It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I recently purchased an old vw van, and in my researching parts and info, I came across the story of the chicken tax in various placed.

It got me thinking about tax loopholes, and the extreme efforts, and massive waste companies will go through to avoid import taxes.

I was under the impression that raising taxes on in ports would be a great tool for recreating American manufacturing jobs, but apparently I was wrong, as per this example.

Now I am not sure where I stand. I am waiting for other opinions, and informed takes on the matter.

I know that wiwipedia isn't the end all be all... But I read the entry, and it seems pretty complete judging from what I have read.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for your input, in advance.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

More info to get you going.

The Chicken tax was a 25% tax on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks imposed in 1963 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson as a response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.[1] The period from 1961–1964[2] of tensions and negotiations surrounding the issue, which took place at the height of Cold War politics, was known as the "Chicken War".[3]

This tax circus is still going on today with the auto industry.

Car interiors are shredded in mass at the point of entry...Baltimore, to avoid the tax.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Someone's going to make a racist joke about this.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJames1337

I guess you already did.

Thanks

new topics

top topics

join