent something, the economic sharks will come flocking to the money in the water in an attempt to buy it from you on the cheap. If you refuse to deal with them, they simply go to the patent office, take your idea, and tweak it or its manufacture process just enough to squeak it into its own patent, then put out a competing product. Since they have all the serious money to put behind it, they simply have to outlast you or out advertise you, and they win. That is, if the company that you work for when you invent it does not claim a right to your patent as you were their employee when you created it.

The chances of entering the elite via hard work is a fantasy that the elite use to keep us from taxing them with the excuse “why punish the best performers”. In fact, if you are one of a companies best performers, you can pretty much bet that you will never see any of that companies real profits from your work. You stand a much better chance of entering the elite by playing the Powerball then through personal effort and hard work.

Yes…
I have seen this happen first hand several times.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 8/18/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timing
And if you look back over the span of the years of the wealth holders then you would notice that there were more than 500 people with all the wealth and over the course of decades and bad governmental policy that number has shrunk to 500 and will keep shrinking as the polices that created the mess keep getting worse.

And who exactly do you think controls that government policy through lobbying and campaign contributions?

What you are in fact seeing is the higher level elites using their unfair influence to choke out the lower level elites to steal their wealth for themselves. It is not them going bankrupt because of something that the country did to them. This is exactly the reason why it is nearly impossible for anyone to enter the elite level through hard work. Once you start to accumulate wealth you draw a big target on your back for another more powerful elitist to stick a knife into it.

Originally posted by Timing
Then the majority of us will be middle class and should have a comfortable living. Although this article points out the extremes it is a well known fact that the middle class is shrinking also.

That's because the elitists want us to bear the burden for all their expenditures, still pay for their services, and take care of all the social services for our fellow citizens (much of which is generated by them). Even if you charged the middle class at 100% tax, we could not pay for all of that, so they are going to have to start paying back one way or another, either by paying middle class more and hiring more folks, or by paying taxes.

We have already seen their unwillingness to fairly help with the situation, so they are going to have to be forced to pay their fair share.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

So become rich and you won't have to worry about it. I'm sure the guys at the top wouldn't mind your company but you have to get there yourself.

Be a doer and not a complainer.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
remember...the carrot in front of the horse? its all about perception,not reality...everythings fine as long as that horse keeps dragging the heavy cart around and thinks with every step that it will get to the carrot.but the horse has been too far misled and too long lied to,brainwashed with empty promises and trained by false hopes to ever understand that its never gonna reach that carrot,but it just keeps on dragging that heavy load around till the day it dies....

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by blocula

So become rich and you won't have to worry about it. I'm sure the guys at the top wouldn't mind your company but you have to get there yourself.

Be a doer and not a complainer.

Wow. Become rich. I had never thought of that. Thank you, that's very enlightening. Did you hear that everyone? All we have to do is become rich! Wow we're so stupid for not thinking of that sooner.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
remember...the carrot in front of the horse? its all about perception,not reality...everythings fine as long as that horse keeps dragging the heavy cart around and thinks with every step that it will get to the carrot.but the horse has been too far misled and too long lied to,brainwashed with empty promises and trained by false hopes to ever understand that its never gonna reach that carrot,but it just keeps on dragging that heavy load around till the day it dies....
AND THIS ^^^ IS HOW WE TRY TO BECOME RICH

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Capitalism is not a zero sum game.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

That is The Lie. If only Joe Shmoe could invent cold fusion, or thorium power, or sentient cell phones, he wouldn't have to work at starbucks.

For one thing, most people could never invent those things. Are you advocating the massive disparity of wealth between motivated geniuses who get lucky, and the other 99.99% of the populace who are not and cannot be that person? Apparently you are.

You don't have to invent thorium power or sentient cell phones to become rich. People became rich from all sorts of ideas including simple things such as baked goods. It took some of those people 10, maybe even 20 years to get where they are today, but with perseverance and hard work they achieved their dreams. Every single little tiny thing you use every day, somebody had to come up with it, market it, produce it and sell it. Some things took years to catch on, some things took a few months. Good ideas and ways to make people's lives easier float around all the time. The trick is to work hard to make them a reality. Hell,.. I know I've got a couple every week or so, problem is I don't do anything about them.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

If your not rich or not on your way to becoming rich you lack 1 of 3 things.

