It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hershey exploitation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Government sticks its nose into everything, and when you allow corporations to donate money to politicians - you allow corporations to dictate policy....it is a vicious cycle. This strategy is being used by current day unions as well.

...and this Hershey-story is the exact epitome of this. Policies created and administered by the government are written and instituted specifically to benefit business.

If the published aim of the J-1 Visa program is knowledge-exchange and to gain personal experience in their fields of study that is not available in their home country, then please tell me what they're learning from packing boxes that helps that girl prepare for becoming a surgeon.

Jesus Christ (in a chicken-basket), no wonder other countries hate us so much

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Welcome to the land of the free.When you get out of your contract you should educate your fellow citizens of your home country not to trust anyone so blindly.Your own government is much too blame too.They totally sold you out or so you perceive it that way.Do you really expect me to believe that the native redneck guy in the video is gonna go to work when the unions clean up the corporations.

Corporations=bad
Unions=bad

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It kinda makes me sick... I can see a mom and pop shop needing to cut costs to get by, but we are talking a multi-million.. or billlion (!) dollar company!!!

Moneymoneymoneymoneymoney!!!!
We need more money!!! Cut labor costs! Use cheaper ingredients! No more health benefits!
No more breaks! More money!!! MORE MONEY!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

WOW! i am shocked hersheys, kids favorite of halloween times, is engaged in slave sweatshop labor. shame on you hersheys...i wanna email that youtube segment to them. the people controling things over their at hersheys, have killed an american favorite of chocolates. man, this is messed up news. thats like making a movie of willy wonka, his factory, but leather whipping kids to harvest his choclate, with red eyes and vampire teeth. thats how i invision the people running things up the ladder at hersheys.
ide rather buy foreign chocolate. from now on. or Lindtt choclate. its a ad day, when youde have to say to hershey, ide rather eat some ex lax choclate than your slave labor chocolate.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here is some info i could find on this matter.
indentured servitude reply to post by ziggy1706

www.un.org...

www.house.gov...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Okay, I take some of it back. The students were working for a Hershey subcontractor that got the students from a temp agency.

Last year AP did an investigation into some of the misuses of the J-1 Visa program. They discovered some very disturbing practices.

It appears that there are still some serious flaws in the J-1 Visa program. The State Department published a document that provides clarification of the J-1 Visa program that addresses the problems these students faced. Apparently some of the sweat shops didn't get the memo.

Anyway, the students got a lot of press and now some additional details are coming to light. The powers-that-be are offering some of the students the opportunity to travel to some historical and cultural sites in the US for free and still get paid. It's not clear whether the J-1 Students will accept this offer, or propose one of their own. The feds are also launching an investigation...

I have to say that I'm proud of these foreign students. They took the chance to upset the system in a country that they didn't even know very well. They risked being summarily deported back to their home countries. But they played the game well and achieved their goal of better treatment. I hope that US students would do the same.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

think of it this way, if it profits them to enslave someone and they can be sure to get away with it however if the bottom line was freedom, then they would not infringe upon a freedom even if it meant profit, it shouldn't be to surprising how often a business/corporation is left to make a decision of infringe on someones freedom? OR lose profit,

What you're not understanding is that slavery, properly, is defined as being held against your will from the time of your capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand compensation.

Hershey's is not infringing on anyone's freedom-- they are granted the freedom to leave or refuse work according to the stated compensation. When they are denied that freedom you can use terms like slavery and exploitation, until then, you're denying the company's economical freedom to hire workers according to their own dictations and policies. You're favoring political rights, which are based on economical rights, to release the workers of their own responsibility to decide for themselves and holding a business hostage because of it.

Don't like your compensation? Ask for a raise or find a new job. Most teenagers would be happy to fill these positions because a paycheck is a paycheck. I know I certainly would, it is quite difficult to find work right now and these immigrants are being recruited at the tax payer's expense and compensated at the tax payer's expense.

So, no, that's not the illusion i'm being fed-- that's ignorance of economics.

also dont forget, there is no freemarket when the whole market is dominated by monopolies

And monopolies exist because a central planner (in this case, government) keeps them in business (bailouts, etc.,) and shields them from the market forces that establish who succeeds or fails. Bad business or bad practices would not succeed without some government subsidies or assistance; no one would want to work for them, hence they must go outside the country to recruit. The government is protecting them and the government is funding it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join