1. The desire.

2. The knowledge

3. The drive

So do you want to be rich? If you answered yes than you must be ready to do whatever it takes. This means not having kids working multiple jobs and basically sacrifice everything in order to achieve it. If your not willing than quit complaining about it.

Do you know what to do other than just sticking money in a bank account? Every free minute should be used to gather knowledge about the markets, investments, and whatever can make you money. Then how do you turn that money into more money.

Are you willing to give up everything in pursuit of your financial security? If you answer no to any of these than you don't deserve to be rich or have the right to complain about those who are.

Maybe you'll get lucky and some rich relative will die leaving you millions because you won't have the abillity to do it on your own.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Yeah, I know, but most people will just call you a commie or something for thinking that there's something fishy about that. Whereas, I'm going to say that the richest 500 having more money than the bottom 150 million tells me that there's something very, very wrong with the system. It's sad when many billionaires are saying that something is wrong, but many normal people get up in arms when you even suggest such a thing.

That kind of rich/poor divide isn't capitalism, it's neo-fuedalism.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

the only thing wrong with this picture,

is that I am not in the top 500.

good for them.

i know, this kind of thinking is treason.

you want a job? ask a homeless guy.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Personally when i read threads like this i think to myself - WHY??
What do they need all that money for? I work hard, my friends work hard, were young, we wanna enjoy life to, we aint asking for a ridiculously easy ride through life. Just good food, Decent housing, nice area to raise a family with a decent car in which they dont try and screw us over in insurance, abit of spending money so you can go out once a week. Am i asking for to much?

I dont understand why they need/want that much money. Theres no point, People are starving across the world and living is fking squalor and this in the day and age of modern technology!
If only actual people, with actual human emotions like empathy ran the world, we'd all be better off and alot happier, there would be no rat race for the commoner.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by blocula

I'd like to understand your thinking a bit more clearly than I do now. Assume that you and I are identical in every economic respect; same income, bills, everything with one exception, I drink scotch and smoke cigars. Naturally, at the end of the month I have less money left than you do. (I spent mine on scotch and cigars.) This goes on for years until you eventually tell me you have $100,000 more than I do.

Is this state of affairs unfair? Have you done anything wrong to obtain your extra money? How is this situation hurting me? After all, I've had my fun while you were saving.

Maybe, after you've explained this to me we can discuss it more clearly. Thanks

Let's take this times 10. For 3 generations my forefathers worked 80 hours a week and invested wisely and now I'm born and inherit a few million dollars, couple houses, lots of land, couple of businesses, etc. What did I do to deserve the poor hating me and having my tax rate be 50% higher than yours? That example is not me, nobody in my family history was wealthy or passed money on. You can't choose your parents.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
reply to post by blocula

so poor people are poor because the wealthy have all the money?
how does that work?

poor are poor primarily due to the fact that we live in a semi-feudal society, and they aren't in the right class. it really really sucks but its true.

i blame it all on two classes the bankers and the politicians. leach A and leach B.

We have a limited amount of money in this world. If it all ends up in a few hands then there is not enough for the rest. it is really basic math.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think what people need to differentiate from here is that not everyone is out to "steal" anyones money. I'm sure some are all about the class warfare.

People like me are out to educate people to see that if you level the playing field by making the rules fair then the wealth naturally flows to the people who earn it. As it has been mentioned in previous posts about big money corporations filing patents of new technology to compete and put out of business the smaller mom and pops. This happening is a fact. Now how is that fair or more importantly, how should that even be legal?

Diverting and deflecting away the problems at hand "as not being smart enough, or not having enough drive, etc." is just that, nothing more than deflection.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
When everything goes tits up all these wealthy people will have more to lose, so sit back....and wait for our currencies to fail

They will have a bank load of worthless paper...with 0 buying power. They wont be able to hire their security guards to protect them, they wont be able to look down on you as they have nothing either....im sure it will be harder for a billionaire to lose everything than a normal person like you and i

Money is a scam....it always has been, and its coming to an end in the way that we know it.

edit on 18-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The richest Americans also have the most miserable and loneliest lives.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Where do you think the billions from the bank bailout went? Money doesn't disappear into thin air, it goes into someone's account.....

Crime pays big time in USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join